jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
whats the deal with amd not including thermal protection already? they have caught a lot of flack for not having it, you would think they would get on it. is this planned in the tbred?

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Flame bait for monday?

There is thermal protection. You need a motherboard that supports it.

Motherboard monitor also works wonders.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
flame bait huh, no. i know about the motherboard protection, but im talking about the throttling that the pentiums do.

dhlucke

Polypheme
I feel like I'm repeating myself a bit, but the <A HREF="http://usa.asus.com/mb/socketa/a7v333/overview.htm" target="_new">ASUS A7V333</A> will shutdown if the temps get too high.

Throttling is the Pentium 4's thing. If that's what you really want then the Pentium 4 is just for you.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dhlucke on 03/31/02 10:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
do pentium boards do the same? i only have expirience with 1 new generation pentium board and its pretty dry in the features department.

dhlucke

Polypheme
I'm pretty sure the Pentium 4's have the throttling built into the chip itself. I believe future AMD chips will be doing that as well. I think this gets more hype than it deserves, but it can't hurt to have that feature.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

blue_heart

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
the ASUS A7V333 will shutdown if the temps get too high.
<A HREF="http://www.motherboards.org/articlesd/motherboard-reviews/1135_2.html" target="_new"> Soltek SL-75DRV5</A> protects your cpu too

wish if there was UnDo in the life

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Why would you want a chip that constantly throttles? If a 2 ghz chip constantly throttles down to, say, 1ghz...WHY pay for a 2ghz chip!!?? You're getting a 1Ghz chip to all intents and purposes.

And does the system even TELL you it's throttled down to 1ghz or whatever sped? This is why I would never buy a P4 based notebook. Notebooks don't have the cooling abilities of desktops, so I would suspect a notebook would constantly throttle down.

I would much prefer a system that shutdown. I'd know there was aproblem and would get it fixed!

Mark-

<font color=blue>When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!</font color=blue>

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Why would you want a chip that constantly throttles? If a 2 ghz chip constantly throttles down to, say, 1ghz...WHY pay for a 2ghz chip!!?? You're getting a 1Ghz chip to all intents and purposes....
I would much prefer a system that shutdown. I'd know there was aproblem and would get it fixed!
at least when the P4 throttles down...you can still use it...unlike the AXP...which shuts itself down entirely...
but i understand you're point...
And does the system even TELL you it's throttled down to 1ghz or whatever sped?
i would have to agree, there should be some software that intel should include w/ the P4 cpu to let the user know if the cpu is slowing itself down...
This is why I would never buy a P4 based notebook. Notebooks don't have the cooling abilities of desktops, so I would suspect a notebook would constantly throttle down.
is that the main reason?
i would have guessed that you wouldnt buy a P4 notebook because its not cost effective...in other words...its just plain slow...

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
is that the main reason?
i would have guessed that you wouldnt buy a P4 notebook because its not cost effective...in other words...its just plain slow...

There's that too. BUT at least the notebook manufacturers actually couple the P4 with DDR Ram! They only give the Athlon notebooks SDRam! This really hurts Athlon performance...cut it down by around 10% from what it should have been. So, P3 Tualatins actually performed as well and sometimes even better than Athlon 4 when Athlon should have outperformed P3 if it had been coupled with reasonably good DDR Ram.

Mark-

Mark-

<font color=blue>When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!</font color=blue>

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
They only give the Athlon notebooks SDRam!
good question...i wonder why they dont put ddr ram w/ athlon 4...

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
My question also. DDR mobile Athlon chipsets have been available for some time from several makers.

Mark-

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Why would you want a chip that constantly throttles? If a 2 ghz chip constantly throttles down to, say, 1ghz...WHY pay for a 2ghz chip!!?? You're getting a 1Ghz chip to all intents and purposes.
the P4 does not "constantly throttles down" this is misconception and/or misinformation on your part.

you obviously do not care about the data that's in memory at the time, it's understandable if you have a game running but consider the fact that not only your data is gone but some harddisks can't even park themselves correctly and lose even more data when your sys shuts down abruptly.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
it is my understanding that the p4 only throttles down when the temp gets too high, if it is acceptable limits it stays at advertised speed. i know thats not the case with the laptop pentiums, i like the laptop throttling a lot. i use a laptop for work, the battery does seem to last substantialy longer than previous models. of course that could be because of new battery technology, maybe different chip architecture.

eden

Champion
Oh yeah?
Then what if it shuts down when you use an NTFS filesystem like WinXP or Win2000? See, it won't matter anymore, data is always there.
Do think before talking Melty...

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The file system won't be corrupted but you'll still lose the data in memory if you don't save it.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
It takes the Motherboard makers to integrate the standard into their motherboards before any thermal protection will truely work. I'd expect it to finaly be ready for the hammer, and MB makers won't have much of an issue since they have to completely redesign their MBs anyway.

Trollin' trollin' trollin', keep them doggies postin', my fingers are swollen, Rawhide!

eden

Champion
Yes indeed, but that's why we should always have a properly cooled system, as well as set a warning temp, so you know if something is overheating and before it shuts, you can quickly click the "Save" button and wait for the impact.

--

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Melty actualy has a valid point though (Scary as that may be). Especialy for a server, which is where there are often heat problems beyond the realms of normal cooling, as most server rooms need their own AC to keep everything happy and cool. With the P4, the computer will slow down, and can function while it sends warnings to any admins, while any other CPU will simply shut down (if that), leaving admins little time to actualy get to the CPU in the first place.

As for warnings about throttling, there is probably software that can warn you when your CPU is reaching a throtling threashhold.

Trollin' trollin' trollin', keep them doggies postin', my fingers are swollen, Rawhide!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Hmm, wouldn't it be cool if you had a hardware monitor that would automatically upload the "vital signs" of your computer to a your wireless PDA through the Internet anywhere in the world? Now that's trekkie! You'd be able to know exactly what the temperature of your computer is wherever you are. You'd also be able to monitor your memory usage, open apps, crashes.

Hmm, an implanted chip in the human body would also be able to monitor your vital signs. An external scanner would then be able tell you your blood pressure, heart beats/minute, among other things instantaneously. Ohh! Me want an implant!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
The throttling is built into the chip, but there are some motherboard specs needed to support it that are required to be implemented.

Technicaly, AMD's thermal protection is required, but there are too many older designs that were grandfathered in.

Kemche

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2001
Good Idea to have a properly cooled system. But Why do we need to worry about it's going to overheat and turn it self off. We should never have to worry about that. What if you were typing your biography in a word editor (notepad) and then you had to go somewhere and you forgot to save. Then your cats started fighting near your computer and one cat threw the other on the computer case. The fan fell off. The MB detected that CPU was getting hot and shuts off the computer. There goes your data. Good thing you had the utility running which detected that you were nearing the warning temp.

All I am trying to say is in theory everything looks good. But you got to understand that an average user is as dumb as P4's IPC and AMD's PR Rating. They wouldn't know what's the proper way to cool a PC and how Hot the CPU has to be before saving all it's work.

Take care...
KG

<b>"Hey! It compiles! Ship it!"</b>

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
He's talking about unsaved data, like an Excel spreadsheet you haven't saved yet and suddenly the computer shuts off and you have to redo the work. The file system makes no difference in this case.

What you're talking about is file system corruption caused by the computer being shut off while the hard disk is in the process of writing. Indeed, NTFS has more protection against this than FAT32.

Ritesh

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
if you have to worry about your servers overheating you are not doing somthing right. our server room ac has died over the weekend before, all the servers kept running. granted they were idle, but it did get to about 110 degrees inside.

eden

Champion
Yeah, I mean seriously when some CPU burns out, there must be a reason behind it, and again it's user error almost 99.9% of the time. So why is thermal protection so needed, if you're the responsible? The Hammer will use the P4's retention mechanism but more enhanced, as well as IHS, I don't think we can worry about Heatsinks falling off. As for fan failure, please teach me how in the world a well plugged fan can fail, if you always keep the case clean of dust?

All in all, it's mostly the wussies that need thermal protection because they can't handle building a comp or like Melty, fear the worst all the time. Yeah it's a plus when you got it, but in this forum, experts like you and the rest who build PCs do not have this worry on the top of their list while building a comp. If they do, well they shouldn't be building comps in the first place, the stress would be too much and they'll flunk one component at some point.

--