Dell Dimension 2350.....Help Please

I "inherited" a Dell Dimension 2350 with Windows XP on it. The friend who
gave it to me had a temper tantrum one day when he could not get the
computer to do something he wanted. As a result, he ripped all the wires
off of the back of it. The only damage seems to be the port that the
monitor is to be plugged into....it's ruined. I installed a new Conqueror
FX 5200 PCI video card but nothing shows up on the monitor. Which leads me
to believe that in order to install a new video card, I must first disable
the on board card built into the mother board.....no way to do that since I
cannot plug the monitor into the original video card. Correct?

If anybody has a suggestion, I would appreciate hearing from you.....Thanks!
29 answers Last reply
More about dell dimension 2350 help please

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:15:27 GMT, RLF wrote in

    > I "inherited" a Dell Dimension 2350 with Windows XP on it. The friend who
    > gave it to me had a temper tantrum one day when he could not get the
    > computer to do something he wanted. As a result, he ripped all the wires
    > off of the back of it. The only damage seems to be the port that the
    > monitor is to be plugged into....it's ruined. I installed a new Conqueror
    > FX 5200 PCI video card but nothing shows up on the monitor. Which leads me
    > to believe that in order to install a new video card, I must first disable
    > the on board card built into the mother board.....no way to do that since I
    > cannot plug the monitor into the original video card. Correct?
    >
    > If anybody has a suggestion, I would appreciate hearing from you.....Thanks!

    Find someone who has the same type of machine and have them copy down the
    keys they hit to disable to on-board video. Then, you can do it blind and
    hopefully get it right.

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    OK....can anybody help me with this suggestion?

    Thanks, David!

    "David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:15:27 GMT, RLF wrote in
    >
    > > I "inherited" a Dell Dimension 2350 with Windows XP on it. The friend
    who
    > > gave it to me had a temper tantrum one day when he could not get the
    > > computer to do something he wanted. As a result, he ripped all the
    wires
    > > off of the back of it. The only damage seems to be the port that the
    > > monitor is to be plugged into....it's ruined. I installed a new
    Conqueror
    > > FX 5200 PCI video card but nothing shows up on the monitor. Which leads
    me
    > > to believe that in order to install a new video card, I must first
    disable
    > > the on board card built into the mother board.....no way to do that
    since I
    > > cannot plug the monitor into the original video card. Correct?
    > >
    > > If anybody has a suggestion, I would appreciate hearing from
    you.....Thanks!

    > Find someone who has the same type of machine and have them copy down the
    > keys they hit to disable to on-board video. Then, you can do it blind and
    > hopefully get it right.
    >
    > Dave
    > --
    > You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
    > US Army Signal Corps!!
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
    >
    > Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    The 2350 uses an Intel-designed motherboard and the BIOS default for the video
    is PCI, as I can recall. Try this: Unplug the system, open the chassis, remove
    the C2032 3v lithium battery for a couple of hours (just to be sure). Put the
    battery back in, power up the computer. You should see system Power On Self
    Test (POST) messages on the monitor attached to the PCI card. Removing the
    battery eliminates the electrical current necessary to retain the current BIOS
    CMOS settings, invalidates the settings and sets them back to the factory
    default next time the system is powered up. There is probably also a CMOS reset
    jumper block on the motherboard. Setting the CMOS jumper to the reset position
    accomplishes the same result as removing the battery... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:15:27 GMT, "RLF" <notime@forspam.com> wrote:

    >I "inherited" a Dell Dimension 2350 with Windows XP on it. The friend who
    >gave it to me had a temper tantrum one day when he could not get the
    >computer to do something he wanted. As a result, he ripped all the wires
    >off of the back of it. The only damage seems to be the port that the
    >monitor is to be plugged into....it's ruined. I installed a new Conqueror
    >FX 5200 PCI video card but nothing shows up on the monitor. Which leads me
    >to believe that in order to install a new video card, I must first disable
    >the on board card built into the mother board.....no way to do that since I
    >cannot plug the monitor into the original video card. Correct?
    >
    >If anybody has a suggestion, I would appreciate hearing from you.....Thanks!

    Thanks, Ben. I'll give it a try. Anybody else have other suggestions?

    > The 2350 uses an Intel-designed motherboard and the BIOS default for the
    video
    > is PCI, as I can recall. Try this: Unplug the system, open the chassis,
    remove
    > the C2032 3v lithium battery for a couple of hours (just to be sure). Put
    the
    > battery back in, power up the computer. You should see system Power On
    Self
    > Test (POST) messages on the monitor attached to the PCI card. Removing
    the
    > battery eliminates the electrical current necessary to retain the current
    BIOS
    > CMOS settings, invalidates the settings and sets them back to the factory
    > default next time the system is powered up. There is probably also a CMOS
    reset
    > jumper block on the motherboard. Setting the CMOS jumper to the reset
    position
    > accomplishes the same result as removing the battery... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:15:27 GMT, "RLF" <notime@forspam.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I "inherited" a Dell Dimension 2350 with Windows XP on it. The friend
    who
    > >gave it to me had a temper tantrum one day when he could not get the
    > >computer to do something he wanted. As a result, he ripped all the wires
    > >off of the back of it. The only damage seems to be the port that the
    > >monitor is to be plugged into....it's ruined. I installed a new
    Conqueror
    > >FX 5200 PCI video card but nothing shows up on the monitor. Which leads
    me
    > >to believe that in order to install a new video card, I must first
    disable
    > >the on board card built into the mother board.....no way to do that since
    > >cannot plug the monitor into the original video card. Correct?
    > >
    > >If anybody has a suggestion, I would appreciate hearing from
    you.....Thanks!

    Well you could spring for this motherboard. At $5 Canadian it is a bargain.
    Go to www.ebay.ca and enter the following bid number...

    6715256109

    Regards,
    John O.

    "RLF" <notime@forspam.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks, Ben. I'll give it a try. Anybody else have other suggestions?
    >

    > <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    >> The 2350 uses an Intel-designed motherboard and the BIOS default for the
    > video
    >> is PCI, as I can recall. Try this: Unplug the system, open the chassis,
    > remove
    >> the C2032 3v lithium battery for a couple of hours (just to be sure).
    >> Put
    > the
    >> battery back in, power up the computer. You should see system Power On
    > Self
    >> Test (POST) messages on the monitor attached to the PCI card. Removing
    > the
    >> battery eliminates the electrical current necessary to retain the current
    > BIOS
    >> CMOS settings, invalidates the settings and sets them back to the factory
    >> default next time the system is powered up. There is probably also a
    >> CMOS
    > reset
    >> jumper block on the motherboard. Setting the CMOS jumper to the reset
    > position
    >> accomplishes the same result as removing the battery... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:15:27 GMT, "RLF" <notime@forspam.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I "inherited" a Dell Dimension 2350 with Windows XP on it. The friend
    > who
    >> >gave it to me had a temper tantrum one day when he could not get the
    >> >computer to do something he wanted. As a result, he ripped all the
    >> >wires
    >> >off of the back of it. The only damage seems to be the port that the
    >> >monitor is to be plugged into....it's ruined. I installed a new
    > Conqueror
    >> >FX 5200 PCI video card but nothing shows up on the monitor. Which leads
    > me
    >> >to believe that in order to install a new video card, I must first
    > disable
    >> >the on board card built into the mother board.....no way to do that
    >> >since
    >> >cannot plug the monitor into the original video card. Correct?
    >> >
    >> >If anybody has a suggestion, I would appreciate hearing from
    > you.....Thanks!

    Ben,

    Sorry to say, it didn't work......no change.

    > The 2350 uses an Intel-designed motherboard and the BIOS default for the
    video
    > is PCI, as I can recall. Try this: Unplug the system, open the chassis,
    remove
    > the C2032 3v lithium battery for a couple of hours (just to be sure). Put
    the
    > battery back in, power up the computer. You should see system Power On
    Self
    > Test (POST) messages on the monitor attached to the PCI card. Removing
    the
    > battery eliminates the electrical current necessary to retain the current
    BIOS
    > CMOS settings, invalidates the settings and sets them back to the factory
    > default next time the system is powered up. There is probably also a CMOS
    reset
    > jumper block on the motherboard. Setting the CMOS jumper to the reset
    position
    > accomplishes the same result as removing the battery... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:15:27 GMT, "RLF" <notime@forspam.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I "inherited" a Dell Dimension 2350 with Windows XP on it. The friend
    who
    > >gave it to me had a temper tantrum one day when he could not get the
    > >computer to do something he wanted. As a result, he ripped all the wires
    > >off of the back of it. The only damage seems to be the port that the
    > >monitor is to be plugged into....it's ruined. I installed a new
    Conqueror
    > >FX 5200 PCI video card but nothing shows up on the monitor. Which leads
    me
    > >to believe that in order to install a new video card, I must first
    disable
    > >the on board card built into the mother board.....no way to do that since
    > >cannot plug the monitor into the original video card. Correct?
    > >
    > >If anybody has a suggestion, I would appreciate hearing from
    you.....Thanks!

    Well, it;s likely your hot-tempered friend messed up the motherboard beyond
    repair... Ben Myers

    ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message news:<41788c38.59834254@news.charter.net>...
    > Well, it;s likely your hot-tempered friend messed up the motherboard beyond
    > repair... Ben Myers

    This is likely the problem. The on board video on Dells without
    an agp slot can't be disabled and does not need to be in order to
    add a pci video card. Smack your friend and have them buy you a new
    motherboard. Best wishes...
    Dave

    The 2350 does have a BIOS option to switch from integrated to PCI video. But
    I'm afraid that the motherboard is physically damaged beyond recall based on the
    description from the OP... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:00:15 +1000, "Buck Rogers" <who@cares.com.au> wrote:

    >On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:15:27 GMT, RLF <notime@forspam.com> wrote:
    >
    >The below links may be of some help:
    >
    >http://www.google.com.au/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=v3o6pffs8doc18%40corp.supernews.com&rnum=3&prev=/groups%3Fas_q%3D2350%2520pci%2520video%26safe%3Dimages%26as_ugroup%3D*dell*%26lr%3D%26hl%3Den
    >

    >http://www.google.com.au/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=Xns938F3A170D732Campbell%40207.225.159.6&rnum=7&prev=/groups%3Fas_q%3D2350%2520pci%2520video%26safe%3Dimages%26as_ugroup%3D*dell*%26lr%3D%26hl%3Den
    >

    >http://www.google.com.au/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=v3jkilaq1lt133%40corp.supernews.com&rnum=9&prev=/groups%3Fas_q%3D2350%2520pci%2520video%26safe%3Dimages%26as_ugroup%3D*dell*%26lr%3D%26hl%3Den
    >
    >http://www.google.com.au/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=pan.2004.06.23.19.03.35.340922%40earthlink.net&rnum=21&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D2350%2Bpci%2Bvideo%2Bgroup:*dell*%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26start%3D20%26sa%3DN
    >

    >To summarise, it appears that if your BIOS does not have the option to
    >switch to a PCI video card,
    >then you can upgrade the bios(by d/loading from the Dell site).
    >
    >I also have a 2350 - I'll check my BIOS the next time I turn the machine
    >on, and will advise you
    >if I see an option for a PCI card.
    >
    >Good luck.
    >
    >Buck
    >--
    >Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/

    Buck,

    Thanks for the info.....any other info you can find will be much
    appreciated.

    "Buck Rogers" <who@cares.com.au> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:15:27 GMT, RLF <notime@forspam.com> wrote:
    >
    > The below links may be of some help:

    http://www.google.com.au/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=v3o6pffs8doc18%40corp.supe
    rnews.com&rnum=3&prev=/groups%3Fas_q%3D2350%2520pci%2520video%26safe%3Dimage
    s%26as_ugroup%3D*dell*%26lr%3D%26hl%3Den

    http://www.google.com.au/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=Xns938F3A170D732Campbell%4
    0207.225.159.6&rnum=7&prev=/groups%3Fas_q%3D2350%2520pci%2520video%26safe%3D
    images%26as_ugroup%3D*dell*%26lr%3D%26hl%3Den

    http://www.google.com.au/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=v3jkilaq1lt133%40corp.supe
    rnews.com&rnum=9&prev=/groups%3Fas_q%3D2350%2520pci%2520video%26safe%3Dimage
    s%26as_ugroup%3D*dell*%26lr%3D%26hl%3Den

    http://www.google.com.au/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=pan.2004.06.23.19.03.35.34
    0922%40earthlink.net&rnum=21&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D2350%2Bpci%2Bvideo%2Bgroup:*
    dell*%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26start%3D20%26sa%3DN

    > To summarise, it appears that if your BIOS does not have the option to
    > switch to a PCI video card,
    > then you can upgrade the bios(by d/loading from the Dell site).
    >
    > I also have a 2350 - I'll check my BIOS the next time I turn the machine
    > on, and will advise you
    > if I see an option for a PCI card.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > Buck

    Actually, I see no other physical damage other than the port where the
    monitor is to be plugged into is broken. Just the little prongs sticking
    out.

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:54:28 GMT, RLF <notime@forspam.com> wrote:

    > Buck,
    >
    > Thanks for the info.....any other info you can find will be much
    > appreciated.

    In my BIOS, there is a "Use primary adapter" setting, with the option
    to switch it from "onboard" to "auto". The BIOS should then detect your
    PCI video card.

    If you don't have this setting, d/l the latest bios for the 2350 from
    the dell site.

    Buck

    I appreciate the info, Buck. Only problem is, I cannot access the bios
    since I cannot plug the monitor into the original video port......it's
    damaged.

    Any more suggestions?

    Thanks!

    >I appreciate the info, Buck. Only problem is, I cannot access the bios
    > since I cannot plug the monitor into the original video port......it's
    > damaged.
    >
    > Any more suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks!

    <snip>

    The 2350 has a multi-paged BIOS (Award-type) unlike the current 2400's and
    3000's, which have a single page BIOS. The odd thing about the 2350 BIOS as
    shown on the Dell support site is that there is NO integrated video or video
    adapter preference shown:

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2350/syssetup.htm#1097118

    Integrated devices appear on the 'advanced' page of the BIOS, and there are
    no video settings shown. I can't imagine this being correct, but it has been
    a while since I have worked with one of these models.

    With current systems, I'd expect them to have the ability to auto-detect
    your PCI graphics card w/o the need to change BIOS manually.

    It would be helpful to post your message over at the Dell site /community
    forum / Dimension / Video and hook up with someone who has a working 2350 to
    confirm the BIOS options, yea or nay.

    Are you saying that this numbskull completely ripped the 15-pin DIN connect
    OFF of the motherboard? Or is it still there with pins sticking out of the
    (blue) socket????

    Stew

    Stew.....

    Thanks for the info. Yes, the numbskull ripped the blue socket right off of
    the motherboard. The fifteen pins are still there but I see no way to
    reattach the plug to the pins. Crazy idiot, huh? The guy needs to learn
    how to control his temper. Well, if I could find a way to fix it, I would
    have a decent second computer.

    > Stew.....
    >
    > Thanks for the info. Yes, the numbskull ripped the blue socket right off
    > of
    > the motherboard. The fifteen pins are still there but I see no way to
    > reattach the plug to the pins. Crazy idiot, huh? The guy needs to learn
    > how to control his temper. Well, if I could find a way to fix it, I would
    > have a decent second computer.

    Another option? (not an endorsement or even a recommendation, mind you):

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1244&item=6717301185&rd=1

    I'd send the guy an e-mail to gauge his response time and check his shipping
    price.

    It's the same board (in effect, newer 845 chipset), but with 400mhz and
    533mhz CPU support:

    2350 specs:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2350/specs.htm#1101572

    2400 specs:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/specs.htm

    Board can be swapped out in 15 mins or less with some assistance. I'd be
    glad to help via mail if you need it.

    Just an option.

    Stew

    Stew,

    If I were to install this new motherboard, do you think I would be able to
    reload Windows XP from the CD Rom that was supplied by Dell when the
    computer was new?

    > Stew,
    >
    > If I were to install this new motherboard, do you think I would be able to
    > reload Windows XP from the CD Rom that was supplied by Dell when the
    > computer was new?

    Yessir.

    Stew

    I'm not Stew. But... Yes, you could reload XP from the Dell-supplied "Restore"
    CD-ROM and the driver CD-ROM.

    Honestly, I thoink that motheboard replacement is the way to go. At this point,
    there is no clue as to the damage on the original 2350 motherboard. For the
    price of a 2400 motherboard you would have the equivalent of a system with a
    street price around $300. Seems well worth it to me... Ben Myers

    > I'm not Stew. But... Yes, you could reload XP from the Dell-supplied
    > "Restore"
    > CD-ROM and the driver CD-ROM.
    >
    > Honestly, I thoink that motheboard replacement is the way to go. At this
    > point,
    > there is no clue as to the damage on the original 2350 motherboard. For
    > the
    > price of a 2400 motherboard you would have the equivalent of a system with
    > street price around $300. Seems well worth it to me... Ben Myers

    I tend to agree, pending 1) the outcome of the auction, 2) the seller's
    shipping price, and 3) the seller's response to e-mailed inquiries.

    If the OP could get the board for $60 or less (the seller is guaranteeing
    money back minus shipping), it would be well worth getting the board (to
    me).

    The board change can be done rather easily with an e-mail or two.

    Stew

    A 2350 is new enough to have come with XP?

    Tom

    >A 2350 is new enough to have come with XP?
    >
    > Tom

    Yes sir. I believe it was the stock OS on that machine, pre SP1. I believe
    the 2200's and 4300's were the last I saw arriving with WinMe installed and
    the XP "free upgrade" coupon.

    Not sure how the premium Dimensions broke down. I feel sure that the 8100s
    were all or mostly WinMe, which would mean that some of the early 8200's
    transitioned over to XP.

    Stew

    Thanks to all.....I just put in a bid for the motherboard. Of course, if
    anyone has any alternative suggestions, I would appreciate hearing them!

    Rob (Winter Park, FL)

    > "RLF" <notime@forspam.com> wrote in message
    > > Stew,
    > >
    > > If I were to install this new motherboard, do you think I would be able
    > > reload Windows XP from the CD Rom that was supplied by Dell when the
    > > computer was new?
    > >

    > Yessir.
    >

    > Stew

    I cannot see any at all. If the MB is that damaged then who knows what other
    kind of damage your friend did. And I agree with one more thing. Your friend
    has some real anger management issues. Anyone that inconsiderate of his own
    property must surely be even more inconsiderate with the property of others.

    Installing the new MB should be a snap and you will be much happier with the
    newer MB. Once the MB arrives, post again here and I am sure that there will
    be plenty of help to guide you along.

    > Thanks to all.....I just put in a bid for the motherboard. Of course, if
    > anyone has any alternative suggestions, I would appreciate hearing them!
    >
    > Rob (Winter Park, FL)
    >

    > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "RLF" <notime@forspam.com> wrote in message
    >> > Stew,
    >> >
    >> > If I were to install this new motherboard, do you think I would be able
    >> > reload Windows XP from the CD Rom that was supplied by Dell when the
    >> > computer was new?
    >> >

    >> Yessir.
    >>

    >> Stew

    Thanks, John. And yes, anger management is a problem for him. Maybe some
    day he will learn to leave street drugs alone and then learn that life needs
    not be as stressful.

    "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
    > I cannot see any at all. If the MB is that damaged then who knows what
    other
    > kind of damage your friend did. And I agree with one more thing. Your
    friend
    > has some real anger management issues. Anyone that inconsiderate of his
    own
    > property must surely be even more inconsiderate with the property of
    others.

    > Installing the new MB should be a snap and you will be much happier with
    the
    > newer MB. Once the MB arrives, post again here and I am sure that there
    will
    > be plenty of help to guide you along.
    >
    > Regards,
    > John O.
    >
    > "RLF" <notime@forspam.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks to all.....I just put in a bid for the motherboard. Of course,
    if
    > > anyone has any alternative suggestions, I would appreciate hearing them!
    > >
    > > Rob (Winter Park, FL)
    > >

    > > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "RLF" <notime@forspam.com> wrote in message

    > >> Yessir.
    > >>

    > >> Stew

  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Yes, it has XP. I'm sure

    > A 2350 is new enough to have come with XP?
    >
    > Tom
    > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "RLF" <notime@forspam.com> wrote in message
    > >> Stew,
    > >>
    > >> If I were to install this new motherboard, do you think I would be able
    > >> reload Windows XP from the CD Rom that was supplied by Dell when the
    > >> computer was new?
    > >>

    > > Yessir.
    > >

    > > Stew

  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    >I won the Ebay auction. Didn't get the mother board for the $40 opening
    > bid...it ended up costing $98. Still not a bad price for what will amount
    > to a new computer.
    >
    > Thanks again, Stew!

    RLF -

    If it's worth it to you, that's all that really matters.

    Before we slap one another on the back in celebration, get the board in and
    working and then we will hoist one for practicality and inexpensive repairs.

    If you need my assistance with the board install, just shoot me an e-mail
    with the above subject line in the header (so I won't bounce you).

    Good luck and post back.

    Stew

    stew1960ATbellsouthDOTnet
  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Stew,

    It's being shipped to me here in Winter Park (Orlando), FL from Sterling
    Heights (Detroit), MI. I'll be out of town for a few days so it will take
    some time till I get the opportunity to install it. Keep watching this
    group. I'll let you know the results.

    Thanks again.

    Rob

    > "RLF" <notime@forspam.com> wrote in message
    > >I won the Ebay auction. Didn't get the mother board for the $40 opening
    > > bid...it ended up costing $98. Still not a bad price for what will
    amount
    > > to a new computer.
    > >
    > > Thanks again, Stew!
    > >

    > RLF -
    >
    > If it's worth it to you, that's all that really matters.
    >
    > Before we slap one another on the back in celebration, get the board in
    and
    > working and then we will hoist one for practicality and inexpensive
    repairs.

    > If you need my assistance with the board install, just shoot me an e-mail
    > with the above subject line in the header (so I won't bounce you).
    >
    > Good luck and post back.
    >

    > Stew
    >
    > stew1960ATbellsouthDOTnet

Dell Graphics Cards Dimension Computers Product