Hammer chipset info

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Well, now that all have got a chance to review the good and the bad about hammer. Here comes the REALLY bad news.

As of now, the hammer's multipliers WILL be locked.

** god help us all ***

Source: I hereby swear under oath that tinker-bell is my source. Spider man slipped me some info too :)

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by texas_techie on 03/31/02 02:59 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

FitChick

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2002
ddr2 spec would certainly give it great performance, i was worried they would launch it only supporting ddr 333 or ddr400, which would strangle it a lot.

dont worry about your socks

But the man in the shop said the via C3 was the best processor money can buy!

eden

Champion
Well these infos (disregarding the personal ones!) are quite nice, but also leave a dry throat. It seems AMD is having a little trouble maintaining the promised CPU. I just hope the Hammer gives us what we wanted. However PR3400 is continuing to become less attractive, seeing as the P4 with 533MHZ FSB is nearing 3.4GHZ and the strengh at that clock is quite matcheable to a similar Tbird, so in the end the performance gain may not be so big. This is what most fears me, and I do hope they omit the PR and give us something that would require a P4 4GHZ to match!

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
when you get that FSB number confiremd - drop us a word.

5. I would like to see Jenifer lopez topless
I think we would all agree to that :)

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
err... darn...
I thought that the FSB on the Hammer will be it's clock-speed. sence the term FSB is defind by the speed in which the Processor comunicates with the Chip-Set core logic - and sence the NorthBridge is on the chip it self it must be comunicting with it at the processors clock-speed...
if you see your AMD buddies please ask them about it :)

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled

M_C_Hammer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2002
i have been under the impression that the fsb was 166mhz double pumped (to 333mhz) on the first model, and then it will increase with further processors

I need a 1.5 Ghz Athlon + 512mb ddr ram to write emails......honestly

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
well iib, to be honest... i wasnt quite sure how he did the math. Also remember the Hammer isnt up to speed yet. Meaning the current hammer speed is what the fsb is running at.
I think your right about running at processor speed. But I asked Tinker-bell to break it down in real world performance.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
[joking]
whoo! I might be right about the FSB! im a true analyst
heh if that AMD guy wants to hire - tell AMD im available :)
[/joking]

the A0 steping is working 1.4Ghz as reported?

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by iib on 03/30/02 11:13 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
Why is everybody going on about FSB speed ?? The Hammer is based on Hypertransport so there is no such thing as Mhz rating for the FSB...it is simply measured in bandwidth (MB/S). The Hypertransport link connecting the processor to the AGP graphics tunnel supports up to 6.4GB/s bandwidth while the I/O chipset (southbridge) supports maximum of 800MB/s.

CLAWHAMMER-----[MEMORY]
|
|
| <- (HT link 6.4GB/s)
|
|
AGP CONTROLLER
|
|
| <- (HT link 800MB/s)
|
I/O HUB (southbridge)

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
5. I would like to see Jenifer lopez topless

I have a picture of her flashing her muff getting out of a car, do you want that?

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Well, gobblegook.. true. The speed of the fsb is determined by the cpu. But memory speed/type is crucial in this arrangement. even though your fsb CAN support cpu speeds - it doesnt mean your memory can. But hey, at least that bottleneck is out of the way. Almost zero latency too :)
BTW.. AMD has some incredibly cool stuff up their sleeve to get cmos beyond .09 micron. It was explained to me one of the ways they might go. It would mean they could get their gates around 2 atoms wide... yes two ATOMS wide. Not microns... angstroms. Course this stuff would be 5+ years off.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
what Happens to the idea of multipliers at such a high FSB speed?
can tinker-bell post on the forum ? :)

WOW 2 Atoms wide! - more AMD STOCKS FOR ME!

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by iib on 03/31/02 10:12 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Muff is far from new.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Actually, go rent some cheech and chong movies.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>