Sign in with
Your question

How does this AMD XP system look?

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2002 6:44:18 PM

My computer is failing fast and I need to get another, probably within 10 days. Here's the plan:

AMD XP 1700
64 MB Radeon 8500 (retail)
MSI MS-6380E KT3 Ultra KT333 (or Soltek SL-75DRV5 KT333)
256 or 512 MB DDR PC2100 RAM (depends on price)
40 Gig Maxtor 7200 RPM HD
Creative 52 CD-ROM
Ricoh CD-R/RW
Netliink 320K 4X5.25 3x3.5 bay w/ 300 watt power (ATX)
Floppy
Creative SB 5.1
Win XP or 98SE

Look OK? Compatable? For gaming.

Main questions:
1) Which Mobo to use? I could also pick up the IWILL 333.
2) 512 MB RAM or an upgrade somewhere else?
3) Is that system going to be upgradeable? Better Vid card in the future, more powerful processor etc.

Thanks!

More about : amd system

March 24, 2002 6:57:43 PM

1-I would go the IWill333, good mobo

2-if you are getting a 333FSB board, then 512MB of PC-2700 to go with it :) 

3-Might want to wait for a couple weeks for the thouroughbreds to come out. The prices of the earlier AXPs are going to drop like mad, and the newer AXPs will have better performance. If you don't plan on overclocking, you may want to get a Geforce3 Ti, which should run for no more than $170 about. The R8500 and Ti500 are close, but i've had better experience with the Ti500

"When there's a will, there's a way."
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2002 7:05:44 PM

"-I would go the IWill333, good mobo"

I heard it was good, too. Until the KT333 boards came out that is what I was going to get. But I heard the KT333 was faster and didn't have the usual VIA problems.

"2-if you are getting a 333FSB board, then 512MB of PC-2700 to go with it :) "

I've heard that...but expensive. I heard you need to mess around with the mobo in order to make using PC2700 ram useful. I don't like that idea :( 

"3-Might want to wait for a couple weeks for the thouroughbreds to come out."

What are those? Newer XP CPU's?

"Geforce3 Ti, which should run for no more than $170 about."

The Geforce Ti500 almost 2X as expensive as the 8500. The Ti200 is about on par with the 8500. Canada.

thanks.
Related resources
March 24, 2002 7:16:05 PM

Ah you're in Canada, so I should be able to help you more price wise!
1rst, Thoroughbreds are the next AthlonXP cores, built in the 0.13m process so they can go higher speeds, lower heat and power consumptions, so you might prefer that if you want silent cooling with no overheats.
Yes the Radeon 8500's price is actually below the Ti200's in Canada, they are around 289$ or higher, which is extremly worth it here. Ti500s sell for about 479$, so it ain't worth it. Otherwise you can get the Ti200 and overclock it to Ti500 speeds, which most have done with no additional cooling, but it still voids the warranty and is risky. Mine runs at Geforce 3 speeds.
As for RAM, the KT333 won't give any better performance than a KT266A if you don't get the RAM appropriate. Otherwise look for the Epox 8KHA+, best performance mobo for KT266A chipset, and couple it with PC2100 CAS2 RAM.

Good luck!
BTW where are you in Canada? That might also help in locating nearby stores for good pricing.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2002 7:43:46 PM

"Thoroughbreds are the next AthlonXP cores, built in the 0.13m process so they can go higher speeds, lower heat and power consumptions, so you might prefer that if you want silent cooling with no overheats."

That'd be nice...but how much would it cost me? ;) 

"Yes the Radeon 8500's price is actually below the Ti200's in Canada, they are around 289$ or higher"

I found one for $275. Hopefully it's still on sale when I buy it.

"As for RAM, the KT333 won't give any better performance than a KT266A if you don't get the RAM appropriate."

What about the VIA problems that I hear so much about? I've also found that the 2 boards I mentioned are cheaper than KT266A boards.

"PC2100 CAS2 RAM."

Is CAS2 RAM a brand?

"BTW where are you in Canada? That might also help in locating nearby stores for good pricing."

I live in Surrey, BC. The nearest places that seem to have the best prices are NCIX and ATIC. I'm just buying components and will have someone else build it.

Thanks.
March 24, 2002 9:44:56 PM

lol
CAS2 is the speed/quality rating of ram.

for sdr and ddr ram it comes in a couple of different ratings for each speed.

so for PC2100 DDR ram u are most likely to see Cas2 and Cas2.5. cas2 is better as its latency is lower, offering better performance and, typically, a greater ability to overclock.

at the moment, all brands of PC2700 are Cas2.5... except one, corsair XMS2700 cas2... but its quite expensive at the moment.

The way my life is going if i expect nothing i
will still end up being dissapointed. :frown:
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2002 10:10:31 PM

Thanks.

All I need to know now is what Mobo to get. Do the KT333's still have VIA issues? Is the IWILL XP333 still the best, even w/o PC2700 RAM?

How far will prices fall if I wait a few weeks? I can't wait long. This comp is dying as I type :( 
March 24, 2002 10:18:08 PM

Lol, heh, if I had known you lived in Canada, I would've set the price ratios differently. Well, to answer your first question, the KT333 doesn't have an known issues, very stable, a bit faster than the Kt266a, although it may not be worth the additional cost. IWILL33 is still a good board, Epox is good for overclocking, Asus, heck the list can go on for a while. As per your last question, I would expect prices to delcine rather sharply soon. AMD has set the t-bred AXP for no later then endof Q1, so thats a maximum of 4 or so weeks.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2002 10:34:48 PM

"Well, to answer your first question, the KT333 doesn't have an known issues, very stable, a bit faster than the Kt266a, although it may not be worth the additional cost. "

Well, the MSI and Soltek KT333 boards that I know of are actually cheaper than the KT266A boards. Those are the two that I listed in my system description. I believe the MSI was benchmarked in toms KT333 vs. KT266A comparison. Bottem rung amongst KT333 boards, but still better than KT266A boards. The Soltek wasn't in there, which is why I ask. I haven't seen any other KT333 boards in stock anywhere.

"AMD has set the t-bred AXP for no later then endof Q1, so thats a maximum of 4 or so weeks. "

The end of Q1 is this month (in about a week). Takes a little while for prices to go down after a new product is launched?

Thanks!
March 25, 2002 4:16:35 AM

yeah baby! pretty cool sys you got there, I would get a Audigy and that WinXp sounds right, MSI probably ok but I would go with a soyo dragon, 'cause I like fire breathing things!

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"
March 25, 2002 6:17:20 PM

you may want to think about a better cd rom, that creative has a max dae speed of 8x (means it can only read audio cds at 8x) its even worse at reading cdr and cdrw. kenwood makes a good cd reader.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.
March 25, 2002 6:50:47 PM

Do you know he's buying an AMD system Meltdown? Or are you drunk dead when you read his system and decided for once to respect it?

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!
March 25, 2002 7:28:53 PM

I would like to formally ask you to stfu on this non-flaming forum

!