[Q] PalmOS6 Devices

April 25, 2005 3:47:04 PM

I was just wondering if PalmOne has released any information on when we
might see a PalmOS6 device.

More about : palmos6 devices

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 7:57:59 PM

In article <1gvkop0.1qx0qqmnqq16gN%egusenet@verizon.net>,
egusenet@verizon.net says...
> I was just wondering if PalmOne has released any information on when we
> might see a PalmOS6 device.

Spring 2007

--
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger

Jim Anderson <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote:

> In article <1gvkop0.1qx0qqmnqq16gN%egusenet@verizon.net>,
> egusenet@verizon.net says...
> > I was just wondering if PalmOne has released any information on when we
> > might see a PalmOS6 device.
> >

> Spring 2007

What is your source for this information?
April 26, 2005 1:50:48 AM

Jim works or has a contact within PalmOne. His information is always
correct. But I was surprised to see he had a date for OS6. But then again,
2007 is still a ways away.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 7:05:17 AM

In article <F7hbe.2830$gA5.283217@news20.bellglobal.com>,
barry.k@sympatico.ca says...
> Jim works or has a contact within PalmOne. His information is always
> correct. But I was surprised to see he had a date for OS6. But then again,
> 2007 is still a ways away.

ROFLMAO

There was an interview with a highly placed PalmSource official (can't
find it now) he stated that the current OS has everything everyone wants
and did not expect any Partners would spend the time, effort or money to
roll out an OS6 device in the next couple of years. (He also said that
because the TC with WiFi was a sales disappointment, future Palms will
have Bluetooth) Especially when PalmSource is allmost ready with their
UNIX based OS written by the BE OS personel they accuired. I would not
be suprised if OS6 was never issued in a divice and they just skip it
and go with OSX their new UNIX OS.

--
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
April 26, 2005 1:39:21 PM

Jim Anderson <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote:

> Especially when PalmSource is allmost ready with their
> UNIX based OS written by the BE OS personel they accuired.

Any idea what "almost ready" means in this case?
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 9:40:57 PM

In article <1gvmdgd.1urso6g60syasN%egusenet@verizon.net>,
egusenet@verizon.net says...
> Jim Anderson <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote:
>
> > Especially when PalmSource is allmost ready with their
> > UNIX based OS written by the BE OS personel they accuired.
>
> Any idea what "almost ready" means in this case?

Soon to be released
In Alpha testing
Selected major developers have it for testing.

--
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 9:40:58 PM

In message <MPG.1cd83928b7dd03c1989780@news.frontiernet.net> Jim
Anderson <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote:

>In article <1gvmdgd.1urso6g60syasN%egusenet@verizon.net>,
>egusenet@verizon.net says...
>> Jim Anderson <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote:
>>
>> > Especially when PalmSource is allmost ready with their
>> > UNIX based OS written by the BE OS personel they accuired.
>>
>> Any idea what "almost ready" means in this case?
>>

>Soon to be released
>In Alpha testing
>Selected major developers have it for testing.

Damn, I had no idea it was that far along already. Any idea how it
fairs as far as backwards compatibility?

--
Politicians, like diapers, have to be changed frequently,
and for the very same reason.

In article <v68t61hp0ed0701k8sdtlv4gu9aec2ji5c@news.readfreenews.net>,
ihatespam@crazyhat.net says...
> In message <MPG.1cd83928b7dd03c1989780@news.frontiernet.net> Jim
> Anderson <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote:
>
> >In article <1gvmdgd.1urso6g60syasN%egusenet@verizon.net>,
> >egusenet@verizon.net says...

> >> Any idea what "almost ready" means in this case?
> >>

> >Soon to be released
> >In Alpha testing
> >Selected major developers have it for testing.
>
> Damn, I had no idea it was that far along already. Any idea how it
> fairs as far as backwards compatibility?

No idea

--
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 4:06:52 AM

Jim Anderson wrote:
> In article <v68t61hp0ed0701k8sdtlv4gu9aec2ji5c@news.readfreenews.net>,
> ihatespam@crazyhat.net says...
>> In message <MPG.1cd83928b7dd03c1989780@news.frontiernet.net> Jim
>> Anderson <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote:
>>
>>> In article <1gvmdgd.1urso6g60syasN%egusenet@verizon.net>,
>>> egusenet@verizon.net says...

>>> Soon to be released
>>> In Alpha testing
>>> Selected major developers have it for testing.
>>
>> Damn, I had no idea it was that far along already. Any idea how it
>> fairs as far as backwards compatibility?
>>

> No idea

Everyone has a theory about where Palm is going with the OS. The
easiest for them is to license Windows Mobile so that they can slog it
out with HP, ASUS, and Dell for the bloody remains of the rapidly
diminishing handheld PDA market without the senseless burden of bringing
out a new OS and devices to host it. They could then focus on meeting
the competition for cell phone PDAs where the market is moving and where
the profit is.

April 27, 2005 4:06:53 AM

Quaoar wrote:

> Jim Anderson wrote:
>> In article <v68t61hp0ed0701k8sdtlv4gu9aec2ji5c@news.readfreenews.net>,
>> ihatespam@crazyhat.net says...

>>> Damn, I had no idea it was that far along already. Any idea how it
>>> fairs as far as backwards compatibility?
>>>

>> No idea
>
> Everyone has a theory about where Palm is going with the OS. The
> easiest for them is to license Windows Mobile so that they can slog it
> out with HP, ASUS, and Dell for the bloody remains of the rapidly
> diminishing handheld PDA market without the senseless burden of bringing
> out a new OS and devices to host it. They could then focus on meeting
> the competition for cell phone PDAs where the market is moving and where
> the profit is.

(a) PalmSource is bringing out the new OS, PalmOne and several other
companies are bringing out the hardware. Bringing out the OS is no more
burden for the companies that actually _sell_ Palms than going to Windows
would be.

(b) There is no real _need_ for new devices--there's no reason why the new
OS can't run on existing hardware except that PalmOne probably won't make
it available.

(c) If they _are_ going to bring out new hardware, why would the "senseless
burden" be less if they were going to Windows than it is sticking with
Palm?

(d) PalmOne doesn't seem to be having any trouble at all "meeting the
competition for cell phone PDAs".

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Hello, DevilsPGD !
You wrote:

> In message <MPG.1cd83928b7dd03c1989780@news.frontiernet.net> Jim
> Anderson <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote:
>
> >In article <1gvmdgd.1urso6g60syasN%egusenet@verizon.net>,
> >egusenet@verizon.net says...

> >> Any idea what "almost ready" means in this case?
> >>

> >Soon to be released
> >In Alpha testing
> >Selected major developers have it for testing.
>
> Damn, I had no idea it was that far along already. Any idea how it
> fairs as far as backwards compatibility?

It's actually even farther along than that. Cobalt, the new name for PalmOS
6 was released to hardware vendors a year ago and is already up to version
6.1. It does break some existing applications but from what I've seen and
heard, it's not much worse in this regard than PalmOS 5.x (which is now
called, "Garnet") in this regard. The big sticking point -- especially for
PalmOne -- is that it requires all new hardware drivers which is why
PalmOne is still using Garnet for all of its new PDAs.
--
"It's a long story. And it ends with me on the roof of a goddamned nuthouse
on Route 128 doing a one-man tribute to the Three Stooges."

Roberto Castillo
robertocastillo@ameritech.net
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 8:27:31 PM

In article <94KdnZ_Bb80AkfLfRVn-sg@comcast.com>, quaoar@tenthplanet.net
says...
> Jim Anderson wrote:
> > In article <v68t61hp0ed0701k8sdtlv4gu9aec2ji5c@news.readfreenews.net>,
> > ihatespam@crazyhat.net says...

> >> Damn, I had no idea it was that far along already. Any idea how it
> >> fairs as far as backwards compatibility?
> >>

> > No idea
>
> Everyone has a theory about where Palm is going with the OS. The
> easiest for them is to license Windows Mobile so that they can slog it
> out with HP, ASUS, and Dell for the bloody remains of the rapidly
> diminishing handheld PDA market without the senseless burden of bringing
> out a new OS and devices to host it. They could then focus on meeting
> the competition for cell phone PDAs where the market is moving and where
> the profit is.

They are a Win Mobile Licensee, a Treo650 running the unreleased
WinMobile 2005 has been spotted in the wild;
<http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7748&gt;
Will be releasing another in China in the next couple of months.

--
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 2:53:12 AM

fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net ha scritto:

> I would not
> be suprised if OS6 was never issued in a divice and they just skip it
> and go with OSX their new UNIX OS.

I hope they will be more careful about announces!

The announce of Palm OS 6.1 _before_ the release of Palm OS 6.0 was the
most stupid thing I've ever seen by a OS producer...

What about Palm4Linux? They are really working on development?

MG
!