jedge78

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2002
If a cpu comes with a thermal pad or rather the heatsink comes with one should i remove it and instead use thermal compound or just leave the pad?

Thanx

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
what cpu and will you be overclocking?

for instance: a duron i built for my mother a while ago is perfectly happy with it's pad and stock hsf. but if you want to push the ah heck i imagine some people on the board would tell you to get some artic silver or something. i'm honestly not sure if it makes a difference.

also: what heatsink? if it's made for enthusiasts/overclocking then the pad is probbably designed for it as well.

no vestige of a beginning, no prospect of an end, when we all disintegrate, it'll all happen again.

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
i bought an el cheapo HSF with a heat pad on it for my AthlonXP 1900+.

Now even WITHOUT any overclocking the ah heck was unstable and hot as anything.

Bought a pure copper HSF and an huge 7500 rpm fan + hi quality thermal paste, all works fine now, although I've decided there's no point overclocking this system now :)

For your question, try leaving the pad ON, if your system works, then hey there's no need to change anything. BUT, if you're system is horribly unstable and locks up frequently then change the HSF to some noisy (but effective) alternative.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
The moral of the story, dont buy el cheap heatsinks, buy a retal amd cpu and use the retail hsf which comes with it.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
well yes hehe, i've certainly learnt not to buy el cheapo HSF....it's running nice and cold now thanks to the copper thing i bought....what HSF comes with the retail AMD processors?

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
One perfectly designed for stock usage, it is quiet and keeps the cpu cool, I am not sure which brand it is.

Without overclocking there is no need to spend additional cash on a special heatsink for an amd chip.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink: