Staking A Vampire

Since 3E doesn't have called shots, how do you say when your character
has actually staked the vampire's heart? Do you have to wait until it's
helpless or can you say at any time that youre staking the heart in
combat? Like, Buffy did it all the time on TV, but that's not what
Christopher Lee did.

Sea Wasp wrote:
> Dormmamu wrote:
> > Since 3E doesn't have called shots, how do you say when your character
> > has actually staked the vampire's heart? Do you have to wait until it's
> > helpless or can you say at any time that youre staking the heart in
> > combat? Like, Buffy did it all the time on TV, but that's not what
> > Christopher Lee did.
>
> Buffy had a special skill in that I think. Remember, she's
> supernatural by just about any standard. Special Feat, "Targeted
> Staking" or something.

Interestingly enough, I would handle this just like the Buffy
roleplaying game does. If you do enough damage with a staking attack
to drop a thing, then you've staked it. if not, you failed to stake
it. So a staking attack that drops a creature to 0 or below stakes it.

Dormmamu wrote:

> Since 3E doesn't have called shots, how do you say when your character
> has actually staked the vampire's heart? Do you have to wait until it's
> helpless or can you say at any time that youre staking the heart in
> combat? Like, Buffy did it all the time on TV, but that's not what
> Christopher Lee did.

the way i handle it, is when the montser goes to 0 HP, it indicates it
has been pinned down and is able to be staked

vince garcia wrote:
> Dormmamu wrote:
> >
> > Since 3E doesn't have called shots, how do you say when your character
> > has actually staked the vampire's heart? Do you have to wait until it's
> > helpless or can you say at any time that youre staking the heart in
> > combat? Like, Buffy did it all the time on TV, but that's not what
> > Christopher Lee did.
>
> the way i handle it, is when the montser goes to 0 HP, it indicates it
> has been pinned down and is able to be staked

How about, based on their nature of hitting vital organs, a critical
hit with a stake goes through a vampire's heart?
Could a rogue do this with a stake sneak attack?
But I don't know where the power balance is going to go with vampires
suddenly vulnerable to critical hits...

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:46:52 GMT, scrawled:

>> the way i handle it, is when the montser goes to 0 HP, it indicates it
>> has been pinned down and is able to be staked
>
> How about, based on their nature of hitting vital organs, a critical
> hit with a stake goes through a vampire's heart?
> Could a rogue do this with a stake sneak attack?
> But I don't know where the power balance is going to go with vampires
> suddenly vulnerable to critical hits...

Could always say that on critical, roll again with a 15-20% chance of
hitting the right organ.

--
http://www.rexx.co.uk

To email me, visit the site.

"vince garcia" <vggarciaxx@ix.netcom.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Dormmamu wrote:
> >
> > Since 3E doesn't have called shots, how do you say when your character
> > has actually staked the vampire's heart? Do you have to wait until it's
> > helpless or can you say at any time that youre staking the heart in
> > combat? Like, Buffy did it all the time on TV, but that's not what
> > Christopher Lee did.
>
> the way i handle it, is when the montser goes to 0 HP, it indicates it
> has been pinned down and is able to be staked

Don't vampires go gaseous at 0 hp? This would mean you'd have to find the
coffin to stake it.

"Markus Sch?fer" <markus.schaefer@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
> "vince garcia" <vggarciaxx@ix.netcom.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Dormmamu wrote:
>> >
>> > Since 3E doesn't have called shots, how do you say when your character
>> > has actually staked the vampire's heart? Do you have to wait until it's
>> > helpless or can you say at any time that youre staking the heart in
>> > combat? Like, Buffy did it all the time on TV, but that's not what
>> > Christopher Lee did.
>>
>> the way i handle it, is when the montser goes to 0 HP, it indicates it
>> has been pinned down and is able to be staked
>
> Don't vampires go gaseous at 0 hp? This would mean you'd have to find the
> coffin to stake it.

It depends entirely on how you prefer your vampires in your campaign.
If you want the group too search for the coffin before finally finishing
it off, this may be exactly what you want. But if you prefer Buffy-like
fights, any decent hit with a stake is going to hit the heart.

mcv.

In article <3gt7duFe5n98U1@news.dfncis.de>, markus.schaefer@ruhr-uni-
bochum.de says...

> > > Since 3E doesn't have called shots, how do you say when your character
> > > has actually staked the vampire's heart? Do you have to wait until it's
> > > helpless or can you say at any time that youre staking the heart in
> > > combat? Like, Buffy did it all the time on TV, but that's not what
> > > Christopher Lee did.
> >
> > the way i handle it, is when the montser goes to 0 HP, it indicates it
> > has been pinned down and is able to be staked
>
> Don't vampires go gaseous at 0 hp? This would mean you'd have to find the
> coffin to stake it.

I'd rule that if you bring him down to 0 with a stake attack, he's now
staked instead of gaseous.

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

Chad Lubrecht wrote:
> On 10 Jun 2005 04:46:52 -0700, snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:
>

> >How about, based on their nature of hitting vital organs, a critical
> >hit with a stake goes through a vampire's heart?
> .
>
> Then a critical hit with a stake should kill a human as well. They
> don't function well with stakes through their hearts either.

Nor are real life humans capable of jumping off of cliffs with total
certainity they will survive, take multiple sword thrusts with no
threat of permanent damage, or have complete and total pain tolerance.

Okay, weak argument. Uhh........dramatic liscence is another argument
that solves every problem. Oh wait!

It doesn't kill humans because MAGIC. And, uh, ninja.

Piggybacking slightly.

Jasin Zujovic wrote:
> markus.schaefer@ruhr-uni-bochum.de says...

ISTR the rules assumption was that staking occurred when the vampire
was helpless in its coffin, or somehow otherwise helpless, and only
then.

> > > the way i handle it, is when the montser goes to 0 HP,
> > > it indicates it has been pinned down and is able to
> > > be staked
> >
> > Don't vampires go gaseous at 0 hp? This would mean
> > you'd have to find the coffin to stake it.

Supporting my point above.

> I'd rule that if you bring him down to 0 with a stake
> attack, he's now staked instead of gaseous.

I'd allow that, but stake attacks are weak at best. Personally, I'd
require the stake attack that brings the vampire below 0 to be a
critical hit (a moving target isn't easy to hit right in the heart
with a wooden stake, especially when there's that pesky ribcage in the
way, and such). Since it wouldn't do any extra damage to a vampire,
being undead and therefore immune to crits, it's only necessary to
check for confirmation on those hits which bring the vampire below 0.
(Remember that checking for confirmation despite crit immunity is also
necessary when using a /$foo burst/ weapon against an undead or other
creature immune to crits).

IMC, I'd let a person who is pinning a vampire and has (or gets out) a
stake in hand may make a full-round grapple check with a -4 penalty
(it's a hard target) vs. the vampire's defensive grapple check in
order to stake the vampire.

I like this solution because it means, in order to get the easy kill
(or, rather, the easy subdue, since removing the stake reverses the
kill), you have to open yourself up to the vampire's blood drain
attack, which is also performed during a grapple.

Obviously, depending how hard you want staking to be, you could adjust
the penalty up or down, or adjust the time required.

--
Nik
- remove vermin from email address to reply.

Nikolas Landauer wrote:

> Piggybacking slightly.

To add insult to injury, I'm replying to my own post, which was a
slight piggyback.

> Jasin Zujovic wrote:
> >
> > I'd rule that if you bring him down to 0 with a stake
> > attack, he's now staked instead of gaseous.

I followed this with some options, one of which was a poorly-conceived
grappling solution. Through IM with Keith, I changed my mind about
that. So, to change my suggestions:

You can stab a helpless vampire at or below 0 hp through the heart
with a stake (I would consider this a full-round action that provokes
attacks of opportunity, though obviously not from the helpless
vampire). That said, it's not easy to get a vampire at 0 hp (and
helpless) outside its coffin.

To make this more common, I've added this rule:

HEART-SHOT (or other direct vital organ attack) VS. UNDEAD.

You may make a heart-shot against a vampire while wielding a wooden
stake (or a direct attack against another vital organ in a creature
for whom it matters), with two qualifications:
1) your wooden stake attack brings the vampire (or other undead) to
0 hp or less; and
2) you do one of the following with the wooden stake attack:
a) roll a confirmed critical (but with no extra damage, since
undead are immune to criticals); or
b) make an attack which would qualify as a sneak attack (but with
no extra damage, again); or
c) you declare *before* the attack that you are attempting a
heart-shot (or other direct vital organ attack) and take a -5 penalty
to your attack roll.

If you want to expand this past undead, for those characters who might
wish a "signature kill style", you can do so by replacing all
instances of "0 hp or less" with "-10 hp or less" or whatever
threshold your game uses for death (IMC, for instance, that value is
-Con).

The only reason this Heart-Shot action is possible against vampires is
that they have a specific targetable weak point, which most other
undead and constructs do not.

Similarly, Keith put it best for mortals as "want to heartshot a
human? Take -5 on your hit roll, [or] successfully crit or sneak
attack, *and* get him to -10 hit points and congratulations,
heartshot"

Note that the sneak attack qualification makes it *much* easier for
rogues to perform this action than other character classes. This is
partially intentional, since rogues are pretty much vampire fodder
normally, so this gives them a role in a fight against a vampire, and
preserves their genre flavor: (Keith again) "Everybody else beats up
on it until [the rogue] can get in and finish it off with a
well-aimed, well-timed *spike*."

One final note: This doesn't help you kill the vampire any faster
(which is what Keith, and a lot of others were surely concerned
about), it just saves you having to track down the coffin.

--

vince garcia <vggarciaxx@ix.netcom.com> wrote in

> the way i handle it, is when the montser goes to 0 HP, it
> indicates it has been pinned down and is able to be staked

Did you "House Rule" this? Because I have never seen any this
ruled out anywhere.

--
Marc

Markus Schäfer wrote:

> "vince garcia" <vggarciaxx@ix.netcom.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Dormmamu wrote:
> > >
> > > Since 3E doesn't have called shots, how do you say when your character
> > > has actually staked the vampire's heart? Do you have to wait until it's
> > > helpless or can you say at any time that youre staking the heart in
> > > combat? Like, Buffy did it all the time on TV, but that's not what
> > > Christopher Lee did.
> >
> > the way i handle it, is when the montser goes to 0 HP, it indicates it
> > has been pinned down and is able to be staked
>
> Don't vampires go gaseous at 0 hp? This would mean you'd have to find the
> coffin to stake it.

According to the rules, yes, but that's one rule i found works too much
in favor of the vampire. Brings up the question of what happenes if the
coffin is in the next room? Is the vampire still gaseous? Can you stake
him then? Can you follow the gas back to the coffin, etc. So, since the
gaseous-at-death thing isn't in any vampire mythos that i know of, i
ignored it.

Otherwise, I don't know how you'd handle it w/out violating some sort of
rule somewhere down the line

On 10 Jun 2005 04:46:52 -0700, snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:

>How about, based on their nature of hitting vital organs, a critical
>hit with a stake goes through a vampire's heart?
..

Chad Lubrecht wrote:
> snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:
> >
> > How about, based on their nature of hitting vital organs,
> > a critical hit with a stake goes through a vampire's heart?
>
> Then a critical hit with a stake should kill a human as
> well. They don't function well with stakes through their
> hearts either.

"How do I kill one?"
"Drive a stake through its heart."
"It's amazing how many things that'll kill..."

--

Nikolas Landauer <dacileva.flea@hotmail.com.tick> wrote:
> Nikolas Landauer wrote:
>>
>> Piggybacking slightly.
>
> To add insult to injury, I'm replying to my own post, which was a
> slight piggyback.
>
>> Jasin Zujovic wrote:
>> >
>> > I'd rule that if you bring him down to 0 with a stake
>> > attack, he's now staked instead of gaseous.
>
> I followed this with some options, one of which was a poorly-conceived
> grappling solution. Through IM with Keith, I changed my mind about
> that. So, to change my suggestions:
>
> You can stab a helpless vampire at or below 0 hp through the heart
> with a stake (I would consider this a full-round action that provokes
> attacks of opportunity, though obviously not from the helpless
> vampire). That said, it's not easy to get a vampire at 0 hp (and
> helpless) outside its coffin.
>
> To make this more common, I've added this rule:
>
> HEART-SHOT (or other direct vital organ attack) VS. UNDEAD.
>
> You may make a heart-shot against a vampire while wielding a wooden
> stake (or a direct attack against another vital organ in a creature
> for whom it matters), with two qualifications:

s/matters/is fatal/

Apart from that, I think you've got it.

> Similarly, Keith put it best for mortals as "want to heartshot a
> human? Take -5 on your hit roll, [or] successfully crit or sneak
> attack, *and* get him to -10 hit points and congratulations,
> heartshot"

The only reason for the -5 is that the heart is a small target, btw. If
you can pull this off, the guy is dead anyway.

It can have application elsewhere, too -- it provides a reasonable
mechanism for handling tighmaevril bloodtheft in Bloodright.

> One final note: This doesn't help you kill the vampire any faster
> (which is what Keith, and a lot of others were surely concerned
> about), it just saves you having to track down the coffin.

In part, yes. Also, the other mechsnism looked like a pain in the ass
to apply, and it looked like it could set a nasty precedent. If you can
heartshot a vampire that way, why not a human?

Now the heartshot is reduced to the killing blow and the only 'real'
effect is that, as Nik said, it saves you having to find the coffin.

Keith

"Dormmamu" <Dormammu@thedarkdimension.com> wrote in message
> Since 3E doesn't have called shots, how do you say when your character has
> actually staked the vampire's heart? Do you have to wait until it's
> helpless or can you say at any time that youre staking the heart in
> combat? Like, Buffy did it all the time on TV, but that's not what
> Christopher Lee did.

I'd rule it's a coup de grace and can only be performed under circumstances
that allowed a coup de grace.

vince garcia wrote:

> According to the rules, yes, but that's one rule i found works too much
> in favor of the vampire. Brings up the question of what happenes if the
> coffin is in the next room? Is the vampire still gaseous? Can you stake
> him then? Can you follow the gas back to the coffin, etc. So, since the
> gaseous-at-death thing isn't in any vampire mythos that i know of, i
> ignored it.

Gaseous at death is in the Dracula novel. At the end of the book, to
kill him, they stab him in the heart with a bowie knife and he turns to
smoke and wafts away.

I say Stoker was leaving himself room for a sequel, myself. I mean,
earlier on in the book, Dracula turned to smoke and wafted away and he
wasn't dead.
--
Stephenls
Geek

In article <HfRqe.1653889$8l.1614926@pd7tw1no>,
Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote:
>Gaseous at death is in the Dracula novel. At the end of the book, to
>kill him, they stab him in the heart with a bowie knife and he turns to
>smoke and wafts away.
>
>I say Stoker was leaving himself room for a sequel, myself. I mean,
>earlier on in the book, Dracula turned to smoke and wafted away and he
>wasn't dead.

Fred Saberhagen, in "The Dracula Tape", had Dracula observe that they used a
non-wooden weapon to try to stake him, whereupon he melted into mist
voluntarily.

Stephenls wrote:

> vince garcia wrote:
>
> > According to the rules, yes, but that's one rule i found works too much
> > in favor of the vampire. Brings up the question of what happenes if the
> > coffin is in the next room? Is the vampire still gaseous? Can you stake
> > him then? Can you follow the gas back to the coffin, etc. So, since the
> > gaseous-at-death thing isn't in any vampire mythos that i know of, i
> > ignored it.
>
> Gaseous at death is in the Dracula novel. At the end of the book, to
> kill him, they stab him in the heart with a bowie knife and he turns to
> smoke and wafts away.
>
> I say Stoker was leaving himself room for a sequel, myself. I mean,
> earlier on in the book, Dracula turned to smoke and wafted away and he
> wasn't dead.
> --
> Stephenls
> Geek
> "You do your arguments no favor by insulting those you ought persuade."
> -Greg Stolze, Rites of the Dragon

Interesting. It's been decades since I read the book. I don't recall the
gaseous thing; I only seem to recall that it mentioned a look of peace
came across his face. I may be confusing it w/another book

David Empey wrote:

> You're leaving out one of the more interesting features
> of the staking rule: the stake attack does (iirc) 5x
> normal damage, *if* 5x normal damage would kill the
> vamp; otherwise it does normal damage.

As far as i can tell (based on the SRD, the MM and the PHB) you have
just made that interesting rule up, possibly off the top of your head.
if that has ever been the case it is not now the case.

David Empey wrote:
> Nikolas Landauer wrote:
> >
> > "How do I kill one?"
> > "Drive a stake through its heart."
> > "It's amazing how many things that'll kill..."
>
> ITYM:
>
> BUFFY
> Why don't I put a stake through her heart?
>
> GILES
> She's not a vampire.
>
> BUFFY
> You'd be surprised how many things that'll kill.

That was in my mind, but it wasn't the first incidence of the joke.

That said, I can't remember which one I actually *was* referencing
(though I knew the Buffy one wasn't that), so I may be off a little,
anyway.

--

Anivair wrote:
> David Empey wrote:
> >
> > You're leaving out one of the more interesting features
> > of the staking rule: the stake attack does (iirc) 5x
> > normal damage, *if* 5x normal damage would kill the
> > vamp; otherwise it does normal damage.
>
> As far as i can tell (based on the SRD, the MM and the
> PHB) you have just made that interesting rule up,
> possibly off the top of your head. if that has ever
> been the case it is not now the case.

If you had left in the context, you might have noted that David is,
most likely, talking about how staking works in the Buffy RPG.

--
Nik
- remove vermin from email address to reply.

Nikolas Landauer <dacileva.flea@hotmail.com.tick> wrote:
> David Empey wrote:
>> Nikolas Landauer wrote:
>> >
>> > "How do I kill one?"
>> > "Drive a stake through its heart."
>> > "It's amazing how many things that'll kill..."
>>
>> ITYM:
>>
>> BUFFY
>> Why don't I put a stake through her heart?
>>
>> GILES
>> She's not a vampire.
>>
>> BUFFY
>> You'd be surprised how many things that'll kill.
>
> That was in my mind, but it wasn't the first incidence of the joke.
>
> That said, I can't remember which one I actually *was* referencing
> (though I knew the Buffy one wasn't that), so I may be off a little,
> anyway.

I've seen the same comment used in Pratchett, and in Tom Holt (Lundqvist
plans to kill someone he expects is a vampire and gets a wooden stake
ready... which will serve him just as well if his target *isn't* in fact
a vampire).

There's a somewhat similar scene in _Carpe Jugulum_. Nanny and Agnes
are discussing how to kill a vampire. All solutions involved 'chop off
the head', followed by [fill the mouth with salt, stuff a lemon in its
mouth, pound a carrot into each ear, ...].

Keith