CPU swap??

Hi

I have a Dimensions 8250, 2.4 GHz P IV and I may get a free-b/gift Dimensions 4400, 1.7
GHz P IV, 400 MHz FSB...

I want to know if I can use the 2.4 GHz 533 FSB cpu from the 8250 in the 4400??

Will the 533 MHz FSB cpu step down to the 4400's 400 MHz FSB??

I know the 8250 has the 850E chips set and the 4400 has the 845 chip set.. But I think
that has more to do with the board speed and memory??

The plan is to give the up-graded 4400 to the kids and up-grade my system to a 3.06 GHz..

Opinions please...

Thanks
Jim
An Old Parrot Head
In The Conch Republic
Just South of Reality

<jj_bpk@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have a Dimensions 8250, 2.4 GHz P IV and I may get a free-b/gift
Dimensions 4400, 1.7
> GHz P IV, 400 MHz FSB...
>
> I want to know if I can use the 2.4 GHz 533 FSB cpu from the 8250 in
the 4400??

No.

> Will the 533 MHz FSB cpu step down to the 4400's 400 MHz FSB??

It will not step down. CPUs don't do that.

jj_bpk@bellsouth.net wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a Dimensions 8250, 2.4 GHz P IV and I may get a free-b/gift Dimensions 4400, 1.7
> GHz P IV, 400 MHz FSB...
>
> I want to know if I can use the 2.4 GHz 533 FSB cpu from the 8250 in the 4400??
>
> Will the 533 MHz FSB cpu step down to the 4400's 400 MHz FSB??

Assuming both processors are northwood cores, the CPU will operate on
the 400Mhz FSB of the 4400, but there's little point because the clock
speed of the processor will be slower (possibly even down to 1.7GHZ).

Processors like the P4 get their clock speed from the absolute bus
speed and a built-in multiplier. The multiplier on my Pentium IV is
x20, and the absolute bus speed is 100Mhz, hence my cpu clocks at
2000MHZ or 2.0GHZ. So basically, the speed of the CPU is relative to
the "FSB", and it will scale down, but as you see, there is no point
in this case. The 2.4GHZ is much better off in the 8250.

jj_bpk@bellsouth.net wrote:
<snip>

> The plan is to give the up-graded 4400 to the kids and up-grade my system to a 3.06 GHz..
>
> Opinions please...

<snip>

oops..

This part should work considering you can buy a Northwood/533Mhz at
3.00HZ, but it is inefficient upgrade in my opinion- in any
application. CPU speed is only a fraction of the equation when it
comes to performance- (which in itself has limited practical
benefits). Your FSB remains the same, and your base architecture
remains the same. This upgrade will result only in a slightly higher
benchmark score, and maybe speed up daily tasks by a few nanoseconds.
I think the money would be better spent on memory for either
computers, or perhaps something else. that is just my opinion.

<jj_bpk@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have a Dimensions 8250, 2.4 GHz P IV and I may get a free-b/gift
Dimensions 4400, 1.7
> GHz P IV, 400 MHz FSB...
>
> I want to know if I can use the 2.4 GHz 533 FSB cpu from the 8250 in the
4400??

Yes, but not at full speed.

> Will the 533 MHz FSB cpu step down to the 4400's 400 MHz FSB??

Yes. It'll run at 1.8 GHz (2400/133*100).

> I know the 8250 has the 850E chips set and the 4400 has the 845 chip set..
But I think
> that has more to do with the board speed and memory??
>
> The plan is to give the up-graded 4400 to the kids and up-grade my system
to a 3.06 GHz..

Going from 1.7 to 1.8 GHz isn't going to be much of an upgrade.

Thanks for the quick replies...
I guess the freebee isn't such a deal..
Thanks again
Jim
An Old Parrot Head
In The Conch Republic
Just South of Reality

"bu" <user@domain.ok> wrote in message
> jj_bpk@bellsouth.net wrote:

<snip>

> Processors like the P4 get their clock speed from the absolute bus
> speed and a built-in multiplier. The multiplier on my Pentium IV is
> x20, and the absolute bus speed is 100Mhz, hence my cpu clocks at
> 2000MHZ or 2.0GHZ. So basically, the speed of the CPU is relative to
> the "FSB", and it will scale down, but as you see, there is no point
> in this case. The 2.4GHZ is much better off in the 8250.

I have to disagree with you. The P4 uses a quad-pumped architecture. Sure,
the system FSB is 100, but the chip core frequency is quadrouple that, or
400mhz. There is then a CPU multiplier of 5 to get you to your 2000Mhz
threshold.

I think you are getting you AMD and P4 concepts confused.

- NuTs

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

"NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message

> "bu" <user@domain.ok> wrote in message
>> jj_bpk@bellsouth.net wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

>> Processors like the P4 get their clock speed from the absolute bus
>> speed and a built-in multiplier. The multiplier on my Pentium IV is
>> x20, and the absolute bus speed is 100Mhz, hence my cpu clocks at
>> 2000MHZ or 2.0GHZ. So basically, the speed of the CPU is relative to
>> the "FSB", and it will scale down, but as you see, there is no point
>> in this case. The 2.4GHZ is much better off in the 8250.
>
> I have to disagree with you. The P4 uses a quad-pumped architecture. Sure,
> the system FSB is 100, but the chip core frequency is quadrouple that, or
> 400mhz. There is then a CPU multiplier of 5 to get you to your 2000Mhz
> threshold.
>
> I think you are getting you AMD and P4 concepts confused.

No, I think YOU are getting confused.

My 1.7GHz P4 runs at 17x100 for 1700MHz

My 3000+ Athlon XP runs at 13x166 = 2158MHz

Although the P4 FSB is quad pumped, this has no effect on the end CPU speed,
just like the 2x FSB in Athlons.

TRENDING THREADS