Do P4s need UPS?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Hewlett Packard
Last response: in CPUs
March 24, 2002 4:07:57 PM

Dear all,

I need some advice...

A friend recently bought an HP P4 system from Best Buy. The sales person told my friend that she HAD to buy a UPS system or the P4 processor would soon burn out due to the power drain. The sales person told my friend that all P4 systems needed this to keep the CPUs from burning out. That doesn't make ANY sense to me. Is this in any way true or were they trying to score sales off of an inexperienced buyer? My friend supports mainframe computers (like I do) but she has relatively little experience with PCs...

I told my friend that having a UPS system isn't necessarily a bad thing. I bought one for each of my Athlon PCs because power in our area was erratic for awhile with all-too-frequent 1-second power outages. Of course, the UPS that they told her that she needed was their top-of-the-line one. My friend at least bought a cheaper one.

If this is NOT true (like I suspect that it isn't) then I plan to complain to the manager AND my friend will file complaints with the local BBB and the state Attorney General's office. If it IS true then I'll have to remember this when people ask me what kind of PC they should get...

Thanks,
Glen Guenther

More about : p4s ups

March 24, 2002 4:11:06 PM

lol complain away your friend was snookered what a crock !!!! bright side is , as you mentioned a UPS IS a good thing to have BUT a p-4 will die of the power drain MUWAAAAAHAAAHAAA almost funny until ya think of how many others this dweeb used that line on

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my North<font color=red> AND</font color=red> South bridges for <font color=green>Trolls</font color=green></font color=blue>
March 24, 2002 4:16:50 PM

you dont <b>NEED</b> a UPS for a P4. the only reason you would need one is if (like you said) you are experiencing frequent power outage (plus a few more...but that is the most important).
all i know is that the guy at bestbuys is an idiot.

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 24, 2002 4:17:22 PM

This is beyond retarded. Tell your friend to go back to best buy with a lawyer and have that sales person fired. these are the types of f*ckers who tell my grandma she needs a 2GHz system to send her e-mail. As soon as i've got the cash to charter a jet to a non-extradition treaty contry i'm gonna go on a best-buy-ass-kicking rampage.

no vestige of a beginning, no prospect of an end, when we all disintegrate, it'll all happen again.
March 24, 2002 4:42:52 PM

Your definately dont need a UPS for anything , although having one for computers is a very good idea.

Here in Lebanon power is the last thing you can trust, esp. after israel bombed its way into 2-3 of our most important stations since '96 twice , so almost all PCs have backup UPS's.

I suggest your friend check out first if that salesman is misinformed or really trying to rip you off .

Any mystery devised by mortal mind can be solved therewith - Holmes
March 24, 2002 4:47:38 PM

anyways im curios to know how much of the US PC users have backup UPS's with their PC's ?

March 24, 2002 5:10:50 PM

Quote:

Here in Lebanon power is the last thing you can trust, esp. after israel bombed its way into 2-3 of our most important stations since '96 twice , so almost all PCs have backup UPS's.

heh... here in northen Israel, power is the last thing you can trust. with lebanoni bassed terrorists knocking down power lines with rockets evry now and then... heh...

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled
March 24, 2002 5:32:57 PM

I resent your pitiful attempt at renaming local civil resistance as terrorism.

occupation calls for resistance , and balance of power calls for fighting back. so, yes, we have every right to attack when we see you attacking, because we are brave men who are not afraid to die in support of greater cause, as opposed to all of you materialistic cowards who stay in basements at the faintest rumor of slingshots being fired!!

we fight for our own freedom, yes , we , and we dont need the support of the US to do so, which is wayyyy more that can be said about dog sharon's massacres in palastine that are so daily and commonplace now that many dont even make the news !!!

just shut up and run along because you know that the whole notion of 'israel' is wrong, its Arab Palastine - and the one responsible of helping you occupy it was Belfor, prime minister of Britian, who promised jews 'israel' to sway them against germany in the course of world war one , right after he had allied with us !!

dont get me started now ...

March 24, 2002 7:20:16 PM

Ah yes, I remember how Lebanon is full of power outages. Last summer there, almost each 15 minutes it was happening...

Oh btw, please calm down, don't bring up those stories now, we had a debate a few weeks ago in war stuff, but your last post will bring up too much flaming, so delete it, as a fellow Lebanese and also because I don't want any disputes between our neighbouring country. Sorry iib if you felt any rage now, but DON'T reply, I don't want this thread to turn to a race war.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!
March 24, 2002 7:35:52 PM

uh oh uh oh uh oh. As for the Israeli occupation issue, you really might want to take this to the 'other' board before it escalates here.

As for the UPS issue.. Unless your area is full of power outages (as mentioned), it's not neccesary. The sales person lied.

<i>My life wasn't complete untill I tried sse-2 optimized pong</i>
March 24, 2002 7:50:41 PM

I dont really want to start a flame or anything because it would lead to no where , i just want to make it clear that 'terrorists' is definately not an ever remotely appropriate term for national resistance.

March 24, 2002 7:59:55 PM

it is all in the perception of the beholder .. one man's freedom fighter is anothers terrorist ..

please let it go guys we are all aware of the political and human suffering on both sides and I like most of the rest of the world just wish you all would stop the ever escalating reprisals against each other.. it solves nothing and prevents any solution what -so- ever

fwiw I always use a UPS as it also conditions the line and can add a little extra time to the MTBF numbers

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my North<font color=red> AND</font color=red> South bridges for <font color=green>Trolls</font color=green></font color=blue>
March 24, 2002 9:32:44 PM

argh noooooooooo
not another lebanon/israel flame thead LOL
:smile:

im from australia, and while generally power here is decent they do have a habbit of dropping phases to certain suburbs, leading to brownouts, and the suburb i live in seems to be prone to 1 second blackouts... always blaming "possums" of course.

so im tempted to get a UPS to prevent a blackout/brownout/lightning strike from screwing with my system and OS.

The way my life is going if i expect nothing i
will still end up being dissapointed. :frown:
March 24, 2002 9:35:37 PM

A p4 from bestbuy does not need UPS, however, if you order a p4 from online, it will require UPS.....unless you pay extra for FedEX, personally I dont see the need to pay extra, so UPS it is.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
March 24, 2002 10:31:59 PM

How is a "P4 from bestbuy" different from a P4 ordered online, Mat? Best Buy sells Compaq, HP, Sony, etc. that use the P4, anywhere from 1.6 to 2.0 GHz. Also sold are Micron and Alienware configured from the factory. Are they somehow made differently for the stores?

A UPS is a good idea, but not a necessity. If you get a lot of brownouts or have inconsistent power (on a high floor in a dorm or apartment complex, etc.) it can save a lot of wear-and-tear on your system, and possibly your information if you are not saving constantly. Otherwise, a quality surge protector, rated at 1500-2000 joules, is fine. Those can be had for $20-50, depending on brand.
March 24, 2002 10:33:08 PM

Y'know, I should really read the posts fully before hitting the "reply" button.

Duh, sorry, Mat. ;) 
March 24, 2002 10:35:47 PM

LOL LOL

My bad, it was slightly off topic, lol.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
March 24, 2002 10:58:02 PM

didnt you get the pun ? mat used UPS as in "United Postal Service" as opposed to "Uninterruptable Power Supply"

:) 

March 25, 2002 3:27:54 AM

damn, freak'n taliban regrouping at thgc!

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"
March 25, 2002 3:47:09 AM

I live in a country that had been occupied by Japan for about 35 years. Not everything can be justified in the name of national liberation. There are nearly one million PRK soldiers less than 200 kilometers from my home. They do it all in the name of national liberation and millions of South Koreans also call America nothing more than what you call Israel. Terror is terror whether it's done in the name of justice or God or National Liberation and it's wrong.

Searching for the true, the beautiful, and the eternal
March 25, 2002 4:03:01 AM

Quote:

I resent your pitiful attempt at renaming local civil resistance as terrorism.

those "local civil resistance" had no problem knocking down more then a few Israeli AND US installations around the world... Killing "Civilians".

these "local resistance" still try to engage fights with Israel by constant shelling of air-crafts (evrey now and then) and somtime firing some missiles or kidnaping (and Killing) some soldiers from International borders (after the Israeli withdraw).

the "local resistance" still prech for war with Israel, Still not accepts its existence (in any form). and still denies and actes against any kind of normalization between we and the arab world (under any condition).

thats one hack of "local civil resistance" ...
but why blame youself? I mean there not really lebanoni terrorists... they dont represnet lebanon or the people of lebanon... thats why I said "lebanoni bassed".
thier just syrian pupites... much like lebanon itself.
hey - if you want to take up "freedom fighting" you might want to do this against the ones who REALLY have been Occupying lebanon for the past decade - and cousing it ALOT more damage then knocking down a power-plant once or twice...

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by iib on 03/25/02 08:07 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 25, 2002 4:09:55 AM

Well, it had me going for a second there but I got the joke and I liked it! At the same time, though, I'll *ALWAYS* pay extra for FedEx. UPS (and not the battery backup kind) has royally screwed up WAY too many of my orders to take a chance with them. I don't order from companies who only use UPS. Heck, I'll even take regular postal deliveries over them!

Thanks,
Glen Guenther
March 25, 2002 5:03:39 AM

Lagger,

Thanks to you and all of the others who replied! I have to admit that I haven't kept up with my reading as much as I should (here at Tom's Hardware, of course) but I knew that I would have seen a comment like that SOMEWHERE if a P4 needed a UPS to keep from burning out! For 1 thing, I'd think that AMD would milk that for all it's worth...

As for the scum-sucker who conned my friend, I'm going to drop by Best Buy tomorrow and complain to the manager and I'm sure that my friend will be in their face, too. She was my team leader for awhile so I know that she's lethal to deal with when you lie to her (fortunately not from personal experience). I can't accept the theory another poster suggested in that he was merely misinformed. The thought that a P4 needed a UPS had to come from somewhere. He's pulling facts out of... well, never mind what orifice he's pulling them from. The thought that he'd say this out of incompetence doesn't make me feel any better than the thought that he'd say this out of greed.

Thanks, again, for everyone posting! This is exactly what I expected to hear back but before my friend starts filing complaints with the BBB, the state Attorney General's office, and (what the heck!) with HP itself, I wanted to make sure that I was giving her accurate information.

Thanks,
Glen Guenther
March 25, 2002 2:22:48 PM

Quote:
A p4 from bestbuy does not need UPS, however, if you order a p4 from online, it will require UPS.....unless you pay extra for FedEX, personally I dont see the need to pay extra, so UPS it is

i thought you were making a joke...
Quote:
LOL LOL

My bad, it was slightly off topic, lol

i guess not...lol

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:
March 25, 2002 2:36:34 PM

No, it was a joke. Pretty funny one, too.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2002 6:16:18 PM

The only reason Isreal needs U.S. backing is because they are surrounded by Arabic bigots who would choose to kill them all rather than attempt to live peacefully. Any attempt to stike a compromise between Isreal and its enemies is always blown into oblivian by some terrorist. As long as a people support terrorist, they have no room to complain about inconviences caused by Isreal's retaliation. If Isreal were to leave the land of the damned, and come to the United States, the terrorist would follow.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
March 25, 2002 7:38:14 PM

Well I'd say it's Syria who has been threatning us. I was down there in Lebanon last summer, my dad's cousin got caught and sent to prison because he was standing for his country in a meeting, and because of Syrian soldiers thinking they control us. We're pretty angry, and our ^&*^*&#@ government won't act. If we had a decent gov, we'd have rid of Hesbollah, and Syria's occupation to live in harmony with you guys. Personally I am 100% for peace down there, I simply cannot stand seeing freaking suicide bombers each day or those marching riots in the palestinian streets, ughhh...god sometimes I feel ashamed of my race...

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!
March 26, 2002 1:44:03 AM

I have a UPS on my man machine, but not the others. Too much cash to waste on machines that can be recovered no matter how bad they get hosed!!

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!
March 26, 2002 1:53:38 AM

Never thought id see terror attacks in the CPU section!!

Although I do support Isreal as the USAs best base for beating back the hoards (have the nukes ready for when you are overrun and take out the whole region) in the coming war that ends the world, I dont think this is the best place to debate this.

OK, I admit that was pretty bad taste, but maybe one of you can suggest a politics board and we can point fingers and throw accusatins all day.

Hey maybe THGC will be known in the future as the message board that started the conversation that prevented the end of the world by getting both sides to admit that their side has done many wrong things and its time to start over.

March 26, 2002 2:08:44 AM

heh
how predictable that this thread ends up like an occupation one.

i think we need a special forum for hitler/nazi's/occupation/korea/israel/tc
where people can rant happly without polluting threads :smile:

Morally destitute, Emotionally bankrupt but a proud and respected member of Toms Forums! :smile:
March 26, 2002 4:38:14 AM

In reply to:

"argh noooooooooo
not another lebanon/israel flame thead LOL"

I musta missed the first one (or last one =)

March 26, 2002 5:17:30 AM

Quote:

Well I'd say it's Syria who has been threatning us. I was down there in Lebanon last summer, my dad's cousin got caught and sent to prison because he was standing for his country in a meeting, and because of Syrian soldiers thinking they control us. We're pretty angry, and our ^&*^*&#@ government won't act.

thats what "freedom fighting" is for... Fighting for your freedom... no better time then now, with Syria being not so popular with the US...
though - dont go off doing somthing stupid - I like you on the forum :)  .

Quote:

to live in harmony with you guys. Personally I am 100% for peace down there

yeah me to! woul'd love to come down to lebanon for a lan party or somthing :)  .

Quote:

I simply cannot stand seeing freaking suicide bombers each day or those marching riots in the palestinian streets, ughhh...god sometimes I feel ashamed of my race...

Don’t be. My problem with the Palestinians is the constant preaching of religious fanatics for a war of Jihad with Israel – they are brain washing the Palestinian people. If this religious fanatic continues there will be no chance for peace no matter the efforts of either side…
People who are willing to commit suicide just for taking the life's of others is un precedent in history…

In Israel we have laws against this sort of things – and a couple of political movements with racist Ideas have been band from our parliament by law…
This should be the state of things in the Palestinian authority as well…

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by iib on 03/26/02 09:21 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 26, 2002 5:54:58 AM

I say we end this once and for all. If this last cease fire doesn't work, and no negotiation or compromise can be reached I say you all fight it out.

Let the Palestinians use their Iranian supplied arms, and let the Israelis use their US supplied arms and lets see if we can just end this. Put your money where your mouth is.

I'm sick of this now. Neither people can live a normal life. The Palestinians really need to stop using terrorism as a tool. I can't argue if a Palestinian decides to attack the Israeli military in the name of a future Palestine, but suicide bombing and killing civilians? This has to stop. The Israelis need to just sit tight and stop moving into Palestinian refugee camps and if this last round doesn't work out, they should end it. Full scale attack.

<font color=red>First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.</font color=red><font color=blue>
!