What could happen

xJayymassacrex

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
lets say you have a real windows7 cd and you install it with out a coa what happens if it works i know you wouldnt get updates but this is something i wanted to know for a long time i use XP or linux thanks

MichaelSP

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
I believe it still boots into windows but then gives you 30 days or so to activate. If its an OEM CD though (shipped with a dell, asus etc computer) it will detect the code from the disc. If you don't activate, I'm not sure what happens. If you don't have a code though, windows 8 can be bought for $100 as an OEM version which is the same as a home user licence.

If you have windows XP already, you can just upgrade for a cheaper price from retailers like JB Hifi or other tech stores. I think microsoft have some of the higher prices for their products although it may change as they've only just increased their prices recently.

xJayymassacrex

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

well my friend gave me a windows7 pr0 32bit and i really wanted to try it out on my new build that doesnt have a OS so i will have 30 days to buy a product key btw its windows7 pro 32bit sp1 so i could do that cuz that would be amazing lol

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Yeah that should be fine. You might get a bubble pop up saying something like "Reminder to activate your copy of windows" but yes, you should have a while 30 days? to activate and you can use it in the meantime.

I wonder... perhaps you could install that and then every month reinstall the OS. It would be a huge pain and not worth it as a long term strategy in my opinion but I wonder if it would keep working. Seems to me that it would. You would lose all your hard drive data every time you reinstall though, obviously.

xJayymassacrex

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

lol i could see that happening i would so rather spend 50-80 bucks then do that lol thanks and how would that work this is my frist OS install lol noobie :)

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
You do not have to enter in a product key for Windows 7 during installation. By doing this you can actually pick whatever version of Windows 7 you would like to use (Home, Professional, Ultimate), however, you will have exactly 30 days to use Windows 7 before you have to input a valid product key for the version of Windows you used (as in: if you install Ultimate you have to enter in a valid Windows 7 Ultimate product key).

Also, if you have more than 4GB of RAM in your system you will be handicapped by the Windows 7 32bit OS that your "friend" "gave" you. 32bit Windows can only address up to 4GB of RAM, use 64 bit Windows instead.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

Your best bet is to just buy a version of Windows and not put yourself through the hassle of installing Windows twice. You could also install Debian or Fedora 18 (Linux), it's not as easy to use as Windows but it's free and you'll learn a lot more about your computer if you do manage to make it work as an Operating System. Personally, I use Windows because of the work I do but Linux isn't bad, give it a go if you're not afraid of trying something different.

xJayymassacrex

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

Put your windows 7 dvd into your dvd drive. Restart your computer. When your BIOS appears on the screen it should say something like "PRESS F10 to enter boot menu" or something to that nature. Keep jamming that key. Sometimes you miss the window so restart the computer and try again. Once you get into your BIOS, select the boot priority. It will probably be:

1. Hard Disk
2. CD/DVD
3. ETC

You want to boot from your dvd. Move CD/DVD to #1. Read the on screen directions on how to do that, it will probably be done by using the arrow key then the "+" button to move it up to the top slot.

Once that is done, look at the bottom key for directions. It will say "Press (?) to save and quit". Do that. Your computer will restart and it will now boot from the CD/DVD drive and your windows dvd. It will say "Windows is loading files". Then you just follow the instructions, your computer may turn off and on a couple times. It will give you an option if you want to do an upgrade or a custom install. For a fresh install, you will need to do a custom install as upgrade is only if you have an existing copy of windows on your hard drive.

NOTE: when you do this to install windows ALL DATA ON YOUR HARD DRIVE WILL BE ERASED. Windows will then be installed and you'll have a fresh copy on your hard drive. If you have any hard drive files you want to keep, save them on another drive.

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
An avid linux user will answer that better than me but here is an article about the linux distros. I would suggest you use LINUX MINT.

http://www.zdnet.com/the-5-most-popular-linux-distributions-7000003183/

xJayymassacrex

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

thanks i have a new hdd and will it let me buy a key when the 30 days are done and for a 32bit OS will this be oki for my system heres the specs lol phenom ii x4 965BE mobo Msi 760GM-E51 (FX) and 1x4gb kingston hyperx ram with a 500w stealthXstream2 true power

xJayymassacrex

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

is this linux anygood Ubuntu 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal" 64-Bit LIVE/Install OS

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Yes you can purchase a key from Microsoft now, later or anytime. Here is a link to the newegg (very reputable online site) products they offer:

http://www.newegg.com/Operating-Systems/SubCategory/ID-368

The OEM keys are cheaper and they work just fine but they are tied to your hardware, meaning if you get a new computer your key will no longer work (for the new computer).

I would go with a 64 bit system over a 32 bit system if you can because it's faster and it can access more ram (32 bit systems can only use up to ~4GB) plus it's the same price so why not.

EDIT: if you buy a 64 bit key, I don't know/think that would work with your 32 bit download but never fear, simply reinstall your windows copy with the one you bought and use the key you bought and you are good to go. Also, here is a download of the files (but no key is given).

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

xJayymassacrex

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

ur the best can i download theses files on a usb and use them as my 30 day trail thing?

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Yes you can however you need to make sure your USB is a bootable USB drive.

Here is a 10-20 minute guide how to make your USB drive bootable:

http://arstechnica.com/business/2009/12/the-usb-flash-drive/

Edit: That is the right link. I used that Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool myself for this OS install. That is a good tool for Windows only (doesn't work well for linux) and the download for that tool is listed on that page.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

On every Windows 7 disk every feature version is contained on the disk meaning that you can install Windows 7 Home/Pro/Ultimate on your computer. Microsoft did this so that if you bought Win7 Home you could upgrade to ultimate (if you paid for the upgrade key) using the same install disk. However, if you want to install 64bit Windows 7 you will need a 64bit Windows 7 disc; Windows 7 32bit and Windows 7 64bit are two separate discs that contain all feature versions.

Ubuntu 12.10 would be an excellent choice. (A little more info on linux distributions: http://hasben.hubpages.com/hub/Top-5-Linux-Distros-for-beginners )

xJayymassacrex

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

thanks is that all i need to know

xJayymassacrex

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

so linux installs just like windows from the disk if you have a disk i can get one from a friend he has linux the only downfall is gaming but value from steam is trying to get linux to join were there able to share games and what knot is it true linux will be better then windows in the future thanks

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
You would install linux the same way, yes, meaning go to your bios, boot from your flash drive or dvd or whatever you have downloaded linux to. Then just follow the on screen instructions. The windows 7 usb/dvd tool would not work for putting linux onto your flash drive though.

Will linux be better than windows in the future? Better is subjective, will it be a better value? Probably. Can't get much better than free. Will it beat Windows in features, game availability, etc? No, I seriously doubt it. But windows is $100+ so "better" is your opinion if you want to pay for it or not.

xJayymassacrex

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

i ment valve lol from steam the gaming community hes trying to get linux on were ppl that have linux can play like windows users do lol

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

Linux installs just like windows and in some cases you can run Linux off the disc. A good example is the Linux Live CD. You do not need to get Linux from a friend, it's free and can be downloaded directly from the Linux distribution's website. (Download site for Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop )

Gabe Newell is trying to improve game support for Linux and in the future more Valve games will be available for Linux. In the meantime, there is an ultra popular application for Linux called WINE that allows Windows games to be played on Linux. It usually works excellently, but it's not perfect.