OT P2P network hidden in Kazaa downloads

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
Off topic I know but in the interest of a wider audience ....

A California company has quietly attached its software to millions of downloads of the popular Kazaa file-trading program and plans to remotely "turn on" people's PCs, welding them into a new network of its own.
Brilliant Digital Entertainment, a California-based digital advertising technology company, has been distributing its 3D ad technology along with the Kazaa software since late last fall. But in a federal securities filing Monday, the company revealed it also has been installing more ambitious technology that could turn every computer running Kazaa into a node in a new network controlled by Brilliant Digital.

more <A HREF="http://msn.com.com/2100-1105-873416.html" target="_new">Here</A>

this the type of stuff that causes me to recommend winmx to those wanting to Share files

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my North<font color=red> AND</font color=red> South bridges for <font color=green>Trolls</font color=green></font color=blue>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Kazaa is fine, and adaware removes that network component IIRC, winmx is slow compared to the fast track network, unfortunatly morpheus went off it and so I was forced to run kazaa.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
hmm about a year or so ago I had kazaa and ran ad aware .. when it removed the ad components it also disabled kazaa.. perhaps this has changed since then

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my North<font color=red> AND</font color=red> South bridges for <font color=green>Trolls</font color=green></font color=blue>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Kazaa Lite is supposed to solve these problems, read the HardOCP front page to find the link to it.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
thank you Matisaro :smile:

for the sake of others <A HREF="http://www.cexx.org/dummies.htm" target="_new">Here</A> is a link to it

lagger

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Long live Donkey.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
::bows::

Also remove the bde player to avoid this new threat, it is in the install programs add remove list. or b3e, or something, removing it removes the extra network, and it does not affect kazaa.

jedge78

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2002
like fatburger said, kazaalite has all of the same features without any of the adware, spyware, or thirdparty software. In the download section, they even explain how to completely remove kazaa and the software from brilliant digital. Try www.kazaalite.tk

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
My kazaa is spyware free.

Faked cd_clint and all, I refuse spyware.

I used to use morpheus, but they went to crap gnutella, and added spyware, so I was forced to go kazaa, but it took me all of 10 mins to find out how to clean it.

M_C_Hammer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2002
this is how i got rid of all the bde crap (i copyed this text from http://www.a1-electronics.co.uk/Press/HotoffPress2.shtml):

1. In the Windows Control Panel, select an option called "Add/Remove Programs." One of the options will be "b3d Projector." Highlight this and click the "Change/Remove" button.

You may get a message that the uninstall has been successful. Search your computer for a "BDE" folder, which most likely will be found in the "WinNT" or "Windows" directory. In this folder will be a file called "bdeclean.exe". Run this to finish the first part of the process. Delete the BDE folder.

Caution: An unrelated piece of software called Borland Database Engine also creates a BDE directory. If you think you may have this software installed, or if there is any confusion whatsoever, do not delete this directory.

2. In the "Temp" directory (this will normally be found inside the "Windows" or "WinNT" directory) is a folder called "Brilliant." This contains many files. Delete the entire folder.

3. After performing steps 1 and 2, you will need to locate and remove some additional Brilliant Digital files that have been placed in critical system-level computer directories. CAUTION: Deleting the wrong files could interfere with the normal functioning of your computer. These files will most likely be in the "WindowsSystem" or "WinNTSystem32" folder:

bdedownloader.dll
bdedata2.dll
bdefdi.dll
bdeinsta2.dll
bdeinstall.exe
bdesecureinstall.cab
bdesecureinstall.exe
bdeverify.exe
bdeverify.dll

Delete these files.

I need a 1.5 Ghz Athlon + 512mb ddr ram to write emails......honestly

TRENDING THREADS