Are Amd Frequencies the same as Intel.

hachiman

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2001
Just wondering about amd chips compared to intel.

For example is an athlon 1.4 ghz equivalent to a 1.4 intel cpu or maybe only 3/4 of this?

So in effect it is really only maybe the equivalent of a 1ghz intel?

Hope i make sense.

Thanx

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Not sure at what point they start to drastically differ but yes they do now.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
Here is the deal. A 1400mhz AMD is FASTER then a 1400 mhz P4, so its given a "model number" of Athlon XP 1600+. In theory its related to the performance of thier old Tbird core, but its a pretty good indication of how fast it would perform against a P4 too.

As for your example its the other way around, a 1.4 P4 would be about like a 1200 Athlon XP. This is theory of course as the P4 isnt made at 1.4 and the XP isnt made at 1.2 but the idea is valid.....

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
It depends. The Pentium 3 (Coppermine) is roughly equivalient to Athlon T-Bird per clock, give or take.

The P4 Willamette, on the other hand is significantly slower per clock than the Athlon and the Athlon XP. The P4 Northwood is slightly closer to the Athlon XP per Hz in performance, but the AXP is still quite a bit faster at any given frequency. However, since the P4 is clocked significantly higher than the AXP, it makes up what it looses in IPC (instructions per clock cycle).

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
a Mhz is a Mhz... its an internationally accepted and defined standard of measurement.
1Mhz = 1 million cycles per second, with 1 second being precisely 9,192,631,770 cycles of the radiation produced by the transition
between two levels of the cesium 133 atom.

as cpu designs, cache design, size, organisation, and efficiency are different this leads to different numbers of instructions being processed for each cycle, thus giving rise to differing levels of PERFORMANCE.

this can be crudely summarised to
Mhz X Instrucitons per second = performance.

Morally destitute, Emotionally bankrupt but a proud and respected member of Toms Forums! :smile:

hachiman

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2001
Today i changed from an Athlon T-bird 900mhz to an Athlon 1333mhz(Not XP).

Any idea what these would be on an intel scale.
Not sure but think there's different kinds of intels so i am assuming that it would be a p3 intel scale i am talking about.

Thanx

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
There is no P3 that would match that exactly, there is a bit of a hole between P3 and P4. This IMHO was intentional cuz they wanted to make sure there was a big enough diff to sell the P4 when it came out. Taking an educated guess I would say a (theoretical) P3 in the 1400 range and a P4 1500 would about match up.

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
It would be roughly equicvalent.
Athlon Thunderbird and P3 are very similar performing at the same clockspeed. P3 might actually be a percent faster. However, only Tualatin based P3's are available above 1.13ghz I believe...and Tualatin introduced improvements.

So it gets more confusing. Tualatin seems to perform between Thunderbird Athlon and Palomino Athlon (Athlon XP) on a per clock basis.

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
A 1.33GHz Athlon is about as fast as a 1.7GHz P4 Willamette or maybe a 1.8GHz P4 Willamette. Northwood-wise, I'd say it would be about as fast as a 1.6A P4.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
Yeah agreed.... The diff is small for P3/Athlon Tbird. The only real big diff is P3/Tbird compared to P4. Intel castrated P4 to get it out to market quick when thier 1.13 P3 died a horrible death by recall. The P4s scalable clock speed makes up for this however so its not so bad. Only problem is it makes it hard to compare even for the best of us, cuz the P4 may do real well in one app but suck a$$ in another. The Athlon was a bit more stable from app to app, although it does have a nice advantage in apps that rely on the FPU unit....

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
a 1.33GHZ Tbird can tie or beat a 1.8ghz willamette, and I would estimate it would perform on par with a 1.6ghz northwood.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
Yes i should have pointed out the diff between the 2 cores =) The Northwood core should have a different name damnit. At least they use the "a" now!! As for the 1.33/1.6 I wanted to be conservative so I didnt get attacked by trolls =/