palm turns on when sd card is inserted

April 25, 2005 12:48:03 AM

Hello. I have a tungsten T5 and everytime I put my 1 gig sandisk sd
card back in my palm turns on. This is very annoying and I am just
wondering if there is any way to turn this feature off. Any question
just reply
April 25, 2005 9:05:07 AM

If a device locked up such that it didn't respond to pressing any of
the hard buttons or the reset, it's highly unlikely it would respond to
having a card inserted.

I'd be interested to know why the OP finds it annoying that it turns
on. Presumably you're present when the card is inserted (!), so how
hard is it to turn the unit off again? If the annoyance was that it
switched away from your current application, I'd understand.

- PG
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 11:54:03 AM

On 24 Apr 2005 20:48:03 -0700, "chado" <chadbert2@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello. I have a tungsten T5 and everytime I put my 1 gig sandisk sd
>card back in my palm turns on. This is very annoying and I am just
>wondering if there is any way to turn this feature off. Any question
>just reply

I'm very new to the Palm OS and certainly no expert, but if my Treo
crashed and was locked up, I'd be grateful that inserting the SD card
(with my backup program) turned the device on.
April 25, 2005 1:15:18 PM

"PaddyG" <disposable1@psae.f2s.com> wrote in message
> If a device locked up such that it didn't respond to pressing any of
> the hard buttons or the reset, it's highly unlikely it would respond to
> having a card inserted.
>
> I'd be interested to know why the OP finds it annoying that it turns
> on. Presumably you're present when the card is inserted (!), so how
> hard is it to turn the unit off again? If the annoyance was that it
> switched away from your current application, I'd understand.
>
> - PG

I was curious why the OP considered that such an insurmountable annoyance
also, but decided against making an issue of it. After suffering a number of
reset loops forcing a hard reset, I'm happy if it turns on at all.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 6:22:20 PM

chado:

>Hello. I have a tungsten T5 and everytime I put my 1 gig sandisk sd
>card back in my palm turns on. This is very annoying and I am just
>wondering if there is any way to turn this feature off. Any question
>just reply

Ric:

I'm very new to the Palm OS and certainly no expert, but if my Treo
crashed and was locked up, I'd be grateful that inserting the SD card
(with my backup program) turned the device on.

PaddyG:

> If a device locked up such that it didn't respond to pressing any of
> the hard buttons or the reset, it's highly unlikely it would respond to
> having a card inserted.
>
> I'd be interested to know why the OP finds it annoying that it turns
> on. Presumably you're present when the card is inserted (!), so how
> hard is it to turn the unit off again? If the annoyance was that it
> switched away from your current application, I'd understand.
>
> - PG

I very much agree with the OP. I used to experience the exact same problem
when I was using my M130. This happened when:

-My PDA was slow (particularly in reading the card contents).

-The card was filled with many files, e.g. a collection of photos.

As a result, card insertion slowed down any access to the launcher (even
though it shouldn't have). By default, it was left loose in the side
compartment.

I have never found a real solution, but it seems as if OS 5.0, which I now
use on a Tungsten, does not suffer from this flaw. I also keep a small
number of applications on my SD card so much of the /quantity/ is in the
internal memory. It is not a solution, but a suggestion.

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com

It is alleged that chado claimed:

; Hello. I have a tungsten T5 and everytime I put my 1 gig sandisk sd
; card back in my palm turns on. This is very annoying and I am just
; wondering if there is any way to turn this feature off. Any question

I'm guessing it's a feature because the assumption is that if you are
inserting a card, you want to access it immediately, otherwise why
bother?

What annoys me is that inserting the card will occasionally open the
default launcher instead of LauncherX.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Doesn't matter. If we lived two hundred years, we'd still be human.
We'd still make the same mistakes." (Lt. Cmdr. Ivanova, B5"Soul
Hunter")
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 2:39:20 AM

Jeffrey Kaplan <cspp@gordol.org> wrote:

>I'm guessing it's a feature because the assumption is that if you are
>inserting a card, you want to access it immediately, otherwise why
>bother?

Sounds like a reasonable guess Jeff.

Now what's your guess on why it turns on when you take the card *out*... ;)
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 2:39:21 AM

> Now what's your guess on why it turns on when you take the card *out*...
> ;)

Good point. I too find it annoying that the PDA turns on automatically. I
often store pictures on an SD card in order to take them to have "hard
copies" made. The card is so small that it would be easy to lose so I
always place it in my PDA, since I always have it with me anyway.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 2:39:21 AM

It is alleged that AaronJ claimed:

; Jeffrey Kaplan <cspp@gordol.org> wrote:
;
; >I'm guessing it's a feature because the assumption is that if you are
; >inserting a card, you want to access it immediately, otherwise why
; >bother?
;
; Sounds like a reasonable guess Jeff.
;
; Now what's your guess on why it turns on when you take the card *out*... ;)

Um, it's a hardware switch in the widget that locks the card in? IOW,
it does a "power on" command when the card is pushed into the lock
spring? :)

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"I've had my fill of double shifts." "Perhaps you'll remember that
next time Ms. Sakai visits the station." (Cmdr. Sinclair and Lt. Cmdr.
Ivanova, B5 "TKO")
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 2:39:21 AM

In message <c6sq611enq7grj73s7jfh240uqke1aaf25@4ax.com> AaronJ
<noemail@noemail.com> wrote:

>Jeffrey Kaplan <cspp@gordol.org> wrote:
>
>>I'm guessing it's a feature because the assumption is that if you are
>>inserting a card, you want to access it immediately, otherwise why
>>bother?
>
>Sounds like a reasonable guess Jeff.
>
>Now what's your guess on why it turns on when you take the card *out*... ;)

Probably to notify applications that the card was removed.

--
Acquaintance A person you know well enough to borrow from,
but not well enough to lend to.

Jeffrey Kaplan <cspp@gordol.org> wrote in

> What annoys me is that inserting the card will occasionally open the
> default launcher instead of LauncherX.

Hmmmm.... What model? I've never had that happen with either a Zire 71
or a T3, with literally thousands of insertions over the years, and
LauncherX on both of them.

--
Regards,

Stan

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 4:12:14 AM

It is alleged that Stan Gosnell claimed:

; > What annoys me is that inserting the card will occasionally open the
; > default launcher instead of LauncherX.
; >
; Hmmmm.... What model? I've never had that happen with either a Zire 71
; or a T3, with literally thousands of insertions over the years, and
; LauncherX on both of them.

Kyocera 7135, OS 4.1. It doesn't happen all the time, only sometimes.
But OTOH, I only have one card which I leave in there 98% of the time.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"When asked what was being done to counter this threat, Harris said
only, that extreme measures may be required." (ISN News, B5 "Messages
From Earth")
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 4:13:45 AM

AaronJ <noemail@noemail.com> wrote in

> Now what's your guess on why it turns on when you take the card
> *out*... ;)

Because you want to put another in. ;-)
I don't see what the fuss is about either way. The Palm will turn itself
off in a few seconds or minutes anyway, depending on what you've set it
to.

--
Regards,

Stan

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 7:50:20 AM

"MisterJJ" <idts@noway.com> wrote:

>I too find it annoying that the PDA turns on automatically.

Getting the PDA turned on automatically is not all that annoying to me since I
also always let it get turned off automatically. It may seem odd to put it in
your pocket with the screen still glowing, but I want to save that delicate (as
reported here) on-off switch for more important stuff such as a hard reset.

But it was a good question, and the obvious answer from the numerous answering
posts seems to be that nobody here knows the answer... ;)

>The card is so small that it would be easy to lose so I
>always place it in my PDA, since I always have it with me anyway.

I generally carry 3 cards with me. One in the slot and 2 in the wallet. I carry
em bare in the wallet and have yet to have any card malfunction problems. Two
fit quite nicely in the bottom of a credit card slot.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 7:58:05 AM

DevilsPGD <ihatespam@crazyhat.net> wrote:

>In message <c6sq611enq7grj73s7jfh240uqke1aaf25@4ax.com> AaronJ

>>Now what's your guess on why it turns on when you take the card *out*... ;)
>
>Probably to notify applications that the card was removed.

But it could easily have been programmed to do that and turn itself quietly back
off without leaving the screen glowing and sounding the chime. BTW the chime is
different for in and out. That may be a clue...
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 8:05:41 AM

Stan Gosnell <murkuhn@gmail.com> wrote:

>I don't see what the fuss is about either way.

No fuss Stan. I thought it was an interesting question. And since AOL pulled out
this place has been a little slow anyway. So a little *friendly* chatter is
always welcome... ;)
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 9:50:30 AM

> I generally carry 3 cards with me. One in the slot and 2 in the
> wallet. I carry em bare in the wallet and have yet to have any card
> malfunction problems. Two fit quite nicely in the bottom of a credit
> card slot.

I usually carry 3 also - one in the Palm, with my everyday apps and
databases, and 2 in the cover of the hard case, one with Mapopolis and
all the maps for the US, and one for general storage. I carry the Palm
in my hip pocket most of the time, but if I'm wearing pants or shorts
with cargo pockets it goes in one of those.

--

!