Your question

Upgrade P2 400 to P3 600??

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 31, 2002 5:20:10 PM

Greetings,

I have a 5 year old computer that my children use. It's my old one. DFI P2XBL/S with SCSI on mainboard, 100MHz FSB.

I've upgraded the memory to 256MB and it runs fine.

What I'm wondering is whether it would be worth putting an investment in a faster processor. The current PII 400 feels a little slow now that I have a 1.7GHz box myself.

Would the PIII-600 improve things enough to warrant the almost $200 pricetag? Sure, I would add more memory, too. DFI advises the fastest CPU I can put in the Slot 1 MoBo is the 600MHz PIII that has the 512k cache...it is rather expensive!

My gut feeling is to WAIT until that CPU comes down in price. I find it hard to believe that particular CPU is still demanding such a price.

Thanks,

reader

More about : upgrade 400 600

March 31, 2002 6:49:45 PM

I don't think P3 prices are going down any soon, they're pretty much near phased out except the Tualatins. You COULD upgrade and waste that money. BUT, you could also get a relatively even cheaper more performing one, say a Duron 1.1GHZ with an ECS K7S5A, all for like 120$ or so. You can also sell the current RAM or exchange for DDR or if performance isn't really needed go PC133 and save even more. In the end you would have paid less than 200$ and have a system that still can last you quite a lot and won't make you starve for speed like the 1.7GHZ one! (hoping the 1.7GHZ isn't SDRAM equipped)

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 31, 2002 7:30:49 PM

That particular cpu will most likely not go down in price. More likely it will increase in price. The reason for this is that everyone is trying to upgrade older motherboards. This is the fastest cpu that most older motherboards will support. So the supply of these in droping while the demand is increasing. So you must pay a premium.

Now after a visit to the DFI website.

What revision of the motherboard do you have. Revision D and later will support all 100mhz fsb processors. After you update the bios. If you have an earlier revision you can run run any 100mhz fsb socket 370 processor on a slocket with adjustable vcore jumpers. You will have to set the voltage to 1.8 or 1.85 volts. This is not a problem with a good heatsink. and gives you the possibility for overclocking.

I aint signing nothing!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Rick_Criswell on 03/31/02 03:56 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
a b à CPUs
March 31, 2002 8:45:53 PM

For the price of those older high speed PII's/early PIII's, you can buy a Powerleap iP3/t adapter with a Celeron Tualatin 1200, the kit cost $169 from Powerleap, but I'll sell you you one for $150. I'm selling a new unit because it wouldn't overclock for me. It runs at 1200 just fine.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
March 31, 2002 9:05:11 PM

I have a PII-400 and you're much better off upgrading with the powerleap adapter and the tualatin 1200. The performance is much better and it is cheaper if not the same price. Just go to their website or take Crashman up on his offer. He's well respected.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
March 31, 2002 9:30:52 PM

While on this note of PIIIs, I was wondering the upgradablity of my PIII. I have a PIII600E that I got from Dell about 2 years ago and I have no clue what so ever about the motherboard. This stuff that I've read about the Slot1 and all that stuff is confusing me. So I was wondering if any of you would know what kind of m/b I have and what kind of slot it has for the CPU. If you need any more details about it just ask.
March 31, 2002 9:46:45 PM

Or you can get an ECS K7S5A and a 1.2GHz Duron for less than that.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
March 31, 2002 9:49:49 PM

What I said from the beginning except I was cheap and recommended a 1.1GHZ!

--
March 31, 2002 9:50:52 PM

Yup, about $5US cheaper, hehe.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
March 31, 2002 9:53:03 PM

Slot 1 is the cartridge format. Yeah it is confusing!
However you probably have a generic no name mobo, it's from Dell! Don't bother upgrading, these OEM machines are made so no one can tweak them, little case space, no expansion. Just buy or build from scratch, it's better. Current AMD systems are at their all-time low price, while Intel's hover around, depending if you want to overclock and save 800$ or if you're ready to shell out 1000$ CDN for the best out there!

--
a b à CPUs
March 31, 2002 10:32:26 PM

Why do people keep suggesting complete motherboard and cpu upgrades to people who do not have the knowledge and experience to do just that.

To do this you would have to fdisk and format the drive.Buy a new case. His old case is proprietary so the front panel connectors will not work without rewiring completely. Then swap all of his periferals over. Then Install a new operating system that he would have to buy.
I cant see it being cheaper unless you already own a copy of the operating system.

On top of all that you then have to reload all of your programs. Alot of which came with the OEM box and will not load if you do not know how to make them.So if you add in the cost of buying new programs,we could get into the thousands of dollars.

When all he wanted is a little faster cpu.

I aint signing nothing!!!
March 31, 2002 10:34:42 PM

Ahh, those stupid OEMs! What happened to the days when they actually gave you a copy of the OS rather than a "recovery CD". In any case, with a new case, $30, the total would still be about $150US.

a b à CPUs
March 31, 2002 10:43:34 PM

Dell used Genuine Intel motherboards. Intel manufactured Dell's motherboards for use with Dell's proprietary power supply, other than that, there is no difference. In fact, if you look at an Intel retail motherboard, it usually has solder points for Dells power connector.

So, if it's a BX board, I suggest a PIII 850E. If it's an i815 chipset board, I recommend the PIII 1000EB. If it's an i810 motherboard, it's a throw away, start from scratch.

a b à CPUs
March 31, 2002 10:44:27 PM

Not worth the time or effort for most users.

a b à CPUs
March 31, 2002 10:45:10 PM

Finally a man of reason!

a b à CPUs
March 31, 2002 10:56:58 PM

Thank you !!! I try to tell people the answer to their question and sometimes make other suggestions based on experience. The above person did not know the difference processor formats. So I doubt he would have the knowledge to build from scratch. Then force the install of his OEM software.

I aint signing nothing!!!
a b à CPUs
April 1, 2002 12:28:26 AM

I've been saying that for months now!

April 1, 2002 12:29:47 AM

Hey any tips on finding out? Like are there any 'landmarks' I sould look for (some little sticker that says it or something? or do I just have to know.....)
April 1, 2002 1:04:51 AM

Find the Dell service code (a sticker somewhere on the case).

- JW
April 1, 2002 1:51:04 AM

Hey thanks a lot. I went into the support place and got all the info I needed. The not so lucky part is that my PIII is some weird processor card. 242pin processor enclosed in a seeled card thing. Really weird. Oh well I guess I won't be upgrading the CPU on this thing!
April 1, 2002 2:20:34 AM

Your processor is in a SECC2 (slot 1) package. Believe it or not, you have more upgrade options then if it was in an FC-PGA (socket 370) package.

My main desktop uses that very same SECC2 package - I have PIII-800Es in mine.

You can get slot1 -> FC-PGA converters that will let you run newer processors.

What kind of Dell is it? Dimension? Optiplex? ####? I could suggest upgrades if you told me the service code.

- JW
a b à CPUs
April 1, 2002 6:29:23 AM

Your running a Slot 1 processor. You can install another Slot 1 processor (available in ALL speeds if you look hard enough), or mount a Socket 370 processor on a converter card called a "Slotket", aka FC-PGA to Slot One converter, etc. The coverter gives you more options, the Socket processor is much cheaper, and the converter only cost $10.

So now, you REALLY want to find out what the chipset is, so you can find out what bus speeds you support. My guess is that since it's Slot 1 it's probably a BX chipset board. You can find out which it is by going into device manager/system properties and clicking on the "system devices" icon. You will see something refering to the chipset, most likely "Intel 82443BX Pentium[r] II Processor to AGP controller" That would be the BX. If you see 815, your in good order for a 133MHz bus processor, which is faster, such as the 1000EB. But if you have the BX, you can still use an 850, or more expensive (rare) 900, or the special 100MHz bus version of the 1000 called the 1000E (extremely rare and expensive).

For your money you're best off with the 850 if you have the BX chipset. As for the i815, you'd be best off with the 1000EB. And if you have the i810, your best off swallowing hard and replacing the board.

April 1, 2002 1:11:37 PM

Well to answer both of you, I have a Dimension XPS T600r. My service code(tag) is 2USQP. And it says my chipset is a Intel 440BX AGP. It has a 100MHz bus, so I was thinking that kinda puts me into a corner... From 600 to 850, there really wouldn't be much of a performance gain would there? Like 10%-20% gain. Would it really be worth the money? I can settle with it, cause I mainly play high 3D games on my P4.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 1, 2002 5:36:56 PM

I just had the same problem...my pII 400 died so i was stuck with a hard choice of what to get. I checked out different prices and saw that a p4 1.6 would be about $100 to maybe $150 more then a p3...so i went with a p4. I just ordered a p4 1.6A (512k) and an intel motherboard I850 with 256mbPC800 ram, for around $350 but if you just care about a simple upgrade and memory type and overclocking doesnt matter then you can get a real cheap one...You might want to consider just shoping around...I saw preety cheap combos (motherboard's and cpu's) for cheap prices at pricewatch.com ($250 and less) Check it out
April 1, 2002 6:27:06 PM

Well you're in luck, my friend has the E 1GHZ...
I can't beleive the dude still buys PC133 and the DRAM sets at 100MHZ, he's losing money for something not supported by default... If only he had listenened to me and got a Tbird 1GHZ...

EDIT: ok wait I just remember PC100 is now more expensive, heheh...well he's still paying for a loss of performance anyway.
--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 04/01/02 02:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
a b à CPUs
April 1, 2002 11:20:23 PM

Dell actually sold some 1100E processor systems! That must have been a special "Dell Only" version, as 1100 Coppermines in the retail sector are all Celerons.

April 2, 2002 12:37:03 AM

Wouldn't it be easiest and cheapest (free!) to set the FSB to 133MHz? I did that on my Asus P2B, PII-350 and now run happily at 466MHz.
April 2, 2002 12:46:01 AM

Yeah that's what I was thinking too right, and I posted it on the ocing forum asking how to and they asked me what motherboard and I have no clue, cause it's from Dell and they said I can't get the 440BX chipset up to 133 only 100.(Unless I'm reading them wrong)
April 2, 2002 4:11:08 AM

Dell boards don't easily overclock - you'd have to use SoftFSB or something similar. The best bet for you would be one of the PowerLeap Celeron-1200 combos if you really feel the need to upgrade that machine.

- JW

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by JCLW on 04/02/02 00:15 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2002 2:41:34 PM

Be carefull if you upgrade beyond a 600mhz. If your motherboard does not support voltages below 1.8v it will not recognize coppermine cored pIII processors. You will need a slotket with a MANUAL voltage setting to support Coppermines. My P2B is an early revision and does not support coppermine voltages for example.

May Fortune Favor The Foolish
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2002 3:06:57 PM

You can also make the same adjustments on standard slotkets by using jumper wires, as described in <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam..." target="_new">THIS THREAD</A>, those boards need a minimum voltage of 1.80v or 1.85v, accomplished by the same method as described.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2002 3:53:25 PM

Thanks for the info. I might ever upgrade now.

May Fortune Favor The Foolish
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2002 4:22:30 PM

A PIII 1000EB would be your best performance solution, not that expensive any longer either, as long as you have PC133 SDRAM. A good 100MHz FSB solution is the 850, but I think it's overpriced, given its performance in comparison to the 1000EB.

!