Windows 7 to SSD

CalvinL

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
My hard drive is close to failing and I'm sending it back to hardwareversand.de. However, my Windows 7 is installed on it and I'm wondering how do I/can I transfer it to my newly purchased SSD? It's a 64bit pre-installed version from Hardwareversand.

CalvinL

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
I was told by a mate that a fresh install should work. By entering in the OEM key that I have from hardwareversand. Would it work, even though I already activated it?

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Yes. The only thing is that OEM operating systems are tied to hardware, specifically your motherboard. If you are keeping your same hardware (minus the hard drive) it will work fine without problems. I have reinstalled my windows probably 5x over the past year or so (I like to tinker) and I use the same key every time and authenticate windows without problem.

Not sure I would want to clone a failing drive in case problems were transferred to the new drive! A clean install would be preferred, you can download Win 7 with SP1 from here
http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/604187-legal-download-digitalriver-windows-7-sp1-13-languages.html
Burn it to a disk by Rt click on the downloaded ISO and choose Burn Disk Image.
Follow the tweak guide, and move the location of your music/documents/pictures/downloads/videos Folders to your HDD (Assume you will have one for storage?) Obtain your Drivers from your Manufacturer's website, install AV and you're off.