OS HDD to SSD

This Guy_18

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
So I got a computer off the internet and didn't get a Windows 7 installation disc. I have already put a bunch of things onto my HDD and don't want to just shrink the HDD and move into onto the SSD. So how can move my OS to my SSD without doing any of this?

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
First, find out what your windows 7 product key is. What version of windows 7 is it? E.g. Windows 7 Ultimate, Professional, Home Premium, etc. And what bit system type as well. All this is under "My computer>Sytem properties".

Then, you could download your version of windows from a site such as this:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/
It is legal (pretty sure).

Download that to a bootable flash driver or burn it to a dvd. Install that onto your SSD. Use your product key from your HDD for your SSD.
Plug in your SSD and your HDD. Go to the BIOS, select SSD as boot drive.

Your computer will boot to the SSD, run from the SSD but all your files from your HDD will remain. You might have some shortcut problems but you should be able to go into "Start>Computer>HDD drive letter(?)>whateverprogram/fileyouwant".

And if worst comes to worst, just restart the computer and boot from your HDD. You might have to re-enter your windows product key.

This Guy_18

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013

I found my product key and I have Home Premium. Also I have 64 bit OS but which one do i download the english x86 or english x64

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
x86 would be for 32 bit computers, (confusing I know). You would want the x64 bit.

Also, be careful. Your product key is not the same thing as your product ID:

12d612f2597f7d03e2652ecdf803547e.png

The part I blacked out is the ID, not the key.

This Guy_18

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013

So the sticker on the side of my computer would be it. The guy that sold me this comp said he put a new sticker on the side so would that be it?

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

So it would really be as simple as installing windows to the ssd, and then once I boot up, I just move all my files around?

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
You wouldn't be able to copy programs from your HDD to your SSD, you would have to reinstall those programs on your SSD if you want them there. You would still be able to access your programs on your HDD though.

I have wow installed on my HDD and I reinstalled my OS SSD. I can still go into my HDD and run wow and everything works fine but you couldn't just copy it over to the SSD and expect it to run off the SSD. I originally installed it to the HDD though. You can copy files but programs have directories and things that have to be reinstalled if you want them to move drives.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Ok so I would have to reinstall steam and my games, but otherwise other stuff could be easily moved?