Sign in with
Your question

How to look if the laptop is brand new (hp dv6 6121tx) ?

Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
August 11, 2011 9:09:12 PM

hey people i need to know some things before buying dv6 6121tx laptop ..
1) can a reseller provide a costumer with used or opened laptop in a new pack by sealing it again ? and what do they do of the models they show us in showrooms? ( i have seen some electronics re sealed by dealers ) so how do i look for seals and hw many are there can they be re done?

2) i heard of faulty chipsets .. do i need to see in dv6 6121tx serial no if its greater than 108 or lesser than 108 would be ok ?

please provide me with sufficient info on these 2 topics ....... :bounce: 
a c 572 D Laptop
a b α HP
August 11, 2011 9:17:05 PM

(1) only if they disclose it's a reconditioned, refurbished or open box unit.
Check the box - you could easily tell.

(2) unknown
m
l
a c 572 D Laptop
a b α HP
August 11, 2011 9:19:59 PM

Are you asking about BestBuy specifically?
Check their website and see what they have to say on that subject.
m
l
Related resources
August 11, 2011 9:31:24 PM

hey wr2 u r always there for me man ! no im asking for reseller in india.. how to know if its used or resealed ? can they reseal it ? i want a new one man .
m
l
August 11, 2011 9:33:28 PM

there are alot of scam dealers in india ... thats why am worried and not bought it yet ....
m
l
a c 572 D Laptop
a b α HP
August 11, 2011 10:34:47 PM

Yes, you're right about that.
And they're a LOT better at faking packaging and stuff like that.
I don't know what to tell you .. just be careful, make sure you know what the return policy is if the merchandise isn't what it's supposed to be.
Talk to the local people on the ground over there. Find a 'real' HP dealer, not a back alley merchant.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
August 11, 2011 10:50:58 PM

An ethical seller will tell you what it is. An unethical seller will tell you that it is new.

One possible way to tell is to access the hard drive SMART info. It includes power on hours.
m
l
August 12, 2011 12:20:49 AM

To access the smart info on the hard drive, Grab a program called SpeedFan, install and run as administrator. Then when opened click on the tabs up top and goto SMART. Id imagine that 10 or less hours is new.
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 12, 2011 12:25:25 AM

I would not buy an hp they have serious thermal issues.
m
l
August 12, 2011 7:06:28 AM

please tell me more about hard drive how to access it ,, or any other thing i can check instantly without downloading any programme (also it can be factory resetted and it will take some time on starting again ( tell me a process that only happens during first start up and NOT AFTER FACTORY RESETTED ) ... i cannot buy it and then download and then check ... whatever once i take it home the dealer wont deal with me anymore ,, THATS INDIA..
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
August 12, 2011 2:07:16 PM

You need to find a dealer that you trust, or at least, distrust the least.
If it is normal prectice in India to never do returns, then you have a problem.

If a price is too good to be true, it probably is.

You may find that there is no SMART data anyway, because the data collection facilities were never enabled in the first place.

If the pc comes in a carton that has been opened, it is likely that it is a return, or has been used.
But unethical vendors will be able to seal a package so that it looks new.
Look at the bags in which the accessories are packaged. They should be sealed.

One other possibility might be to try to check out the age of the pc by looking up the serial number of the unit.
The serial number will often be the basis for determinimg the age of electronics for warranty purposes.
m
l
August 12, 2011 2:34:39 PM

thanks all of you for helping me ....
@ geofelt ~ u have a good point ,, will look for accessories if they have HP tapes? IF TAPES ARE SIMPLE I WILL LEAVE IT..

AND how can i find the age of laptop by serial no. ? how old can i buy ?
m
l
a c 572 D Laptop
a b α HP
August 12, 2011 2:38:08 PM

The only 'age' related concern would be the battery. Batteries will have date of manufacture listed on the part.
None of the other parts are affected by age.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
August 12, 2011 2:52:13 PM

WR2 said:
The only 'age' related concern would be the battery. Batteries will have date of manufacture listed on the part.
None of the other parts are affected by age.

^Another good place to look.

If a pc is older, then I figure it is more likely to be used or reconditioned.
A reconditioned unit will normally have a sticker saying so, but, of course, that could have been removed.
m
l
August 12, 2011 4:02:17 PM

it gets more and more complicating :]
so please DO answer/correct me the 5 questions --------------------
1 will look for serial no. on the box . {what will it tell me ?} it is just a num. *
2 [IMPORTANT] seal of hp on [ALL accessories] and {if there is no hp seal and only simple one should i leave it ?}
3 is there anything special while starting firt time and never again even after resetting ?
4 ok so i guess there will be serial no. on battery so {how to check its make} ?
thaks a lot for your concern ......
5 what power on hours you mentioned geofelt ?

i apologise i asked too many things , but i m just too concerned ..
m
l
a c 572 D Laptop
a b α HP
August 12, 2011 4:11:31 PM

What are your difficulties with buying from a HP India reseller listed on the HP India website?
All those problems go away if you do.
m
l
August 12, 2011 4:40:39 PM

i dont understand what u mean wr2 .. the hp dealer is authorised and is on hp web site..
m
l
a c 572 D Laptop
a b α HP
August 12, 2011 4:44:28 PM

Then he's required to sell you new product and accept returns is he not?

As long as you're not buying from a back alley bazaar vendor or off the back of someone's truck you'll be OK.
m
l
a c 572 D Laptop
a b α HP
August 12, 2011 4:45:00 PM

You're over-thinking this wayyyyyy too much from what I can tell.
m
l
a c 572 D Laptop
a b α HP
August 12, 2011 4:51:58 PM

I think it's time you get off the forums and get on the phone. Call HP customer support and ask them what the return and refund policies are. Ask them if there have been any complaints with what ever vendor store you plan to use.

You're asking too much of us to know about local India conditions and about things most of us have never had to deal with.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
August 12, 2011 4:59:36 PM

WR2 said:
I think it's time you get off the forums and get on the phone. Call HP customer support and ask them what the return and refund policies are. Ask them if there have been any complaints with what ever vendor store you plan to use.

You're asking too much of us to know about local India conditions and about things most of us have never had to deal with.

Right on!
m
l
August 12, 2011 5:00:40 PM

i was confused n didnt knew that i asked so much ;)  :)  my apologies man .. but thanks for all the help ......
m
l
a c 572 D Laptop
a b α HP
August 12, 2011 5:04:33 PM

Seriously, you're expecting too much of us. And if we get it wrong - it's no bother to us but could be big problem for you. Which is why you want to ask HP and not some guys in a forum.

No need to apologize though, it's a fair question.
We'd like to know the answers too, when you find out.
It's not likely this will be the last time this type of question gets asked.
m
l
a c 572 D Laptop
a b α HP
August 12, 2011 5:07:50 PM

ogasd said:
there are alot of scam dealers in india ... thats why am worried and not bought it yet ....
This is a problem in a lot of places. They sell stolen laptops too.

Which is why I mentioned buying from a back alley bazaar vendor or off the back of someone's truck.

m
l
!