XP 2100+ Outshines P4 2.2

Nikko

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<A HREF="http://crn.channelsupersearch.com/news/crn/34031.asp" target="_new">http://crn.channelsupersearch.com/news/crn/34031.asp</A>

What's <A HREF="http://www.vanshardware.com/" target="_new">this</A> all about?

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Looks like nothing more than mislead/lying about THG. I don't know really...but I guess that it may have SOME value to it. Personnally, I think it is just another spammer like the infamous AMDmeltdown

"When there's a will, there's a way."

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
BTW, a much more fair fight will be the Thouroughbred .13 versus the Northwood .13, when AMD will be able to turn up the Mhz dial once more.

Kemche

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2001
Why is that? Why not compare best available vs. best available. Because when Thouroughbred releases Intel will release 2.4Ghz so they will be even again. So I think it would be best to compare best of AMD vs best of Intel. If you are going to overclock then it would be a different story since we don't know how well T-bred will be overclocked vs. P4 which can be overclocked very well.

KG

<b>"Hey! It compiles! Ship it!"</b>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
anyway the 1 april it will be official.

cheap, cheap. Think cheap, and you'll always be cheap.AMD version of semi conducteur industrie

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
yeah using ddr automatically makes the comparison not valid. Rdram cost almost the same and performs better, most people would get that instead unless they had a specific reason for using ddr

<i>My life wasn't complete untill I tried sse-2 optimized pong</i>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
most people would get that instead unless they had a specific reason for using ddr
That must be why so many people end up with i845+PC133 rigs. :tongue:

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?

G

Oh, its valid allright, it just proofs that you shouldnt buy a P4+DDR Ram. But, that being said, how many P4 systems are actually sold with RDRAM ? THere is only one chipset out there that supports RDRAM afaik.. I think it would have been more fair to compare an athlon with a P4 + RDRAM *and* a P4 + DDR to get the whole picture.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

eden

Champion
Personally P4 with DDR will never shine until DDR 400 is out. If you want proof, ask for the link and I'll provide it. It shows very well how DDR400 with P4, boosts it sky high in performance above PC800 or possibly PC1066. And just thinking that if Dual Channel DDR for P4 was available, DDR400 would be no doubt the best thing.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

FatBurger

Illustrious
I think it would have been more fair to compare an athlon with a P4 + RDRAM *and* a P4 + DDR to get the whole picture.

I agree, and yes, there is only one RDRAM chipset right now.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

G

>If you want proof, ask for the link and I'll provide it.

Gee, need we ask ? Can we have the link *please* ? ;-)

>And just thinking that if Dual Channel DDR for P4 was
>available, DDR400 would be no doubt the best thing.

Well.. you'd have to take into account the complexity of a motherboard supporting dual DDR.. oh no wait.. nForce does it. But anyway, DDR400 isnt there yet, and even DDR333 is hardly a good working standard today (CAS3 and all). I'd already be happy with a dual channel DDR266 board and a cpu to take advantage of it.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The problem with DDR333 isn't the RAM, it's VIA. The IWill XP333 can handle 166MHz FSB with DDR333 at CAS2 easily.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Hey wait a second, before you start spamming like an idiot, take a moment to think. If Intel, Ali, Sis, ANY of those freaking manufacturers wanted to build P4 chipset with DDR 333/400 or even dual channel 266/333, all they would have to do is seek a license with Intel. You want an example? Look at the Sis 635, the first P4 with DDR 333 support.

-Well.. you'd have to take into account the complexity of a motherboard supporting dual DDR.. oh no wait.. nForce does it

Nforce is a good example that if a manufacturer felt like it (even Nvidia), they can work with the company to build it. Unfortunately in this case, AMD can't take advantage of the 4.2GB for dual channel DDR, they are stuck with 2.1Gb for now. Now, imagine Intel "allowing" or "licensing" dual channel DDR chipsets. 4.2GB beating RDRAM's 3.2GB...that negates everything Intel and Rambus have been fighting for, and if they wanted dual channel DDR, they essentially throw away everything they have put into RDRAM. This is very damaging to Intel.

-But anyway, DDR400 isnt there yet, and even DDR333 is hardly a good working standard today (CAS3 and all). I'd already be happy with a dual channel DDR266 board and a cpu to take advantage of it.
Ho ho ho...well, not "officially" out yet, but Kingston (among other Overclockers) have taken PC-266 and PC-333 DDR up to a mind blowing PC-400 believe it or not. Take that in dual channel, and you would have a serious Rambus killing solution...let me think a second...Dual channel DDR-400 would provide 6.4Gb compared to a pathetic 3.2Gb for RDRAM? Mind you, the costs would be astronomical, but wasn't RDRAM the same when it first came out? What was it, about $1,200 for 128MB of PC-800 RDRAM?

This isn't a matter of building the best system or having the greatest RAM and CPU provided by AMD/Intel, but polotics. In fact, if Intel felt like releasing a dual channel DDR solution, they would undoubtedly be a good performance gain, but the repercussions would be serious. Rambus would be killed for sure (Which no one cares for them anymore anyway), the vast majority of Rambus users would have no future for the RAM, and DDR prices would almost assuredly skyrocket. Oh btw, DDR-333 has no problems at CAS 2.5 and even CAS 2...it is the chipset maker, namely Via in this case. If they made a KT333a, they would likely fix the problem.

You haven't seem to put much thought into your words pal =/

eden

Champion
I dunno why I asked for you to ask for a link!
<A HREF="http://www.x86-secret.com/popups/articleswindow.php?id=41" target="_new">http://www.x86-secret.com/popups/articleswindow.php?id=41</A>
It shows why I beleive in DDR400 more than anything Rambus will put up till next year, including PC1200.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!