AMD/Intel Barebones comparisons (UPDATED) *DELETED*

Out of XAT (extreme annoyance of trolling) i have deleted this post out of protest. XAT is just another form of PC (politcal correctness).

Post deleted by xxsk8er101xx<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by xxsk8er101xx on 03/27/02 11:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

FatBurger

Illustrious
The P4 RDRAM system has 512MB of RAM, the others have 256MB. That's where the discrepancy comes from.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
I noticed that too, you should clear that up to be sure. I looked and it does appear to be 2 modules x 256 = 512. There is still a price diff but not nearly as big! If you would increase the speeds the AMD system would start to see a bigger price diff, but at 1600+/1600 the prices are very similar....

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I will let the link speak for itself.

<A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com/1/306/4107-1.htm" target="_new">http://www.pricewatch.com/1/306/4107-1.htm</A>

Add in 256 megs of ram for 64 bucks.(pricewatch micron ddr pc2100)

Closer to 220 than 440, just what I would buy tho.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

i don't like pricewatch. Have you ever shopped at those places where it's the cheapest? the SH is outragous and the service is crap! You wait 2 weeks for it just to ship it if your lucky. Then you have to deal with phone calls and waits and it's just a huge mess. for what? to save 5 dollars? My man! Are you that cheap? I chose Mwave as they are well known and well respected and they get there job done in a timely fashion. Also it is very easy to bundle your parts. They will even test it and put together for you. for a fee of course. but what other site offers that? hmm? that is why i chose mwave. Not pricewatch as pricewatch is NOT a vendor!!!

but good try :)

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
There was an excellent barebones combo from newegg for IIRC 165$, newegg rocks.

Here let me propose a different setup.

econopc(have dealt with them before and they are fine, resellerratings gives them a 5)

830LR - with cpu - ATHLON XP 1600+, 1.4GHZ 266MHz and fan=147
265 micron pc2100 ddr=66$ from googlegear(great retailer)

Total cost= 233(+20 for shipping)

So as you can see, IMO, your prices are quite high, why pay what, 430 for something you can get for 233?

newegg .. shop there all the time ... but mwave makes it easier to choose your parts in your bundle and has a wide variety in motherboard choices. neweggs bundles it with out being able to choose your parts and your limited with 3 motherboard makers. None of which is asus, abit, or epox. Check it out yourself. Mwave has a very good bundle system and a huge selection.

not advertising for mwave just stating facts. and yes i shop at newegg all the time.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

googlegear... it took forever to ship my friends videocard and motherboard. And googlegear emailed my friend telling him the board was out of stock. it took 2 weeks and a few phone calls (find out what is going on with the shipping, took forever) for my friend to finally get his videocard but no motherboard which was said was instock but not when he ordered it apparently. In the end he had to wait 2 weeks, waste time on the phone and got credited for the cost of the motherboard. In then in the end it was a pain in the butt and only got half of his order.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by xxsk8er101xx on 03/26/02 11:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

sdausmus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2001
I will use Newegg, one of my favorite online vendors. I am picking motherboards based on recommendations on this board. I will not be using the A7N-266E motherboard because the onboard video,sound and LAN isn't levelling the playing field as far as keeping the systems "barebones"

common parts: Enlight case with 340W PSU, ($60) Mitsumi floppy drive ($9) and for the two DDR systems, 256MB of PNY PC2100 DDR SDRAM using Samsung chips ($74)

AMD:

Soyo K7V Dragon+ motherboard: $142
AMD Athlon 1600+ retail box: $125

TOTAL with FedEx Express Saver shipping: $444.95

INTEL w/ DDR:

Asus P4B266 motherboard: $156
Intel Pentium 4 1.6A retail box: $139

TOTAL with shipping: $472.95

Intel w/ RAMBUS: (swap DDR RAM for 2x 128MB PC800 RIMMs from Corsair)

Abit TH7II motherboard: $146
Intel Pentium 4 1.6A retail box: $139

TOTAL with shipping: $490.38

So the price difference going through Newegg is a little more pronounced than xxsk8er101xx, but not much more so.

As an aside, upgrading to the XP 1800+,--which would perform faster than either of the Intel systems at stock speeds--would bring the total up to $451.95...still a few dollars cheaper than the two Intel machines. Bringing the Intel systems up to the 1.8A processor would add about $47 to their prices. Something to think about if you're not the overclocking type.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Here we go again, this is turning out much like AMD_Man's recommended systems thread.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

grrrr i know what you mean ... just wanted it to be like a compairison article. As i wanted to find out myself as eveyrone says how this is cheaper then that. If someone posted something i was hoping it would be less trolling.

This is the bad in this forum.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I am just making suggestions, I dont see a reason to spend 500 bucks for a system you can get for 250, thats all.

I am also sure there are better deals for intel systems, but is this not a disucssion on barebones systems, I linked prices and websites to get good deals, perfectly valid.

sdausmus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2001
How is it trolling to show a different setup, and discuss what works and what doesn't in either one? I posted another comparison because I thought it would be interesting to see how much the price difference would be from buying things piecemeal to getting a bundle package.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Yeah, I dont see any trolling in this thread, but apparently skater did, which Is why I asked him, what do they consider trolling.

Edited to remove erronious burger reference.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Matisaro on 03/27/02 09:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Ok, using mwaves own barebones setup I can come up with this.

AMD ATHLON & DDR SYSTEMS
1.44MB FDD
(ECS K7S5A-Specs; AMD ATHLON XP 1600+; 256MB NON-ECC PC2100; ACER 56X CDROM-Specs; AOPEN H600A-Specs; NO MONITOR) $354.00 $354.00

like I said, theres no reason to get the expensive motherboard when a cost effective one does just as well, thats all.

right so you picked the cheapest crap that people would never buy. ECS has tons of problems and i bet that case is horrible.

sdausmus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2001
Had an ECS motherboard. Had no problems with it whatsoever. Sold it to a friend, who has been similarly problem-free. ECS would get my business again.
If you don't want to use the ECS motherboard, use something like the Soltek 75DRV2, which gets good reviews, and is still less expensive than the motherboard you picked. My only real problem with your initial posting was that you used a motherboard with the nForce chipset. Putting a motherboard with onboard entry-level 3D and 5.1 sound up against an Intel motherboard with nothing of the sort either skews it against Intel, since you're able to dispense with adding a video card and a sound card, or skews it against AMD for adding the cost of the nForce chipset, thus narrowing the price gap between the two. Either way, someone could view the setup as biased. Biased towards whom depends on your point of view.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
right so you picked the cheapest crap that people would never buy. ECS has tons of problems and i bet that case is horrible.

You bet wrong, early ecs boards had problems but the k7s5a right now is one of the best values in motherboards.

There is a gigabyte 735 motherboard for 10 bucks more, would that please you more.

I see you deleted your post, which is good, because if you get pissy when people propose alternatives to your overpriced solutions and you call it trolling you dont deserver the pleasure of having a successful thread.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeah, I dont see any trolling in this thread, but apparently skater and burger did,

As I said before, please show me where I accused anyone of trolling.