Is ASUS P3B-F MB compatible with P3 1GHz/100MHz CP

VJA

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2002
I was wondering if the ASUS P3B-F Motherboard is compatible with Pentium III 1GHz/100-MHz SECC2 CPU. I believe that the 1.7 volt requirement of this CPU will prevent it from being compatible with this particular Motherboard, whose minimum setting appears to be 2.0 volts, but I would appreciate it if someone could confirm this one way or another.
If the ASUS P3B board is not compatible with this CPU, then I would appreciate hearing suggestions as to which motherboard would be most suited for this CPU and also what is the fastest CPU that is compatible with the ASUS P3B-F(440BX chipset) motherboard?
Thank you in advance for all responses.
Waldemar

If you have the cpu i would try it . If it dosent boot then post here again and we will tell you how to change the detected voltage. Ilooked at the asus site to see what voltages were supported but could not find the info.

I have an older p2b and it will go down to 1.75 v minimum.

I aint signing nothing!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Maybe. It really depends on your board revision. In fact, if you can run the 1000E (100), you can also run the 1000EB 133), which is faster, and much cheaper, so long as you have PC133 and a good video card.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

VJA

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2002
I did try booting up with this CPU and unfortunately it does not boot up. I did stumble upon some information on the ASUS side that stated that the frequency has to be manually set for 1GHz CPUs since the bios will not automatically recognize the 1GHz CPU. Unfortunately, this seems a mute point since the PC is not booting up. As such, I still wonder whether the core voltage is the culprit?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
mOst likely. If it's a slotket (Slot One to Socket 370 adapter) mounted S370 CPU, you can always modify the detected voltage to a higher level that BIOS will accept, such as 1.85v, still far below the max acceptable for the processor. Modifying the detected voltage for Slot 1 CPU's is possible but more difficult.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Did the computer not boot as in post or not make it to windows??? Also do you have the latest bios??

If you get nothing at all you need to change the detected voltage. If you get some life out of it then you will need a bios update to load the microcodes for the newer cpu steppings. Which will have to be done with an older cpu the install the new cpu.

I aint signing nothing!!!

VJA

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2002
The ASUS P3B-F is a slot 1 motherboard and this P3 1GHz CPU is a slot 1 (SECC2) chip. When I try to boot with this CPU installed, the CPU does not boot at all; it is dead in the water from the time the power is turned on.
I did load the latest appropriate bios that I could find for this motherboard on the ASUS site; unfortunately the lowest core voltage setting in the bios is 2 volts and highest default CPU setting is 700MHz, although there is a manual setting which supports a range of multipliers and clock settings.