Recover old Data after Format??

hom

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
hello sir namaste
can you give me idea to recover my old data after format and reformat of my hd?

philipdk

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013
hi
i had the same problem and i got my files back after a format, with special soft ware you can get data back after 7 formats, well so i have read
when it happened to me i used recuva and diskdigger

sirpuma

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013

Incorrect. GetDataBack by Runtime Software is an excellent tool for recovering data from formatted or damaged hard drives for FAT32 and NTFS. I'm actually using the NTFS version right now on a Win7 hard drive that was formatted and rebuilt to recover data that wasn't backed up. I'll know in a few hours whether or not it will work with Win7. I have successfully recovered data from hard drives that have been formatted through Windows, low level formatted with programs such as Kill Disk or PD Wipe and hard drives with so many cluster errors that Windows can't access the files. I'll also be testing out some other software.

xBr0k3n

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014
Not sure why people are so unfamiliar with recovering data, or giving such bad advice. If you format the entire drive, quick or full, you do have a high chance of recovering the data.

I normally take a bit-by-bit copy of the entire surface of the drive using DDRescue - this is in a lot of linux distro's however i use PartedMagic, which you can get for free. DDRescue is widely known about so understanding how to use it only requires a quick google and the tiniest bit of PC knowledge. Once you have an image that contains the entire surface of the disk you can then use GetDataBack, as mentioned by sirpuma (Ive only ever used this and have never been disappointed), to run recovery on the image file, rather than on the hard drive itself - this is particularly useful on failing drives.

I would say 9/10 times this has got me the data back. We even have machines that are rebuilt over the network, no backup is taken, then even after a full clean of the partition tables, makings new partitions, copying over wim files, and then finally, installing windows all udpates/core apps - the data can be recovered with a very low corruption rate.

Sorry to post in an old-ish thread.

aeonstar2014

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014