Sign in with
Your question

about Artic Silver thermal compound

Last response: in CPUs
April 3, 2002 7:15:20 PM

I recently just bought a Pentium 4 1.6A and i also bought the Artic Silver thermal compound. I was wondering if it's worth it that i bought the thing for my cpu. How's the thermal pad that came with the pentium 4 1.6A retail? Should i use it or just stick with the retail stuff came with the processor?
April 3, 2002 7:34:04 PM

Since you've already got the Silver, take off the pad that comes on the heatsink and use the Silver instead.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
April 3, 2002 7:34:52 PM

Artic Silver is generally associated with high end overclocking. You need it to maintain low enough temperatures for a stable system. Most thermal pads are junk. It's usually better to just use the thermal paste that comes with the fan and apply it to the die. I would save the Artic until you want to really overclock

"When there's a will, there's a way."
Related resources
April 3, 2002 7:43:47 PM

I'm not sure when i am going to overclock the cpu, but i know that i will. That's why i bought the ABIT TH7II-Raid motherboard and the thermal paste. If i'm going to overclock later, then i should apply the paste right? I don't want to take the cpu out later and apply it. How's the temperature if i apply it?

Ps. How's hard is it apply that thermal paste? I have never done this before so does overclocking.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by trueboyz on 04/03/02 03:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
April 3, 2002 8:01:08 PM

Yeah, you gotta take off the thermal pad, and put some on the die. Don't go crazy, and spread it all over the CPU, that's a waste (trust me, i've tried it on my t-bird). It simply helps the die conduct heat better to the heatsink. I don't know exactly how much it improves the temp, but I would guess anywhere from 3-12 degrees celsius depending on your old thermal paste/thermal pad. Don't worry, not too hard to put the AS on, just be carful doing it. I don't have AS, i'm using the paste that came with my OEM cooler. Just squirt a small dot onto the die, and spread the paste with your finger or something like that. Make sure you lightly cover the entire die. Just a matter of patience and being careful.

April 3, 2002 8:49:06 PM

I've found that a business card is a great way to spread the paste.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"
April 3, 2002 11:02:14 PM

Quote:
Artic Silver is generally associated with high end overclocking.

What?

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
April 3, 2002 11:27:44 PM

yeah people said credit cards or just cards in just general can do it. I still don't know why people sell the paste in such large amount. After all, you only apply a little bit on the memory die.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2002 12:31:44 AM

I heard that the tube was origionaly ment to contain enough paste for 6 processors. Keep this in mind when using it.

- Share it with your friends :) 

May Fortune Favor The Foolish
April 4, 2002 8:41:32 PM

Don't use your bare finger to spread the AS around. Put your hand in a plastic sandwich bag or something (seriously) and then spread it gently around the die with your finger. The bag is to keep the oils from your finger off it, but its also to keep that stuff off your skin. Its not like its mercury or depleted uranium, but I'm guessing you still don't want it on ya.

As to whether or not you should use it, absolutly! You already bought it and you plan to overclock, so why wait until later?

----
A newbie is only a newbie for as long as you allow him to be.
-Anonymous Veteran
April 4, 2002 9:25:47 PM

LOL, depleted uranium!?! They make freaking military shells and bullets out of that stuff.

Well, I used my finger, I just washed it off thouroughly afterwards.

April 4, 2002 9:26:44 PM

Well since lots of people use Artic Silver, it is often used in terms with overclocking I mean. Most of the oc'ing i've done is not with AS, but I know of friends who have it.

April 4, 2002 9:34:20 PM

heh I know I was j/k. Besides it was on my mind cuz of the West Wing (tv show) last night.

----
A newbie is only a newbie for as long as you allow him to be.
-Anonymous Veteran
April 4, 2002 10:04:03 PM

But quite a lot of people use AS even at stock speeds.

April 4, 2002 11:52:25 PM

arctic silver is tasty!

Anything i think of as 'Decent' is unlikely to ever become 'OEM'
April 5, 2002 2:01:53 AM

True :) 

April 5, 2002 2:02:51 AM

LoL =O

!