When will P4 - 2,4 hit market?

eden

Champion
You would save a huge wad of money by getting a 1.6 GHZ A or 1.8GHZA and overclock them to 2.4GHZ. Just my opinion.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

FatBurger

Illustrious
<A HREF="http://www.atacom.com/program/atacom_new.cgi?cart_id=3922729_198_36_180_130&FCODE=IP47_CPUX&ADD=CPUX_IP47_BD_E3&DIFF=&USER_ID=www" target="_new">Or maybe even sooner...</A>

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

dhlucke

Polypheme
How much sooner can you get than April :)

<font color=red>First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.</font color=red><font color=blue>

dhlucke

Polypheme
$610??? Must make you feel good, knowing your overclocked 1.6 only cost a bit over $100

:smile:

<font color=red>First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.</font color=red><font color=blue>

FatBurger

Illustrious
I think a couple of days ago is sooner than April, but I could be wrong.

And yes, it does make me feel good :smile:

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

eden

Champion
Technically saying, wouldn't it mean yours is also superior at the same clock, if you got a huge bus? Or is most of it wasted when doing such insane FSB OCs? That's what I've been wondering, I mean some could get up to a 1GHZ FSB, that's friggin huge in an OC, and I can't help but wonder how efficient and if it ain't supposed to produce a tremendous IPC boost at the same OCed clock than a stock of that clock (2.4GHZ-400FSB vs 2.4GHZ -800FSB ex.)

--

M_C_Hammer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2002
The 2.4 Ghz P4 is made so DELL and friends can sell a 2.4 Ghz computer to the less hardware knowledgeable public, when you realise you could just overclock a 1.XA P4 and get same (or better) performance for a LOT less money it seems a bit crazy to buy a 2.4 Ghz P4.

Mind you i think buying any processor now is crazy, because when AMD release the Tbred (soon!), the prices of the other AMD processors will fall fall fall, then you can pick up an AMD bargain.

I need a 1.5 Ghz Athlon + 512mb ddr ram to write emails......honestly

FatBurger

Illustrious
The internal clock is the same whether it's 1x100 or 100x1, the greater bus speed could go to waste, but you'll never have less performance from a processor with the same clock that has a higher FSB.

Let me explain a bit more in case that doesn't make sense.

The reason that a multiplier was originally started was because there were instructions that took more than one clock cycle to complete. So they started using a multiplier so that it would finish faster, but they wouldn't have to raise the FSB (and deal with those hassles). So a 2.4GHz processor with a 100MHz bus has the exact same IPC (disregarding RAM or other system factors) as a 2.4GHz processor with a 155MHz bus. The difference is that the bandwidth between it and the RAM is greater unless you bump the RAM back down to the original FSB. However, even if the RAM is bumped back down, the processor is still a higher clockspeed, so you get the same benefit as if you had a higher multiplier.

So (in theory), when you have two processors with the same clockspeed, the one with the higher multiplier would <b>never</b> give better performance. It might give the same performance, but never better.

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Next week by <A HREF="http://www.reuters.com/co_news_presentation.jhtml?type=companynews&provider=companynews&StoryID=754649&symbol1=INTC.O&symbol2=INTC.O" target="_new">Reuters</A>

All errors are undocumented features waiting to be discovered.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I'm getting the feeling I'm being completely ignored by the entire forum.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Do you realize, that the cart is adding an extra CPU each time someone goes there?

It was at 4 when I first checked it out, I hit refresh and it went to 5.

Now it's at 51, hehe.

Trollin' trollin' trollin', keep them doggies postin', my fingers are swollen, Rawhide!

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
I understand what you’re saying. What about a higher clocked synchronous bus vs asynchronous bus? Couldn’t there be a situation where latencies produce a moderate hit?

Is anyone going to pay the $30k+ for that cart? I was processor 49 and 50 in the cart.

All errors are undocumented features waiting to be discovered.

eden

Champion
Yes yes but I mean that in theory wouldn't your system be much more performing because you a bigger bus than 400MHZ? So technically at 2.4GHZ your system wouldn't be better than the stock?

--

FatBurger

Illustrious
Do you realize, that the cart is adding an extra CPU each time someone goes there?

No, I didn't realize that. That's hilarious :lol:

Couldn’t there be a situation where latencies produce a moderate hit?

Absolutely, but I was talking only about the CPU, RAM did not come into my explanation, since that would require quite a bit more explanation.

Yes yes but I mean that in theory wouldn't your system be much more performing because you a bigger bus than 400MHZ? So technically at 2.4GHZ your system wouldn't be better than the stock?

Yes, absolutely. Perhaps not "much" more performing (at least not in all instances), but it would perform better.

Kennyshin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001