Sqeezing performance

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Well, I believe there are a few ways I may be able to squeeze more performance out of my 1.2GHz Athlon. Unfortunately, it's a lemon as it won't go over ~1.37 GHz no matter what cooling I use. So, I figure, if I can't overclock the CPU then I might as well look for the biggest bad boy motherboard and RAM. My conclusion, as I've said many times, an IWill XP333. However, for a while, it was nearly impossible to find DDR333 RAM in Canada. BUT NOW...the KingMax DDR333 5ns RAM is available for only $169! Thanks to LHGPooBaa who posted a RAM review, I know that that RAM can handle up to 217MHz (434MHz DDR) at standard settings and around 180 MHz at the most aggressive settings on the most aggressive settings. Obviously, I WANT TO BE AGGRESSIVE! :tongue: So, let me think....180*7.5=1.35GHz! PERFECT! Hmm, I'll bet that'll raise my 3DMark2001 score by 1000pts. Hehe. When will I do it? Probably in the summer. I want don't want to let my old motherboard go to waste so I'll save up a bit more money and get a new case, PSU, an a Duron and replace my current K6-2 system. It already has a Voodoo4. I have a PCI slot cooler so I'll be able to do some major overclocking of that thing, and make a secondary gaming rig. With a bit of work, that rig can probably handle ~70fps on Q3.

A little question, would a Morgan work on an earlier ABit KT7A? If not, how far do the earlier Durons overclock? I have a GlobalWin WBK38 lying around and a couple of extra case fans so heat won't be a problem.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
i think you can use the morgan on the kt7a...after flashing the bios of course...have you check abit's website for a new bios?
anyways...as for the older duron's overclockablility...i have a friend that runs an old duron 700 at 950mhz...so i think thats a pretty good overclock...btw...i know he's using an abit board....i just dont know which one...

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
yeah man go for it! hit it will everything you got, don't worry it will not fry.
Why would it fry? There's hardly any overclocking going on on the mobo except for the RAM which can handle it. The IWill XP333 can easily handle FSB speeds that high. I know my CPU can handle that speed even with extra voltage. At 180MHz (360MHz DDR), the AGP bus would running at 72 and the PCI bus would be running at 36. Nothing can fry here. There's hardly any real overclocking.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The old Durons overclocked quite well. Well, I guess that depends on your point of view. Most Durons would go to 950 or 1000 mhz but if you had a 900 then 950 isn't much. I have a 600 which I overclocked to 1007 mhz (106 * 9.5) on a KT7 (not KT7A). It served me well for 14 months. Now my nephew has it, clocked slightly lower at 950.

Your WBK38 would be overkill for a Duron Spitfire but it should work great. My cooler only had a 23 CFM fan turning at 5000 RPM. I did need two case fans.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

TRENDING THREADS