CPU usage at 85%...

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
When my system (TBird 1333) is just sitting there doing nothing, CPU usage is at 85%. This is confirmed using 2 different CPU usage monitors. The only things running in the system tray are Explorer, Systray, and Rnaapp. If I go to my other computer with a Duron 700, CPU usage is at about 2% when its just sitting there. Anyone have any ideas?

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Both are Windows 98 SE. I do have internet connection sharing enabled, but I know that's not it because when I was using the other system as the server and a different computer as a client, CPU usage would only be at like 2%...

well then obviously there is something running in the background that windows won't tell you.

I know there are programs that will list everything that windows starts up that you can't see.

The latest version of regclean will list everything in that starts up and you can simply remove what you don't want started up automaticly upon boot up.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The System Monitor in Windows 9x/ME isn't always accurate.

I've heard that the underlying cause of the problem may be the implementation of ACPI with some motherboard chipsets but Microsoft has some other things to say about the problem (see end).

Does your modem happen to be a "Winmodem"? These depend on the CPU far more than true hardware modems. It should not account for 85% CPU utilization but it may be a factor with problems that Microsoft describe.

Here's what Microsoft has to say about the issue (<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q227131" target="_new">link</A>).

<i><b>System Monitor Displays Incorrect CPU Usage (Q227131)</b>

The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
Microsoft Windows 98

<b>SYMPTOMS</b>

Your System Monitor tool may display incorrect CPU Usage. When this occurs, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:

CPU usage rises to somewhere between 20-60 percent even though you are not running any programs.

CPU usage declines sharply when you move your mouse.

CPU usage declines sharply either when you run Windows Media Player or play a .wav file.

CPU usage rises when you dial-up to connect.

CPU usage does not fall from 100 percent.

<b>RESOLUTION</b>

To work around this problem, note that you can safely ignore this problem. The value that is displayed on the chart when you move the mouse has no effect on the functionality of Windows 98 Second Edition.

<b>STATUS</b>

Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article. </i>

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 04/02/02 02:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think that it is just incorrectly displaying usage. When I move the mouse, it does seem to go down, and if I try running another program, it also goes down. Now, though, it is showing only about 3% usage with an occasional spike to 15%. Alls good, thanks!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i would terminate the things in your system tray... starting with that rnaapp.

then run msconfig and find out what gets loaded on startup... anything fishy i suggest you disable (at least for the time being)

things that typically cauz this kinda thing are
A. crashed or missbehaving applications
B. Trojan viruses & spyware
C. CPU cooling software or monitoring software.

Anything i think of as 'Decent' is unlikely to ever become 'OEM'

TRENDING THREADS