What do you think of Prescott?

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Here's a site with some specs:

http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.html?i=15766&t=an

Well I dunno about you guys, but I'm pretty excited. If these specs are true this thing could pretty much outdo anything for the desktop. Plus Intel's manufacturing process will allow them to cram more cache and therefore hopefully increasing speed. This thing will probably be pretty small (unless they decide to double the cache, seems kinda unlikely) and therefore prices should be ok. Please post what you think about the Prescott.

By the way, I'm not an Intel troll, I merely favor their chips cause I have three of them and they've never let me down, yet.....

eden

Champion
Well hey you certainly don't favor Intel, you've had some nice comments on AMD, and that's the best way to be respected here, have good things for each side.

Prescott sounds very promising. All the things that the P4 initially lost, will be recovered or at least I heard, and that alone could put it higher than Hammer. As well as the newly researched cache(forgot the article) and better heat and power dissipation, you've got a hell overclocker there. Well I suspect the OCing would be less given all the new components added, therefore a very higher IPC. But the 800MHZ FSB sounds nice too, now that the efficiency is better, like the Athlon's bus. The idea of 32-bit Dual Channel RDRAM will also contribute to even higher performance so this means Prescott will be a very dangerous contestant, even more than Hammer. All in all, AMD has also a lot to give with Hammer, and I do hope it lives up to our expectations, and gives Intel a run for their money. Prescott may even have a higher IPC than the Hammer, and SSE2 will finally work better because of the FPU and ALU configurations improvements, so that will force AMD to even up the ante, and do like before, release killer CPUs like the Athlon when it first came out! All in all, it sounds a promising year, and competition will definitly be the best thing.

Perhaps the biggest downside here, is that if I know Intel, the Prescott's price will not be so user-friendly... :frown:

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

FitChick

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2002
kind of interesting, but its pretty far off, also, imagine how much intel will charge for it, i hope AMD will come up with something to challenge it

But the man in the shop said the via C3 was the best processor money can buy!

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Well hey you certainly don't favor Intel, you've had some nice comments on AMD, and that's the best way to be respected here, have good things for each side.
<sarcasm>
Yeah because we all know people who favour intel don't deserve any respect! </sarcasm>

<i>My life wasn't complete untill I tried sse-2 optimized pong</i>

eden

Champion
Well not really, but a person who constantly bashes one company and pays royalty to the other is pretty much a troll. One that can occasionally give good pointers on the rival company is a person I respect. Unless you were talking about something else?

--

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Hey Intel_Inside, I'm not here to make enemies. I used to be like you. I used to say that AMD sucked crap and how bad they were and everything. That's the same with ATi and Nvidia, but I've realized since that the reasons for my thinking was that I was afraid that my favored company was gonna get bashed in by some small company. But since then I've opened my eyes to the world and I now see what AMD/ATi have to offer as well as what Nvidia/Intel offer. So now instead of constantly being unmovable on my opinions, I listen to others and especially in the case of technology, I find that the most obvious choice may not be the best. So just a pointer for you, as I was a somewhat Intel troll before, I hope that you can learn to accept other peoples opinions and I'm not saying that Intel is bad or anything, it's just that you don't have to think that Intel is the only commpany out there worthy of praise.

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
pardon my ignorance here, but what is Prescott?

is it a Intel next gen core like that's probably going to be labelled Pentium 5?

or is a server processor?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The Pentium name is getting old. I think a new name would make Intel's marketing more interesting. :wink:

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

lpenix

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2001
yes i totaly agree, i used to be a hardcore pentium guy,but i recently built my first athlonXP machine ( with u guys help). i love the xp processor. I would also in the future like to build a pentium machine. Both processors are excellent, one does things better than the other, and in my opinion as long as intel, and AMD are batteling, it makes it all the more better for us. I read this forum everyday, and i must say u guys keep me laughing my ass off. Keep up the good work. Please excuse my spelling,,,lol

I only LIE because you cant handle the truth.

rraquib

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2001
I will even purchase a C3 if it would encode DVD quality MPG2 in real time (out of frustration on a P4 2.0GHz NW taking 4 hours to encode an hour footage + antything screws up another 4 hours). Does any of this companies listen to the customers?

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Presscott will be release after the hammer in so the spec can change any time anyway the only real info we got is for the L2 tech very advance low cost fastest,intel have allwayse been very good in cache desing little less in FPU.

cheap, cheap. Think cheap, and you'll always be cheap.AMD version of semi conducteur industrie

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
yes when you just say Pentium by itself it does kind of remind me of seeing my friends Pentium 60Mhz and being wowed by the fact he could run Doom! So perhaps a name change is in order.

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
Yes Prescott will definetely a chip I will look forward to, however I dont think I'll be afford it. Prescott will definetley give AMD something to think about.

Perhaps AMD my release a Clawhammer with DDR400/DDR2 suppport to compete with Prescott. All in all 2003 is going to be yet another interesting year.

The Jerry Sanders interview published 2 or 3 weeks ago Jerry said they have started working on the K9....any thoughts on the K9 ?

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>

Kemche

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2001
I know it's getting old but I don't think the marketing would change it. They spent tons of money to establish the Pentium brand. and they wouldn't give it up. No one would. Would you like Coke to be named something else. No, because when you say Coke everyone knows what you are talking about. Just like when you say Pentium everyone knows what's it about. If they re-name it then they would have to start marketing the new name and spending money on it to promote it. But Pentium is already well established so I think they will name is Pentium 5.

KG

<b>"Hey! It compiles! Ship it!"</b>

eden

Champion
Yes but the P4 lost that tradition, Intel claiming they need to let go of old times and use real numbers: 4!

--

TRENDING THREADS