Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Moving a OS/program Hard Drive, to a different computer?

Last response: in Windows 7
February 24, 2013 11:45:10 AM

The plan:

1) Purchase a modest computer. Gateway AMD A-6 entry level (PC #1).
2) After accumulating funds, build a higher-performance Intel i7 computer (PC #2).

3) Remove the Hard Drive (with Windows7 Home Prem 64-bit, and all the various programs and data) from PC #1, and install it in PC #2.

(PC #1 will not have any peripherals and other hardware, other than a DVD-rw. No physical graphics card.)

Would this work?
Could I simply install whatever new drivers are needed?
The Gateway will have a lot of unwanted programs that I intend to delete Before moving the hard drive to PC #2.
a b $ Windows 7
February 24, 2013 12:12:55 PM

nope. First, the OS is OEM which mean you can't transfer it. Second, it a different processor type.
a b $ Windows 7
February 24, 2013 12:19:52 PM

using sysprep can make it work, windows will believe it is out of the box and install all of the drivers it needs. I did it from a Q9550 to a i5-3570k.

BUT you may need a new windows license as it will be an OEM license.

Also you are thinking, I imagine, of reusing the PSU, I wouldn't bother, the only thing your could reuse from PC#1 to PC#2 is the ODD, HDD and Case. The PSU will probably be rubbish and risk your PC#2 system.

If you want a non-gaming machine to tide you over, buy a laptop then you'll have 2 at the end of the whole process.

You are buying many things twice, just wait until you can buy them once, it'll be sooner or you'll get more for the same total amount of cash.
Related resources

Best solution

February 24, 2013 12:23:54 PM

It will work as long the windows is not OEM...
it will reinstall the driver for the new pc...

but i suggest its better to do clean install..
February 24, 2013 12:28:44 PM

I see.
So OEM-Gateway problem, and also CPU?

How about this idea:

1) Purchase a new OEM win7 disk from directron for $100
2) Install it to a new hard drive
3) put that in PC #1
and later
4) transfer the drive to PC #2

(PC #1 is an entry Gateway. I don't know if it is OEM and tied to the mobo or not.
a b $ Windows 7
February 24, 2013 12:32:36 PM

why would you install it on PC #1 at all? Just install it on PC #2.
February 24, 2013 12:52:01 PM

if the windows come with the hardware its usually OEM.
in your case its indeed an OEM

i agree with 13thmonkey
You are buying many things twice, just wait until you can buy them once, it'll be sooner or you'll get more for the same total amount of cash.
February 27, 2013 6:20:03 PM

Best answer selected by jonjan.
!