Oddities of the DMG random treasure tables

I know the random treasure tables only give an approximation of a particular
character's belongings, but one thing in particular about them bothers me:
The proportion of character wealth that comes out as low-value coins like
copper and silver.

I've just been generating treasure for a temple of 28 assorted cultists
(mostly 4th-6th level with a 9th-level High Priest), and at standard coinage
weights they've got just over two tonnes of coins between them. Where are
they even keeping them?!?

Are there any decent random treasure generators online? Using the DMG tables
gets a bit labour-intensive at these levels.

--
Mark.

Mark Blunden wrote:
> I've just been generating treasure for a temple of 28 assorted cultists
> (mostly 4th-6th level with a 9th-level High Priest), and at standard coinage
> weights they've got just over two tonnes of coins between them. Where are
> they even keeping them?!?

"Big mounds of coins in the temple treasure vaults" seems
like the genre-appropriate place for the loot to be kept.
The combined treasure of the cultists doesn't necessarily
belong to each individual cultist, they could each have
relatively tiny amounts of personal wealth while the
treasure table reflects what the temple they serve has
accumulated.

Walt Smith
Firelock on DALNet

drow

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004

Alien mind control rays made Mark Blunden <m.blundenATntlworld.com@address.invalid> write:
> I know the random treasure tables only give an approximation of a
> particular character's belongings, but one thing in particular about
> them bothers me: The proportion of character wealth that comes out as
> low-value coins like copper and silver.

if you're clever, just a bit of that is pocket change, some more might
be an actual stash of coins, the rest is the sum value of things like
"wardrobe, carved oak with silver inlay, 15 gp 5 sp value, 15 lbs.
contains five sets of clothing plus various mis-matched socks,
total 7 gp 9 sp value, 4 lbs." >;)

> Are there any decent random treasure generators online? Using the DMG
> tables gets a bit labour-intensive at these levels.

i happen to be partial to the one at...

http://www.bin.sh/gaming/tools/treasure.cgi

david lamb also has a very good java applet...

http://www.cs.queensu.ca/home/dalamb/java/treasure/

--
\^\ // drow@bin.sh (CARRIER LOST) <http://www.bin.sh/>
\ // - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

KAOS

On 10 Jun 2005 18:19:03 GMT, drow <drow@bin.sh> dared speak in front
of ME:

>Alien mind control rays made Mark Blunden <m.blundenATntlworld.com@address.invalid> write:
>> I know the random treasure tables only give an approximation of a
>> particular character's belongings, but one thing in particular about
>> them bothers me: The proportion of character wealth that comes out as
>> low-value coins like copper and silver.
>
>if you're clever, just a bit of that is pocket change, some more might
>be an actual stash of coins, the rest is the sum value of things like
>"wardrobe, carved oak with silver inlay, 15 gp 5 sp value, 15 lbs.
>contains five sets of clothing plus various mis-matched socks,
>total 7 gp 9 sp value, 4 lbs." >;)

Oh, indeed. But I think his issue is that the system defaults to
silly things like "5000 copper coins, 1200 silver coins, 100 gold
coins." Which implies it's supposed to be coinage.

Of course, it's been awhile since I ran rather than played, so my
memory on the treasure tables is... untrustworthy. Maybe it doesn't
do things like that.

--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from

"Mark Blunden" <m.blundenATntlworld.com@address.invalid> wrote in message
>I know the random treasure tables only give an approximation of a
>particular
> character's belongings, but one thing in particular about them bothers me:
> The proportion of character wealth that comes out as low-value coins like
> copper and silver.
>
> I've just been generating treasure for a temple of 28 assorted cultists
> (mostly 4th-6th level with a 9th-level High Priest), and at standard
> coinage
> weights they've got just over two tonnes of coins between them. Where are
> they even keeping them?!?

Copper has a density of about 8 times that of water. Figure half that for
loose coins, Two tons of water is two cubic meters. One eighth of that is
1/2 of a cubic meter. Say about 40" by 40" by 20", which is not a very
large pile. It's nice, but not a dragon's bed or anything. Maybe a bed for
a dragon's egg.

drow wrote:
> Alien mind control rays made Mark Blunden
> <m.blundenATntlworld.com@address.invalid> write:
>> I know the random treasure tables only give an approximation of a
>> particular character's belongings, but one thing in particular about
>> them bothers me: The proportion of character wealth that comes out as
>> low-value coins like copper and silver.
>
> if you're clever, just a bit of that is pocket change, some more might
> be an actual stash of coins, the rest is the sum value of things like
> "wardrobe, carved oak with silver inlay, 15 gp 5 sp value, 15 lbs.
> contains five sets of clothing plus various mis-matched socks,
> total 7 gp 9 sp value, 4 lbs." >;)
>
>> Are there any decent random treasure generators online? Using the DMG
>> tables gets a bit labour-intensive at these levels.
>
> i happen to be partial to the one at...
>
> http://www.bin.sh/gaming/tools/treasure.cgi
>
> david lamb also has a very good java applet...
>
> http://www.cs.queensu.ca/home/dalamb/java/treasure/

Thanks, that's just what I was looking for - the first one is very nice, a
lot simpler than generating lists by hand. I'll try out the java one later.

--
Mark.