My CPU has an escalating fever

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Hi y'all
Know I haven't posted here in a LOOOONG time but I just ran into a problem, and before I call asking for a new heatsink and XP2000 to replace my 1.2Ghz T-Bird:) I want to get to the source of teh problem, if it's other than the heatsink. Basically, 2 months ago (by no means when I got the comp- it's over a year old now) my CPU temp was 46ºC tops. A week ago they were 56ºC. Now my system crashed, and when I read the temps it said 63ºC (this is after a minute or 2 of cooling mind you). What can be causing this elevation of CPU temps? And this occured after my comp had been on for only for 6 hours- the afformentioned 56ºC was attained after it was on for over a week at full load! What's happening?

Sig of the week.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yaa... my first guess would be dust, but some other "creeping doom" problems include

A. degredation of the thermal paste (drying out/going crumbly)
B. weakening of HSF clip giving rise to less pressure being applied (unlikely)

so, take the HSF off, give the fan and HS a good clean up, apply some new thermal grease and try again.

one other thing... do u run overclock considerably? i was wondering about circuit degredation due to long term overclocking.

The way my life is going if i expect nothing i
will still end up being dissapointed. :frown:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
one other thing... do u run overclock considerably? i was wondering about circuit degredation due to long term overclocking.

Dosent happen, the only downside to overclocking is em, and the way em(electromigration) works is when it hits the processor dies, no degreadation period. Now if you overvolt too high you can fry the gateox, but that dosent happen often, and were talking 2 volts + or more, and if that happened, it could cause a working but degraded cpu, however it is rare.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
so, take the HSF off, give the fan and HS a good clean up, apply some new thermal grease and try again.
it's<i><font color=white>cracked</font color=white></i>always</i><font color=white><i>core</i></font color=white>a<font color=white><i>amdsuxs</i></font color=white>good idea to clean your hsf and core.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
another useful comment there melty.
just what we would expect from such a helpful person as yourself.
good to see your not slipping.

Morally destitute, Emotionally bankrupt but a proud and respected member of Toms Forums! :smile:

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
another useful comment there melty.
just what we would expect from such a helpful person as yourself.
good to see your not slipping.
just try'n to help, I would service your pc for free but I'm really booked for the next few years, sorry.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just another reminder to do PM on your AMD. Summer is comming and your all in harms way =). life epxectancy on most sub 120mm fans is 1 year, yep you heard me say that before.

This may be due to non barring, dust, or imbalance issues. AMD owners are in greater danger as their CPU can self destruct not only destoying the CPU but also the socket it sits in if the fan fails. you guys are almost in the target range, as <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=252&manufactory=1028&Type=Refurbish" target="_new">I expect decent numbers of dead amd's</A> this year.

An ounce of prevention is worth a shitload of dollars in your case.

Proving once again that <A HREF="http://www.zombo.com" target="_new">anything is possible</A>.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Too bad you dont know what your talking about fugger.

Fan failures wont cause dead cpus if the user has half a brain and runs mobo monitoring and shutdown software.

Run along.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
.....but then again do I want the 1.2Ghz to die if the next availale replacement will be an AXP 1700+ (b/c that's the lowest speed the people I buy stuff from have). hmm....hehe j/k:)

Sig of the week.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Hehe, I want my ABit KT7A to die so I can get an IWill XP333 or MSI KT3 Ultra and 512MB high quality BGA DDR333, :tongue: . I'd prefer the IWill XP333 and overclock the FSB and RAM to 200MHz (400MHz DDR) CL2.5 or CL2 so I'll be able to enjoy a 25% to 40% performance boost with the same processor! :smile:

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

eden

Champion
The day you do that, you better have results ASAP, you'll be considered king here!!!
400MHZ FSB and RAM on AthlonXP=POWERHOUSE BABY!

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
It's been done before with the IWill XP333 many times. I've seen a lot of people on AMDMB, Shakeyextreme and other websites reporting 400MHz FSBs on the XP333.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

eden

Champion
Those who do it at THG are those at home. When you do it here, you're doing it at "home" with your fellow "brothers" here, so you know why it feels cooler to have a user with such system around!

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

TRENDING THREADS