Please take a moment of your time to help!!!

G

Ok here’s the problem, please help. I have an AMD 1800+ on a cheap ECS K7S5A and every time I turn the FSB speed to 133 it crashes. But it only crashes during games. I have some generic 256 DDR 2700. The board does not support that speed, it only support 2100. But I was told that RAM clocks down to be compatible to a board. Or maybe it’s a heating issue. I updated the BIOS and still it crashes. Here are my specs and I would take any advice you have. Because I am out of options. I would also be willing to buy a new board it that would help. I don’t know what to do…

1800+ AMD
256 DDR 2700 Generic
Nvidia Geforce 2 Ultra
Win XP
SB Live Value

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Vorpal on 03/24/02 10:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i really dont understand why people would go buy an 1800 xp and stick it on a neatly piled peice of crap and call it a mother board. how much did you save on that thing? 30 bucks? could have used the extra money you spent on the ram for a better board. but any way, back to the problem your having, its likely a heat issue, leave the cover off the computer and blow a house fan into it. may be an improperly installed heatsink. could be ram, could be power supply. check these things, then take the board back.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

G

I got this “crappie board” as a combo set. I went to price watch and bought the set. I plan on buying Asus A7V333 using the KT333 chip. I think this will cure my problem. It’s not the ram because I switched it and it still crashed when pushed to (processor) 133 FSB. I don’t think it would be the power supply because I put my old board and processor and it runs. I have a 300-watt gateway mid-case. I will buy the board and if that doesn’t solve the problem I will post.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
It is probably an overheating chipset problem, reattach the chipset cooler to the chipset with arctic silver(or better thermal goo coverage) and it should fix.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

dhlucke

Polypheme
That board works very well for me and many others. Try troubleshooting the problem before giving up. It really could be as simple as what Matisaro said.

<font color=red>First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.</font color=red><font color=blue>

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Yeah exactly. The Sis 735 chipset wouldn't hurt to have a heatsink, or atleast a better passive cooler
Good mobo none the less

"When there's a will, there's a way."

FatBurger

Illustrious
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=13-135-102-01.JPG/13-135-102-02.JPG" target="_new">Look at this</A>, the ECS K7S5A does have a heatsink on the bridge :wink:

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

Nikko

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It's either your board, memory, or the combination of the two. I would highly suggest chucking the ECS board in favor of the A7V333.

The Pentium 4 is really a highly overclocked VIA C3 with SSE2 and a heat spreader.

G

I have seen this problem several times with bad ram. On time PC133 ram would only work reliably at 100MHz. When set to 133Mhz system would crash when running games. When replaced the system was very stable. (Cheap PCChips 810LMR system). Another time my AMD system (EPOX 8KHA+, 1800XP) started crashing repeatedly when playing games, and when searching the web, etc. The system was stable for the first two weeks I had it. I swapped out the ram (DDR256 PC2100) and the problem was solved. Check your RAM! I haven't tried it yet, but there is a memtest program out there that may help in determining if it is your RAM. (memtest-86). Hope this helps.