P4 1.6A about overclocking

trueboyz

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2001
Hey i was surfing around, and notice that you guys think 1.6A would be a good price considering that it can do overclocking well. The P4 1.6A different from the old 1.6 is that it based on Norwood chip or whatever right? How hard is it to overclock this chip? I'm planning to build a new system. I was planning to go with Athlon XP 1600+, but now i'm a little interested in P4 1.6A. Is that better? What would be a good motherboard under good price for this cpu with overlocking options? Thanks in advance!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Hey i was surfing around, and notice that you guys think 1.6A would be a good price considering that it can do overclocking well. The P4 1.6A different from the old 1.6 is that it based on Norwood chip or whatever right? How hard is it to overclock this chip? I'm planning to build a new system. I was planning to go with Athlon XP 1600+, but now i'm a little interested in P4 1.6A. Is that better? What would be a good motherboard under good price for this cpu with overlocking options? Thanks in advance!

The 1.6A p4 is the northwood, it can hit 2.4ghz on the overclock, but you should purchase specific hardware for it.(raystonn and others can give you ram/mobo specs).

If you do not want to overclock, then the 1600+ is cheaper and faster, but if you decide to overclock, for now the 1.6a is the best bet.

In a month or two however the tbred will be released, which will be the .13 micton axp, and there will be an 1800+ model which should hit around 2300mhz or more, and it should be priced the same as the 1.6a, and a 2.3ghz tbred/axp would be quite a performer.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
I recommend the following:

Pentium 4 1.6A
Abit TH7II-RAID
Two double-sided 256MB PC800 Samsung RDRAM modules

This set of hardware should allow you to reach 2.4GHz without much trouble. Also make sure you get a decent power supply.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yes, I'd go with a P4 1.6A plus either an Abit TH7-II and double sided Samsung RDRAM or an ABit BD7 with KingMax or Corsair DD333.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

trueboyz

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2001
is buying a P4 1.6A a advantage for me later? Right now, i don't know much about overclocking. But later if i want to overclock, would the P4 would be much better option?

Ps. Is the motherboard running intel chip more stable than the VIA chipset?

AMD_Flinkster

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
actaully its very easy , u just have to have a good motherboard for it ( i.e. ASUS ) , and just up the Front-side-bus(FSB) in the bios.

Any mystery devised by mortal mind can be solved therewith - Holmes

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
is buying a P4 1.6A a advantage for me later? Right now, i don't know much about overclocking. But later if i want to overclock, would the P4 would be much better option?
If you plan on overclocking, the Pentium 4 1.6A is the best option. The socket and motherboards should last quite a while, allowing you to upgrade in the future. AMD's currently offerings will not be upgradable to the Hammer at the end of the year. It will require you to buy a new motherboard.

Ps. Is the motherboard running intel chip more stable than the VIA chipset?
Yes, do not get a motherboard with a VIA chipset. They have a track record of problems.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001

If you do NOT overclock off the bat it is NOT a good buy, you can get an amd system which is faster at stock and still has some overclocking room for experementation later.

The only thing which makes the 1.6a attractive is its overclocking, for the same price as the cpu you can get a 1800+ amd chip which can overclock later, and run much faster now.

So, I would have to say, if you dont want to overclock right this second, dont get the 1.6a, its just too expensive for such a slow(at stock) chip.

trueboyz

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2001
it's all about adjusting the FBS in the BIOS? I thought it would involve more like core voltage adjustment and other stuffs? Raystonn i have a generic/regular case with 300 WATT, is that enough? Right now i'm using Athlon T-Bird 1.0 gigz with 384 RAM. I wonder if the new P4 motherboard can fit in the case? Most motherboards are ATX so it should fit right?

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
If you plan on overclocking, the Pentium 4 1.6A is the best option. The socket and motherboards should last quite a while, allowing you to upgrade in the future. AMD's currently offerings will not be upgradable to the Hammer at the end of the year. It will require you to buy a new motherboard.

But you will be able to use the FULL line of tbreds and bartons which will continue for the next year, and you will also be able to overclock those very nicely.

if you arent overclocking, dont buy the p4, period.

Kennyshin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Most Northwood 1.6A overclockers seem to like ABIT boards especially. ABIT BD7 for DDR and ABIT TH7II or TH7II-RAID for RDRAM. If I were you, I'd buy TH7II-RAID plus two PC800 256MB RDRAM. I don't know how easy it is to get high-quality Samsung RDRAM in the market. The new Pentium 4 1.6A is based on 0.13 micron process manufacturered Northwood core. The old Pentium 4 1.6 is based on 0.18 micron process manufacturered Willamette core. 20 dollars difference in PriceWatch. In addition, ABIT motherboards based on i850 and i845 DDR chipset usually cost more. Hm. Depending on how much you are ready to spend... (I'm not ready to buy an ABIT TH7II or ABIT BD7 because of high price.)

Searching for the true, the beautiful, and the eternal

AMD_Flinkster

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
whew that was pretty fast there ray!

anyway do u use MSN Messenger ( dumb question , who doesnt ? ) , whats your email ? post it here or PM it to me please , id like to chat

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
it's all about adjusting the FBS in the BIOS? I thought it would involve more like core voltage adjustment and other stuffs? Raystonn i have a generic/regular case with 300 WATT, is that enough? Right now i'm using Athlon T-Bird 1.0 gigz with 384 RAM. I wonder if the new P4 motherboard can fit in the case? Most motherboards are ATX so it should fit right?

It does involve core voltage, and some bios changes(like current differential), it is easy to someone familar with overclocking, but if you are new to it it will require some learning.

Your psu should work, but at 2.4ghz the p4 may be drawing alot of current, also does your psu have the 12 volt connector thingy?

The motherboard should fit in the case just fine though.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
it's all about adjusting the FBS in the BIOS? I thought it would involve more like core voltage adjustment and other stuffs?
You will need to adjust the FSB, RDRAM multiplier, and core voltage. All of these settings can be modified in the BIOS.

Raystonn i have a generic/regular case with 300 WATT, is that enough?
How much current does it offer on the 12 volt line? Wattage is not as important as the quality of the power. Also, you must ensure it is ATX 2.03 compliant. This means it should have the 4-pin 12-volt square connector.

I wonder if the new P4 motherboard can fit in the case? Most motherboards are ATX so it should fit right?
It should fit in the case.

-Raystonn

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
anyway do u use MSN Messenger ( dumb question , who doesnt ? )
No.

whats your email ? post it here or PM it to me please , id like to chat
You can send me a private message by clicking on the "Send Private Msg" link on the left.

-Raystonn

AMD_Flinkster

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
really? i didnt think anyone didnt have msn , oh well.

ray , quick question.

iv got a VC820 (from the CC820 exchange program) + 128 MB RDRAM (it has a nice blue ramsink - i was one of the first to get RDRAM in Lebanon !!) , along with my PIII 866EB CPU.

Can i do any overclocking ? i dont think so because i cant see any FSB setting in the phoenix bios intel uses.

Kennyshin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Seems to me you chose the most inappropriate combination for overclocking.

866EB, VC820, RDRAM...

AMD_Flinkster

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
at the time i really had no option.
i had a faulty CC820 , and since there is no intel branch in Lebanon , i had to send it with my uncle to italy ( hes a trader - he always travels back and forth ) where he exchanged it from intel italia.

so i really didnt have an option , but can i do anything ?

trueboyz

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2001
I am not sure of what you guys mean by PSU? I have no idea about 12 voltage, but i think i have it 'cause my bios says something about 12 volt. I'm not sure, how do i find out about all this? Beside ABIT, is there any other good boards for overclocking? Abit is kind of expensive right now. Also, can i stablely overclock it to 2.0 gigz without overheating problem?
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TrueBoyz on 03/24/02 08:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

AMD_Flinkster

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
PSU is the power supply unit of your PC. it supplies power (duh :) ) . if u can open some screws open your case cover and read the values ray asked for off the sticker on the power supply.

The power supply is where the power cable is connected , so its not hard to find.

Kennyshin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
I don't know where you live but I am in Seoul. ABIT boards are real expensive here and they don't import the RAID versions at all when I need to attach more HDDs and CD-RWs.

PSU is for Power Supply Unit as HSF is for Heat Sink Fan.

I touched 1.6A running at 2.1GHz with my bare fingertips at various points around the bottom of heatsink. Just the cold-feeling metal. I felt no heat at all. It's cooler than P4 1500MHz unoverclocked. (I have two of these .18.)

Epox boards offer good overclocking options but I don't think the price is so different from Abit. ABIT BD7m is only about $95 but I don't know whether its only difference from ABIT BD7 is the number of PCI slots. Anyway, I would buy ABIT BD7 if I could for under $120.

If your PSU has specification written, maybe it'll say whether it supports Pentium 4 or not. Most of my PSU do since I made sure of that.

Kennyshin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
hm... the only thing I know of Intel boards is that they offer no overclocking and the best service. :)
I'm surprised there is no Intel branch in Lebanon.

trueboyz

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2001
What's the different between the regular version and the RAID? What does RAID do? Have you heard about the MSI or ASUS motherboards the new norwood p4? Is it good?

Kennyshin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
RAID versions have RAID chip and two more IDE channels.
With the RAID chip onboard, one can connect up to eight IDE devices instead of four only. The forthcoming ABIT "MAX" series motherboards will be equipped with HPT-374 4-channel ATA-133 (IDE) RAID chip onboard, therefore supporting up to 12 (!!!) IDE devices. RAID is for Redundant Array of Independent (or Inexpensive) Device.

Hm. There are some MSI and Asus 845 DDR and 850 motherboards, too. I guess they are good but most overclockers seem to like the ABIT boards specially.