What would happened?

What would happened if started my computer with nothing
connected,monitor,mouse,keyboard etc.,I have noisy vibration(fan)and it
would be easier if I could run it with the cover off to pinpoint where it's
coming from.Would I screw up all my settings.Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about what happened

    "Tony Pacc" <tpacc@execpc.com> wrote in message news:<10n9mtq9tuut68f@corp.supernews.com>...
    > What would happened if started my computer with nothing
    > connected,monitor,mouse,keyboard etc.,I have noisy vibration(fan)and it
    > would be easier if I could run it with the cover off to pinpoint where it's
    > coming from.Would I screw up all my settings.Thanks

    >>No,no. But I doubt the noise is coming from the keyboard and mouse
    anyway! And WIN would probably not completely boot without either or
    both the mouse and Keyboard. I would leave the two connected. Try
    other items removed one at a time until you can isolate the noise. If
    you have a graphics/GPA card installed, check the fan on it. Mine used
    to growl something aweful until I dusted it and carefully oiled it.
    Then check the fan on the CPU and finally the power supply fan.
    Nothing else would make a noise...ie, no moving parts?

    But if you take the cover off you can still have those peripherals connected
    to boot the system. Obviously the vibration is not from the devices you
    mention so why not connect them after removing the cover. Actually they
    don't have to be disconnected in order to remove the covers I have seen. The
    vibration can only come from very few spots. The Power Supply, CPU fan, or
    Video card fan. You can easily disable the video card or CPU fan in order to
    test them. If the vibration remains it has to be PS. One more thought. If
    you have the Dell with the clamshell design, then the case itself at times
    creates a noise from vibration.

    Regards,
    John O.

    "Tony Pacc" <tpacc@execpc.com> wrote in message
    > What would happened if started my computer with nothing
    > connected,monitor,mouse,keyboard etc.,I have noisy vibration(fan)and it
    > would be easier if I could run it with the cover off to pinpoint where
    > it's
    > coming from.Would I screw up all my settings.Thanks

    "Tony Pacc" <tpacc@execpc.com> wrote:
    >What would happened if started my computer with nothing
    >connected,monitor,mouse,keyboard etc.,I have noisy vibration(fan)and it
    >would be easier if I could run it with the cover off to pinpoint where it's
    >coming from.Would I screw up all my settings.Thanks

    I'd also disconnect the IDE cables from the hard disk(s) so it won't
    try to boot, but nothing bad will happen. It'll probably put up a
    screen (that you can't see) saying "Keyboard error, press F1 to
    continue" or something equally silly, but then it'll just sit there
    waiting for a response.

    I read (in this newsgroup) about a simple way to determine which case fan is
    the noisy one: Use a ballpoint pen cap.

    The caps on many brands of cheap ballpoint pens have a piece of plastic that
    extends about one inch from the cap. If you're careful, you can stick this
    plastic through the back of the computer case to stop each fan from turning.

    Using this elegant method, I was able to determine that the fan in my power
    supply is noisy. Sometimes. But that's another story.

    To see if your hard disk is noisy, open the case and unplug its power cable.
    (Be careful - those Mylex plugs are in tightly.) Now restart your computer.
    To be on the safe side, stick a bootable floppy in the floppy drive, so the
    computer won't try to boot from the hard disk.

    We've read about lots of other things that can cause vibration. For example,
    the green plastic shroud that covers your processor has been known to
    vibrate from the airflow inside the case. You may also have a screw loose
    (inside your computer.)
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
    > "Tony Pacc" <tpacc@execpc.com> wrote:
    > >What would happened if started my computer with nothing
    > >connected,monitor,mouse,keyboard etc.,I have noisy vibration(fan)and it
    > >would be easier if I could run it with the cover off to pinpoint where
    it's
    > >coming from.Would I screw up all my settings.Thanks
    >
    > I'd also disconnect the IDE cables from the hard disk(s) so it won't
    > try to boot, but nothing bad will happen. It'll probably put up a
    > screen (that you can't see) saying "Keyboard error, press F1 to
    > continue" or something equally silly, but then it'll just sit there
    > waiting for a response.

    The DVD-ROM drive in my 8300 computer is just noisy.
    "Michael P Gabriel" <axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > "Tony Pacc" <tpacc@execpc.com> wrote in message
    >> What would happened if started my computer with nothing
    >> connected,monitor,mouse,keyboard etc.,I have noisy vibration(fan)and it
    >> would be easier if I could run it with the cover off to pinpoint where
    >> it's
    >> coming from.Would I screw up all my settings.Thanks
    >
    >>>No,no. But I doubt the noise is coming from the keyboard and mouse
    > anyway! And WIN would probably not completely boot without either or
    > both the mouse and Keyboard. I would leave the two connected. Try
    > other items removed one at a time until you can isolate the noise. If
    > you have a graphics/GPA card installed, check the fan on it. Mine used
    > to growl something aweful until I dusted it and carefully oiled it.
    > Then check the fan on the CPU and finally the power supply fan.
    > Nothing else would make a noise...ie, no moving parts?

    Vibration isn't just limited to fans (system or video card). My 8300
    suffered from miserable noise and vibration. Turned out to be the hard
    drive. After a drive swap with a replacement from Dell, I don't even hear my
    8300 now.

    "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
    | But if you take the cover off you can still have those peripherals
    connected
    | to boot the system. Obviously the vibration is not from the devices you
    | mention so why not connect them after removing the cover. Actually they
    | don't have to be disconnected in order to remove the covers I have seen.
    The
    | vibration can only come from very few spots. The Power Supply, CPU fan, or
    | Video card fan. You can easily disable the video card or CPU fan in order
    | test them. If the vibration remains it has to be PS. One more thought. If
    | you have the Dell with the clamshell design, then the case itself at times
    | creates a noise from vibration.
    |
    | Regards,
    | John O.
    |

    | "Tony Pacc" <tpacc@execpc.com> wrote in message
    | > What would happened if started my computer with nothing
    | > connected,monitor,mouse,keyboard etc.,I have noisy vibration(fan)and it
    | > would be easier if I could run it with the cover off to pinpoint where
    | > it's
    | > coming from.Would I screw up all my settings.Thanks

    Point well taken. I have seen noisy hard drives but a vibration that bad
    would seem to be fan created. Still it is a capitol mistake to formulate a
    theory without all the facts (I sure miss Sherlock Holmes on TV).

    Regards,
    John O.

    "ELR" <iggier63@yahoo.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
    > Vibration isn't just limited to fans (system or video card). My 8300
    > suffered from miserable noise and vibration. Turned out to be the hard
    > drive. After a drive swap with a replacement from Dell, I don't even hear
    > my
    > 8300 now.
    >

    > "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
    > | But if you take the cover off you can still have those peripherals
    > connected
    > | to boot the system. Obviously the vibration is not from the devices you
    > | mention so why not connect them after removing the cover. Actually they
    > | don't have to be disconnected in order to remove the covers I have seen.
    > The
    > | vibration can only come from very few spots. The Power Supply, CPU fan,
    > or
    > | Video card fan. You can easily disable the video card or CPU fan in
    > order
    > | test them. If the vibration remains it has to be PS. One more thought.
    > If
    > | you have the Dell with the clamshell design, then the case itself at
    > times
    > | creates a noise from vibration.
    > |
    > | Regards,
    > | John O.
    > |

    > | "Tony Pacc" <tpacc@execpc.com> wrote in message
    > | > What would happened if started my computer with nothing
    > | > connected,monitor,mouse,keyboard etc.,I have noisy vibration(fan)and
    > it
    > | > would be easier if I could run it with the cover off to pinpoint where
    > | > it's
    > | > coming from.Would I screw up all my settings.Thanks

Dell Computers