Attacking Intel

G

I am sick of the peoples who attack Intel for no reason. IPC do not matter, it I am performance of the end. Pentium 4 has the abundance of that one. It also has IHS, the thermal protection, and SSE2, three things that AMD does not have (still). FatBurger put a challenge ahead to prove that Athlon has not the performance best, and same that many trolls attack Intel as being a bad processor, they do not have the courage to accept the challenge. It is of my opinion that is one hypocrite and attacking Intel for no reason.

P.s. Sorry for deficient mine English, I am of Portugal. I read Tom's Hardware and these forums for some hour, but I did not write here because mine English is not good.

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
So whois attacking intel for no reason that's not involved in an post started by an intel_troll ? And i couldn't disagree with you more =).

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Why would IPC not matter? Parallelism has always been a factor in CPUs. If you think it doesn’t work stick your head in a beehive and ask yourself how much honey can one bee produce? I don’t hate Intel but I do hate disinformation. In the end you’ll have to make your own decision on what processor you like. If you ignore half the equation you will be making a half assed decision.

All errors are undocumented features waiting to be discovered.

blue_heart

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
loooooooooool @ IPC do not matter, then what is matter? clock speed? if so then how you prove that AMD performs better than Intel?

how many computer users arround the world getting the benefit of the SSE2?

Intel is not a bad processor, but when they say they are the best and have fastest pocessors so we get bothered from that because this is not true

regarding fat burger challenge and overclocking, unfortunaly most of the users here are talking about overclocking and they forget that only 5% or less of users overclock their machines and this apply only for single anf home users, i never heard a company who own 10's of computers is thinking to overclock or they know what is overclocking. So if we get this fact that overclocking is limited to a specific type of users and specific numbers of them then AMD is the leader.

AMD is not perfect in every application but in most it leads, unless the application has a special code for Intel.

again, the way intel uses to advertise for its processors and the way they go make the some people feel bad

wish if there was UnDo in the life

FatBurger

Illustrious
regarding fat burger challenge and overclocking, unfortunaly most of the users here are talking about overclocking and they forget that only 5% or less of users
However, I do feel that at least most of the people here are willing to overclock, which was why I felt comfortable presenting that challenge. If this was a forum at Cnet or something similar, I wouldn't have.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

blue_heart

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
However, I do feel that at least most of the people here are willing to overclock, which was why I felt comfortable presenting that challenge. If this was a forum at Cnet or something similar, I wouldn't have

i do not have any objection about overclocking and who i am to determine and talk about overclocking, but what i wanted to say that AMD XP processors is better than Intel P4 in terms of performance if you are not overclocking and this is at least for the time being and we do not know what the situation will be with tbred.

and since most of the people around the world do not know or think about overclocking then you can not rate the cpu performance when it is overclocked

wish if there was UnDo in the life

FatBurger

Illustrious
but what i wanted to say that AMD XP processors is better than Intel P4 in terms of performance if you are not overclocking

If it was impossible to overclock, I would never have even considered buying a P4.
I feel that since "most of the people around the world" don't read this forum or understand half of what is said in here anyway, I can make my challenge safely.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just clarifying.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
yeah I agree, it's performace in the end that counts. However amd zealots enjoy pulling the card of "p4's ipc sucks compared to athlon's" when the p4 pulls ahead.

I think it's a good time for the cpu market though, we have 2 processors which are very close in performance. Both companies are trying to outdo each other. This can be good or bad. The good part is it drives prices down, and higher clocked cpu's are released more quickly. The bad part is we get shady actions from both companies, such as intel saying that mhz is everything or amd creating the confusing pr rating.

<i>My life wasn't complete untill I tried sse-2 optimized pong</i>

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think Intel makes great CPU. The only reason I build my system with an AMD CPU is that I do not want to pay a few hundred dollars more for an similar performance system with Intel Processor.

varlo

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
FatBurger put a challenge ahead to prove that Athlon has not the performance best, and same that many trolls attack Intel as being a bad processor, they do not have the courage to accept the challenge.
Correct me if i'm wrong,but that chalange is for the Tbred,no?

I have yet to see one and I work for Tier 1 AMD disty...

The faster a computer is, the faster it will reach a crashed state :eek:

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
However amd zealots enjoy pulling the card of "p4's ipc sucks compared to athlon's" when the p4 pulls ahead.
I don’t think anyone who replied to this post stated anything of the sort. Some did state the IPC matters. Its just like size, you know what I’m talking about, identical to the misrepresentation of length to width when volume is considered.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I do not want to pay a few hundred dollars more for an similar performance system with Intel Processor.

And you don't have to, check xxsk8er101xx's thread for pricing on similar systems. Intel is still more expensive, but a "few hundred dollars" is a bit exaggerated.

Correct me if i'm wrong,but that chalange is for the Tbred,no?

One was, the other was for any Athlon to out-perform my OCed 1.6A.

BTW, who do you work for?

I don’t think anyone who replied to this post stated anything of the sort.

No, but it has been said many times before.

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
BTW, who do you work for?
If this is directed at me, I have to dance around the subject. Does work not imply a job or can one just work for the enjoyment of the task? Should one measure ones salary in the Dot Com boom to ones salary in the Dot Com bust? I work for the man who cares the most about me.

FatBurger

Illustrious
No, it was directed to Varlo. No dancing required. At least not from you. :wink:

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
I have nothing against Intel processors its just thier PR tactics and marketing crap they spew out concerning Mhz as the only viable metric.

I'd sock it to Intel anyday..they need a slap round the face...who are they are kidding ?

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
You think a company is not going to promote thier product? Are they supposed to say thier product is crap? I would most companys exagerate at least a little on what thier products do.

varlo

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
I work for Supercom Canada in Montreal.
<A HREF="http://www.supercom.ca" target="_new">http://www.supercom.ca</A>

The faster a computer is, the faster it will reach a crashed state :eek:

Kennyshin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Also, most of the people around the world do not really care what "IPC" actually means. They do not want to "unlock" their Athlon XP multiplier for overclocking and it was Tom's Hardware that published the related information to do that.

Searching for the true, the beautiful, and the eternal

eden

Champion
At least you CAN unlock it, Intel won't let you at all unless you get them to send you a specially hand-picked chip.
So with AMD you have more freedom in overclocking enthusiasm.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

Kennyshin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
I never tried to unlock my Athlon XP 1600+ because the warranty clearly states it voids everything and I paid nearly $200 for it.

It was easy for me to overclock a Pentium 120MHz to 200MHz and Celeron 300A to 504MHz. Many people around me run Pentium 4 1.6a at 2.4GHz. I never buy an Intel CPU for more than $150 - I mean not yet.

Searching for the true, the beautiful, and the eternal

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
regarding fat burger challenge and overclocking, unfortunaly most of the users here are talking about overclocking and they forget that only 5% or less of users

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, I do feel that at least most of the people here are willing to overclock, which was why I felt comfortable presenting that challenge. If this was a forum at Cnet or something similar, I wouldn't have.

No one can even take the fb challenge till the tbred is released lol.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
And you don't have to, check xxsk8er101xx's thread for pricing on similar systems. Intel is still more expensive, but a "few hundred dollars" is a bit exaggerated.

Its all in the motherboard, I posted a combo which was better performing than the p4 combo for 200 less, so again, it depends on the motherboard.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I never tried to unlock my Athlon XP 1600+ because the warranty clearly states it voids everything and I paid nearly $200 for it.

It was easy for me to overclock a Pentium 120MHz to 200MHz and Celeron 300A to 504MHz. Many people around me run Pentium 4 1.6a at 2.4GHz. I never buy an Intel CPU for more than $150 - I mean not yet.

Intels warranty CLEARLY states that overclocking it VOIDS the warranty, just like amds, if you overclock the fsb yoy VOID your warranty.

You can LIE to intel/amd if you return your chip, but you still violated your warranty. Comprehende!

eden

Champion
Again you are drifting the subject here...
Absolutly remotely nobody here buys AMDs for their warranties, JUST ASK. We don't care for them because we know what we do is on our responsibility. Otherwise the CPU forum would be dull and inexistent, just a forum to recommend new CPUs, nothing else like enthusiast discussions. So whether you would think AMD has anything wrong in their overclocking, it applies as well to Intel when doing so, and thus the unlocking of AMD CPUs is bigger better plus for AMD. I can just wait to see how Matisaro will enjoy unlocking and upping the FSB+Multi in sync with RAM, taking on Fatty's challenge without having to get an insane bus totally asynchronised.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

Nikko

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Guerreiro...the performance of a CPU is determined by IPCxFrequency. The Athlon executes NINE instructions every clock tick, the Pentium 4 executes SIX. IPC is half the equation.

What's <A HREF="http://www.vanshardware.com/" target="_new">this</A> all about?