Dimension 8300 "thermal event"

Hi all,

Our just over one year old Dimension 8300 sometimes boots up with a message
like "previous shutdown due to thermal event".

Apart from this, the system seems to be working correctly.

When I check the system event log in the system BIOS, it has some events way
back in January, but nothing recent. The system clock is set to the correct
date and time. The mainboard of this system was replaced last May, due to a
malfunctioning onboard sound chip. Since this one has events of last
January, I'm guessing this board was not brand new.

The event "CPU0 fan out of range" shows up a few times. When I check, the
fan is running. It might be running too slow, but how can I check? It
doesn't seem to be a test option in Dell diagnostics.

And, since the warranty has expired, does anyone know if it is possible to
replace the CPU fan with a non-Dell one?

Thanks,

Dennis

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Try clearing the logs in the BIOS 1st before you replace any fans

"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Try clearing the logs in the BIOS 1st before you replace any fans

Agreed. The old events (which may have been created by the vendor), just
need to be cleared and 'marked as read'.

See if that stops the messages.

The "thermal event" message refers specifically to a CPU heat-related
shutdown, and the fan message is self-explanatory. Even if the fan is
running I have seen some fans that could not be detected by BIOS but were
cured with replacement.

Clear the event logs.

Stew

S.Lewis wrote:
> "Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>Try clearing the logs in the BIOS 1st before you replace any fans
>

> Agreed. The old events (which may have been created by the vendor), just
> need to be cleared and 'marked as read'.
>
> See if that stops the messages.
>
> The "thermal event" message refers specifically to a CPU heat-related
> shutdown, and the fan message is self-explanatory. Even if the fan is
> running I have seen some fans that could not be detected by BIOS but were
> cured with replacement.
>
> Clear the event logs.

The "fan out of range" message could also mean that the
threshold for minimum acceptable fan speed may be set
too high. If the temperature is OK, then lower re-set
the fan detection threshold speed to a lower RPM.

"Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message

> S.Lewis wrote:
>> "Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>>Try clearing the logs in the BIOS 1st before you replace any fans
>>

>> Agreed. The old events (which may have been created by the vendor), just
>> need to be cleared and 'marked as read'.
>>
>> See if that stops the messages.
>>
>> The "thermal event" message refers specifically to a CPU heat-related
>> shutdown, and the fan message is self-explanatory. Even if the fan is
>> running I have seen some fans that could not be detected by BIOS but were
>> cured with replacement.
>>
>> Clear the event logs.
>>

> The "fan out of range" message could also mean that the
> threshold for minimum acceptable fan speed may be set
> too high. If the temperature is OK, then lower re-set
> the fan detection threshold speed to a lower RPM.

I stand corrected. The fan could be running (or not) outside of the
prescribed RPMs. But - there is no BIOS or other mechanism (so far as I
know) to manipulate that speed. It either works or it doesn't.

As someone else has posted, the fan could be dead outright, or a cable
(either the fan cable or the P2 power supply connector) could be entangled
in the fan blades.

And it's true that the fan activity (or lack thereof) could be the cause of
the "thermal event/shutdown" message.

Investigate the fan immediately. BTW, the "thermal event" and shutdown
should cause no immediate damage to either your CPU or mb.

Stew

"Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> schreef in bericht

> The "fan out of range" message could also mean that the
> threshold for minimum acceptable fan speed may be set
> too high. If the temperature is OK, then lower re-set
> the fan detection threshold speed to a lower RPM.

That might be possible, but how do I set the fan speed? It's not an option
in the system's BIOS.
I'm not afraid to open the case so if it's in there, I can probably do it if
you can tell me where to find the speed regulator.

Thanks,

Dennis