How to remove old HD after W7 install on new HD...hanging on DMI pool

n2stox

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
A while back, I upgraded to a 500gb SATA and partitioned it as C and D and installed Win 7 into C.

My old drive was an 80gb IDE with XP on it. It is now the E drive. I kept XP in there just in case I had some app that would not work in W7.

Now, after a while, I'd like to remove my old 80GB drive since I don't need it and with the other stuff I have in there, I figured my system doesn't need the extra heat and I need to simplify my file systems.

So, last night I unplug E, and then my system hangs on the "Verifying DMI Pool data." I really didn't think this would work, so I re-plugged in the drives and reset CMOS and now I'm back where I was.

What is the proper way to disconnect this old drive with the old OS on it?

Thanks,

Jeff

n2stox

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
I definitely think I should have had the old drive disconnected before the OS install. I'm thinking I disconnect E and boot from the DVD drive and do a repair install on my c: partition.

Or, just leave it as it is since no harm is being done, as far as I can tell.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
"My old drive was an 80gb IDE with XP on it. It is now the E drive. I kept XP in there just in case I had some app that would not work in W7.
Now, after a while, I'd like to remove my old 80GB drive since I don't need it and with the other stuff I have in there"
From that statement I took it that's what you planned to do.
So yes disconnect the XP drive to restore the bootloader.
Leaving it there won't hurt if that's what you want, but you could use it for backups.

n2stox

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Ok, so I unplug the small drives and put in my W7 disk planning to repair install, or just do a clean install, and my system never gets past the "verifying DMI" stuff.

At one point, I got an "UPdate DMI...Success!" or something like that, but never got to a point where I can actually do anything with windows. So, I replug in the small drives, clear the cmos once again, and here I am, system boots to W7 just fine, although now it takes about 4 minutes to post whereas before it took like 40 seconds, so that is a major downgrade.

I am no further along.

system is

gigabyte ga-ma785-us2h r 1.1 with F7 Bios (at this point, the BIOS could be another problem).
No additional hardware except for a 4 port USB Pci card.
Phenom x2 545 I think.
4gb OCZ

wallyinnc

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
Jeff, did you make sure you selected the DVD drive as the boot device when doing the repair install? The DMI issue is a hardware problem and is likely related to the BIOS. I would try to reinstall / repair install Windows 7 once more and make sure the boot loaders are not in the XP drive: Make sure the DVD is boot drive, disconnect XP drive, run repair install 3 times.
If that still doesn't work try updating your BIOS
Hope it helps

n2stox

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

I did all that, except the run repair install 3 times.

When it boots from the DVD it goes into repair and does not give me the choice to repair install. A window pops up giving me 5 or so choices, none of which is a repair install.

I did a system scan and I have no errors. Event ID of 41 shows up, which I know can be anything.

I changed the power settings on the processor to max 100% and min 50% and I changed my audio driver to the one recommended on the mobo website, and I turned off auto updates.

I sent an email to Gigabyte so see exactly which BIOS I should be running with W7-64.

k3y3n1n

Distinguished
May 20, 2010

When you said you replugged the cable in did you use the same sata port, If so try a different port. Also try updating your bios