windows update and microsoft have rejected me?

twanto

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2002
So I go to see if there are any updates and:

When I scan for updates there aren't any! There are always some silly language or whatever updates and wanting me to get windowns media player 9. Now there is nothing.

Also, when I go to windows support, I cannot search anywhere on the site. What gives? I'm using a burnt copy of win2k, does microsoft know this? I've never had this problem before and I can't figure it out.

twanto

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
By admin account, I mean the one named "Administrator" that you set up during the install. Not the default login with admin priveledges.

If you've been messing with settings, you may need to check that the ADMIN priveledges are not changed from defaults.

Also, if you are running a firewall or pop-up killer, you will most likely have to disable them to get it to work.

But then... you can always go to their Downloads site and install updates manually.

twanto

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2002
Hi again teq,

I'm in the administrator's account. I don't know any pop-up stuff, but I do use Ad-aware and Ad-watch. Maybe that is the issue.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
MS is probable on their way to your house as we speak. Is the date and time correct on your PC?

When you feel that reality does not suit you, live a fantasy life.

twanto

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2002
That's okay because I have the machine gunners stationed. Date and time... no they aren't correct. Jan 1, 2002. Haha. IT WORKS NOW!!!! Now I just feel silly.

Thanks,

twanto

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Hi Twanto,
It can't hurt to try disabling the ad-aware stuff that runs in the background.

I have seen problems where the applet installed by windows update has been seen as a virus triggers the alarms, and fails to install.

What service pack are you running?
SP3 has it's own built in applet for updating which works much better than the old method.

It also has background updating which I suggest you turn off. There's nothing like being 3 hours into a word processor session when it asks if you want to reboot your machine. <G>