At risk of a meltdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 9949

Hi,

After reading <A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q3/010917/heatvideo-05.html" target="_new">Hot Spot - How Modern Processors Cope With Heat Emergencies</A> I would like to find out if my processor is at risk of a melt down if the heat sink were to fall off or fail.

I'm using an ECS K7S5A motherboard with an Athlon XP 1600 processor, the feature list says that the motherboard has Hardware Component Monitoring. Temperatures, fan info, and voltage data are all shown in the BIOS.

So, if the heatsink fell off or failed would the processor cut out before a melt down?

Thanks.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Sigh::

How is a HSF going to fall off???

Download motherboard monitor and set it to shutdown if your CPU gets too hot. My system runs between 37C and 44C so I set it to shutdown if I reach 50C. That's more than enough time for it to shut the PC off in case of a fan failure. Besides that, just make sure you keep your fans free of too much dust.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

D

Deleted member 9949

Hi,

I'm just thinking mainly in terms if the fan were to fail due to dust etc. The reason I included a HSF falling off is because people have quoted that the clips that hold the HFS are not strong enough.

Your post brings me to my next point about the temperatures, what kind of processor are you running? And what temperatures should my system and CPU be running at idle and at load? And what is the room temperature when these measurment are taken?

Thanks.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
you shouldnt listen to those people that say the clips arent strong enough. if you need the clips to be strong enough to transport your computer in the back of your pickup truck while 4 wheeling, you deserve what you get.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

dhlucke

Polypheme
The temperature is going to depend on your case, 80 mm fans, weather, CPU, and HSF. Basically, keep it under 55C. This is easy.

I have a Antec SX1040 with a Thermaltake 6Cu HSF and a 1 Ghz T-bird. I have no problem keeping my system cool. Don't worry about the clip breaking. Just buy a good HSF.

<A HREF="http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp.htm" target="_new">Here are tons of reviews.</A>

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

D

Deleted member 9949

Hi,

If the fan failed/clogged would my processor/motherboard shutdown to protect itself? Or do I need to use a 3rd party tool as suggested earier to protect my system? I know it may not happen but I know that dust does tend to build up in my system.

Thanks.

dhlucke

Polypheme
As I understand this, it depends on if your motherboard supports it. The <A HREF="http://usa.asus.com/mb/socketa/a7v333/overview.htm" target="_new">ASUS A7V333</A> for example will shutdown.

D

Deleted member 9949

Hi,

This is what I was trying to find out.

The <A HREF="http://www.ecs.com.tw/products/k7s5a.htm" target="_new">product information</A> says it features "System Hardware Monitor: Built-in ITE8705".

Is that the same kind of thing?

Thanks.

dhlucke

Polypheme
I have that motherboard and I don't think so. I think that is just the monitor setting that you use for software monitoring. I use that setting in motherboard monitor.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hay then it would be smart for you to cheak your mother board once in a while. Even for a Intel chip. Motherboards are not going to clean them selfs Out.
With my computer it stays around 48c to 60c. Depending on what type of day or type of work. If I see it going over 60c I look in the case for dust might be the problem.

Easy way to clean it is a air compresser with air filter. The air filter that takes water of the aircompresser.

D

Deleted member 9949

This is the URL for the Motherboard Monitor your using?

http://www.hatman.com/mbm/

Thanks.

dhlucke

Polypheme
<A HREF="http://mbm.livewiredev.com/" target="_new">Motherboard Monitor</A>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
If the fan failed/clogged would my processor/motherboard shutdown to protect itself? Or do I need to use a 3rd party tool as suggested earier to protect my system? I know it may not happen but I know that dust does tend to build up in my system.

Download motherboard monitor, tell it to shut down a few degrees hotter than you compy ever gets, but not too much, if the fan fails the comp will shut down and you will have no damage, this works with any motherboard which can monitor temps.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
After reading Hot Spot - How Modern Processors Cope With Heat Emergencies I would like to find out if my processor is at risk of a melt down if the heat sink were to fall off or fail.
the AMD AXP will fry if the fan fails and you are not there to save it, the AXP will fry in a catastrophic event like in the thg video.

software monitoring is useless if your os freezes up due to heat.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
I formally request that the Honorary be removed from Meltdown’s title as it is a bit of an oxymoron. Then again I’m probably just jealous, as I don’t post such utter dribble and my post count reflects this.

All errors are undocumented features waiting to be discovered.

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
the AMD AXP will fry if the fan fails and you are not there to save it, the AXP will fry in a catastrophic event like in the thg video.

umm, no. if the fan fails, the cpu isn't going to rise drastically in temp with a heatsink on there and if the temp shutoff is set, there will be ample time before a lockup for the system to shutdown.

-proving meltdown wrong one step at a time (for his sake).

I run duals because i multitask between notepad, outlook express and winamp :lol:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001

If you are too stupid to not set your thermal shutoff temp lower than your lockup temp, you deserve to fry your processor.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I formally request that the Honorary be removed from Meltdown’s title as it is a bit of an oxymoron.
um, what would this accomplish? I will continue informing ppl about the AMD.cpus. btw, I don't even notice my titles only you did.

there's no honor in trying to censor the truth or silence others just because their stated views and opinions don't agree with yours.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AmdMELTDOWN on 04/01/02 01:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
There is no censoring of the truth. You distort and mold the truth to fit your bias and then post here.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
I never asked to censor you. My post was only to discredit your statement. You may post what you like, but you will never gain the respect of others. Live and let lie.

All errors are undocumented features waiting to be discovered.

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
I fried my 1.33 T-Bird when the fan failed. I set the shutoff temp at 70deg. It didn't make it. It was my fault, the fan didn't fail it got knocked loose from it's power source (Again my fault I was experimenting with a different fan and I didn't have it fully plugged in). While it was definately user error the processor did "Immoliate" :smile:

Anything goes when it comes to hoes cuz pimpin aint easy.

dhlucke

Polypheme
I bet you set your shutoff temp to something useful now though. Right?

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I fried my 1.33 T-Bird when the fan failed. I set the shutoff temp at 70deg. It didn't make it. It was my fault, the fan didn't fail it got knocked loose from it's power source (Again my fault I was experimenting with a different fan and I didn't have it fully plugged in). While it was definately user error the processor did "Immoliate"

Not to rub it in petty, but that was your fault, the trick to motherboard monitoring software is to set the shutoff temprature ABOVE THE TOP of what you usually run. BUT BELOW THE LOCK UP TEMP.

The best way to do this is to run toast, and write down your top top temp, then add 3C to this, NO MORE.

A shutofftemp should be around 60C in my experience, this is hot enough to be a problem but not hot enough to lockup, and if your compy shuts down but your using it an everything is fine, add 1 C, untill you no longer emergency shut down, this is how you set it up.

Just picking a random High number is a good way to fry your processor, because that high number may be above lockup threshold, and a locked up mbm does not protect your cpu in a fan failure.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just picking a random High number is a good way to fry your processor, because that high number may be above lockup threshold, and a locked up mbm does not protect your cpu in a fan failure.
yep, took the words right out of my mouth, :smile: this quote is a keeper!

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

Status
Not open for further replies.