• less than a month

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • a couple hours

Votes: 11 37.9%

• Total voters

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
So I have just been wondering for my own personal interest, I wanted to compare the difference between how long someone has been using Windows 8 vs how long much they like or dislike the OS.

So with every vote if you would be so kind as you place a comment on what you voted and what your liking of the OS that would be awesome.

Just want to get some data together for personal use and see how many people didn't give the OS a chance. Will let the poll run for a full month from today to get some decent amount of votes

And if you want to as well for extra data if you want to leave a small comment as to why you still use it or as to why you stopped using it.

I understand the OS is still in Beta and not complete, but it has been receiving much attention otherwise :p

Thank you everyone :D

EDIT - this is for all three current releases of the OS, so no matter which one you have used they all count in this poll im just considering them all as one.

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
I stopped using metro within 2 minutes. Uninstalled all of the metro apps, and still going strong since CP came out.

99.9% time spent in desktop mode.
00.1% time spent launching programs using start menu.

Prescott_666

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
I have it linked to my main desk top with Mouse Without Borders. When somebody comments on something on Windows 8, I go there and check it out, but for the most part, I just use it as a third screen for my main computer.

I think that Windows 8 will be a major failure, but I'm happy with Windows 7, and if I had to, I could always go to Ubuntu, so I don't really care.

mikemyers

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
THANK YOU!!!

I came to this forum for a tech question (haven't even asked it yet), and found this post because I'm trying out Windows 8 on one of my computers. I had no idea what you were talking about (Mouse Without Borders?????) but when I went to the site - WOW!

It reads like science fiction! If someone had told me about it, I'd ask if they had been drinking or something.... but from Microsoft!

I guess I'll forget about the other things I was working on, and download this. Incredible!

....and again, thanks!

mikemyers

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Most of the people I know that have tried Windows 8 simply hate it - and have given up on it as soon as they found it wasn't "Windows 7 but better".

Me? I tried it twice, on two different computers, and got too frustrated each time to do much more with it.

Then I downloaded Release Preview onto my Toshiba Laptop. It's about five years old, takes forever to turn on and off, and is so pathetically slow I quit using it. I wanted to "upgrade" to Windows 8, but when that wasn't working (or I wasn't smart enough to figure out how to get it to work), I did it the other way - burnt the ISO file to a DVD, and did a clean install.

Wow - my un-useable laptop came back to life with a vengeance! It turns on or off in 25 seconds, seems faster than my newer and better laptop (running Vista 7 Professional), and it's like a whole new machine.

One by one, I've been finding fixes for the things I dislike. The Metro screen I pretty much ignore. The new start button utility boots the computer to the desktop, configured just as it was when I turned the computer off.

Then again, my friends tell me that the way Windows is now configured, it won't slow down, and even for the things that do slow down the boot process, you can control when they run, so you're not sitting there twiddling your thumbs for what seems like ten minutes.

Bottom line - I'm more than pleased, and will probably upgrade my other computers once I get the "official" version. I no longer see anything I dislike, I've got a better and faster machine than under the previous operating systems, and the "missing" things are easy to add.

Is it different? Sure, but Windows as we know it today is far different from the Windows 3.1 that we used before Windows 95, and both of them are far different than the DOS computers we used before that.

To get the most out of it, you probably should have a touch-screen - I guess a year or two from now, I'll have those too.

cepheid

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
I've been using it for about a week now. I've spent the entire time hacking and slashing it to get it to be something decent for me to use. Overall it's a real disappointment and I'm using the Windows Pro 8 KMS fully activated version. The ridiculously high latency makes the system choppy at times and causes problems with gaming. The metro menu is absolutely usless for a PC and makes the interface feel disjointed while making it quite a bit less efficient. In their attempt to make a user friendly product for the tablet market they made a terrible product for the PC consumer. So yeah........I've added my windows button back via 3rd party because I'm not memorizing a whole new set of hotkeys in order to use very basic commands. I'm going to give it as long as I can deal with it and hope they fix the DPC but if it's a systemic problem then I'll be going back to Win7 soon.

If you haven't installed Win8 I wouldn't do it unless you have some time on your hands and want to mess around with it. It's not a serious OS contender atm.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Windows 7 for me is perfect! Windows 8's interface bothers me.. sooo.. i have 0 nanoseconds of use of Windows 8. The videos of people using Windows 8 is enough to keep me working with Windows 7, besides won't have the money for the upgrade. Waiting on Windows 9.....

jarrrp

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I've got to admit, when I first saw Windows 8, my first reaction was "I hate it, I'm not upgrading". But how wrong I was. When Windows 8 Release Preview was...realeased, I installed it on a partition and have been using it ever since. That's about three months now. I love it! I can use all of my software, including Steam and any of my games. Metro poses no threat and acts as no distraction and causes no problems whatsoever. I've even been using a few Metro apps here and there, but really looking forward to seeing some better ones released when Windows 8 comes out officially. As a gamer and PC enthusiast, I will definitely be buying Windows 8 in October. Not only because it's so damn cheap, but Windows 7 was slow and sluggish. In contrast, Windows 8 is clean and fresh, never mind how fast it boots anyway (Which, by the way, is like lightening compared to Windows 7!).

I feel very disappointed at the way the gaming community have bullied and put down Windows 8 like it's going to be this huge problem which ends PC gaming forever. It's not going to happen and people really need to stop being so silly. If you just don't like Windows 8, fine. But don't listen to other gamers vomit out complete crap about how it's terrible for gaming and don't get it if you're a gamer. Another thing that annoyed me was people saying Microsoft will "lock down" Windows 8 making it impossible to buy games or software from anywhere other than the app store. This also IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. The app store and metro will be as much as a restriction to gaming as desktop gadgets were. I even believe that the vast majority of apps on the store will be free anyway and will simply be things like Facebook and Twitter clients!

Embrace Windows 8 and the fresh start it offers!

Yours sincerely,
A Windows 8 fan.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
I think the problem is that Microsoft tends to pull the plug on older OS's which forces people to make a decision of what OS to turn to. I found Windows XP to be far more reliable then Win98, but upgraded to Windows 7 after buying a used machine with Vista installed (haha only paid $99 too) Honestly i don't want to move from Windows 7. For me it's an excellent OS and i have no reason to upgrade. I think the gaming community might be thinking the same thing & i don't know why anyone would think that Windows 8 would be killing the PC gaming industry. I'm sure it's an excuse to keep people from upgrading to an OS they don't like. Honestly i don't like it and i'll be most likely switching to Linux or just using an obsolete OS anyways as Microsoft's policy is 1 OS disk=1 computer. If i decide to go that route i'll still have older PC's that will run what i want and how i want to & use the newest PC's/current OS for gaming/internet use and use my older pc for media. Hopefully by the time 2020 comes around though the economy has improved and i won't mind buying a few OS's for a couple systems.

cepheid

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011

Because if the high DPC is a sytemic problem then the OS won't be worth a damn for gaming. The "gaming community" and by this I mean anyone that's taken a deeper look at how Win8 is dealing with interrupts should have concerns. I'm sure people who haven't looked under the hood think it's fantastic and fast because they can boot-up quick but so far the system is not optimal. Now this is not to say it can't be patched and fixed, and overall I think it will as Microsoft realizes that they cannot have a one-size-fits all operating system for both tablet and PC but latency=very bad for gaming. For my experience in Win8 I've had to go through and extensively change the registry and reduce services to not affect my gaming. Also for someone who utilizes every aspect of an operating system I can tell you that for all the pretense of ease provided by the Metro menu it comes at the cost of true efficiency of operation. If you're someone in and out of the system all day (reg, sys file, etc.) this is not a good OS for you atm.

People don't like change, granted, but where there's smoke there's also normally fire.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Yeah, well it's still not the final version but i get what your saying and even with Vista & i think 7 there's no advanced options for the defragmenter but i got defraggler which is better anyway. Other then not being able to use my printer with 7 (works with XP tho) i think 7 is my favorite. Anyway i don't see any need to jump right into a new OS every time as certain things wont' work correctly or that things change from one OS to another. I don't mind the little things being changed on a new OS, Windows 8 looks really different and would take some getting used to & it's not something i'm that entirely interested in.

Liliannie

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
I'm a gamer. Windows 8 have game compatibility issues with some of my games.

To answer the question, I stopped using it 1 day after trying out the Release Preview.

I don't hate Windows 8, it's just too early and not all games support it. I will buy Windows 8, but not during the first few months or even a year of its release.

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
loving the feedback.

I personally, again, am still using windows 8, have been for close to 2 months now, just put vistart on it to make it easier for me to open command prompt and just run stuff quicker, never got used to ctrl+r.

i play games quite a bit, all of my games have ran fine so far, some needing admin or compatibility settings changed, but all have worked so far, even some of my games from 1999 or older.

I do dislike "metro" or "NUI" (stupid names), but i just dont use it, i have all the hot keys i need on my keyboard or links on my desktop to navigate, the only time i see the start screen is when i boot the PC.

as for slow downs while gaming, i have not had any issues thus far.

mikemyers

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
I have Win-7 on most of my computers, Win Vista Pro on my "better" laptop, and Win-8 on my older Toshiba Satellite laptop. For the most part I simply ignore the Metro screen and all the useless stuff (to me) that might be nice on a tablet.

I dislike the fact that many things I'm used to from previous versions are missing, but so far there are work-arounds to put them all back into place.

I very much like how nicely the laptop performs with Win-8. For me, it's all a win/win situation. When all is said and done, I don't "lose" anything I now like, and I gain better performance.

I would like to point out that DPC latency is MUCH better(still high, but better) in Win8 RTM then it was in the CP version(on the preview, all DPC latency checkers told me it was BAD). Both never caused me any dropouts(and I always have audio playing)/stutters or anything at all.