Negative Levels and Raise Dead (or the like)

Hello,

we just had this situation in our campaign, and we didn't know how to
rule:

A 5th level character was level drained by a succubus' kiss. He got 5
negative levels and died before the rest of the group could kill (or
better drive off) the succubus.

The party's cleric casted a "Raise Dead" on the poor dead kisser.

Now the question:

What happens?
Does the character raise normally?
Does he die directly after raising, because the negative levels still
exist?
What happened to the negative levels while the character was positively
dead?
Or does the death "clean" the negative levels?
Since he was dead, a restoration could not be cast on him...

At this point, we cut the session....

Please suggest solutions how to rule this situation.

best wishes!

T.
5 answers Last reply
More about negative levels raise dead like

    Minor nitpick: Raise Dead doesn't work for those killed by death
    effects. I'm not sure if that spell could technically work for a
    character killed by lost energy levels. (Not meant as an objection to
    the use of the spell :)

    Gerald Katz

    On 10 Jun 2005 02:34:51 -0700, "tm" <tmichna@gmail.com> scribed into the
    ether:

    >Hello,
    >
    >we just had this situation in our campaign, and we didn't know how to
    >rule:
    >
    >A 5th level character was level drained by a succubus' kiss. He got 5
    >negative levels and died before the rest of the group could kill (or
    >better drive off) the succubus.
    >
    >The party's cleric casted a "Raise Dead" on the poor dead kisser.
    >
    >Now the question:
    >
    >What happens?
    >Does the character raise normally?
    >Does he die directly after raising, because the negative levels still
    >exist?
    >What happened to the negative levels while the character was positively
    >dead?
    >Or does the death "clean" the negative levels?
    >Since he was dead, a restoration could not be cast on him...

    There are allowances for casting things like restoration immediately after
    a raise without the character just falling over dead instantly again.

    The character would lose a constitution point however, since they have no
    levels to lose.

    Matt Frisch wrote:
    > On 10 Jun 2005 02:34:51 -0700, "tm" <tmichna@gmail.com> scribed into
    > the ether:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> we just had this situation in our campaign, and we didn't know how to
    >> rule:
    >>
    >> A 5th level character was level drained by a succubus' kiss. He got 5
    >> negative levels and died before the rest of the group could kill (or
    >> better drive off) the succubus.
    >>
    >> The party's cleric casted a "Raise Dead" on the poor dead kisser.
    >>
    >> Now the question:
    >>
    >> What happens?
    >> Does the character raise normally?
    >> Does he die directly after raising, because the negative levels still
    >> exist?
    >> What happened to the negative levels while the character was
    >> positively dead?
    >> Or does the death "clean" the negative levels?
    >> Since he was dead, a restoration could not be cast on him...
    >
    > There are allowances for casting things like restoration immediately
    > after a raise without the character just falling over dead instantly
    > again.
    >
    > The character would lose a constitution point however, since they
    > have no levels to lose.

    Technically, they've still got all their levels, unless they weren't raised
    until after the negative levels converted to actual lost levels.

    --
    Mark.

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 00:33:09 +0100, "Mark Blunden"
    <m.blundenATntlworld.com@address.invalid> scribed into the ether:

    >Matt Frisch wrote:
    >> On 10 Jun 2005 02:34:51 -0700, "tm" <tmichna@gmail.com> scribed into
    >> the ether:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> we just had this situation in our campaign, and we didn't know how to
    >>> rule:
    >>>
    >>> A 5th level character was level drained by a succubus' kiss. He got 5
    >>> negative levels and died before the rest of the group could kill (or
    >>> better drive off) the succubus.
    >>>
    >>> The party's cleric casted a "Raise Dead" on the poor dead kisser.
    >>>
    >>> Now the question:
    >>>
    >>> What happens?
    >>> Does the character raise normally?
    >>> Does he die directly after raising, because the negative levels still
    >>> exist?
    >>> What happened to the negative levels while the character was
    >>> positively dead?
    >>> Or does the death "clean" the negative levels?
    >>> Since he was dead, a restoration could not be cast on him...
    >>
    >> There are allowances for casting things like restoration immediately
    >> after a raise without the character just falling over dead instantly
    >> again.
    >>
    >> The character would lose a constitution point however, since they
    >> have no levels to lose.
    >
    >Technically, they've still got all their levels, unless they weren't raised
    >until after the negative levels converted to actual lost levels.

    A fair point. They can't stay dead all *that* long, since otherwise they'd
    pop up as a wight, so the "shrug it off" save can't have taken place
    yet...which would be impossible, since dead people don't make saves.

    On 10 Jun 2005 21:01:14 -0700, "Hadsil" <forumite@netzero.com> scribed into
    the ether:

    >Minor nitpick: Raise Dead doesn't work for those killed by death
    >effects. I'm not sure if that spell could technically work for a
    >character killed by lost energy levels. (Not meant as an objection to
    >the use of the spell :)

    I thought about this, but I can't recall anyplace where energy drain is
    considered a death effect.

    I looked up Energy Drain and Enervation, and neither of them carried the
    [Death] label that spells like PW: K do.

Video Games