AMD vs Intel Poll - Reply if you agree to the post

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
That really depends what you are buying the processors for, and what purpose you have for the procesors. Also, Intel and AMD each have strengths and weaknesses. Intel has efficient scaleability, but they need a significant clock speed margin over AMD to be competative. AMD loses scaleability from a shorter pipeline, but have much higher efficiency per mhz for the most part.

I used to be extremely biased towards AMD because they offered better efficieny for the cost, but I realized some important facts. Intel doesn't exactly build crap, they just have some expensive models and others which can be overclocked to higher levels. Also, Intel has the advantage of better features, such as built in thermal throttling. The bad thing I guess, would be Intel jumping from socket 370, to 423, to 478 in a period of one year. Bad for upgrading. The choice is yours, but look at the facts before you make a quick decision.

"When there's a will, there's a way."

FatBurger

Illustrious
Interestingly enough, no AMD user on this board has been able to prove that their AMD can match my $140 P4 ($133 now). Perhaps price/performance (for a small segment of the market, at least) is not as clear as you think?

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

jy88888888

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
That's because, altough someone may have an equivalent AMD processor, they will definitely not have an identical rest of system setup - they may have a different graphics card, hard drive etc. Tom's CPU Guide proves you wrong - look at all the AMD vs Intel articles and the benchmarks

AMD VS INTEL - AMD anyday

FatBurger

Illustrious
I'm not an idiot, I know exactly what I'm saying. My claim is that my OCed P4 will perform better than any air-cooled Athlon, and nobody has even tried to prove me wrong (except for one link to an entry in an overclocking database, which wasn't the point of my challenge).

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yep. your probably right.
i see it often enough in australia.

for the high end, a 2.2A or 2.4A upon first release is inexcess of AU$1200, plus 300+ for a rdram mobo, while the top line XP's are around 600 to 700 and the mobo's are about 300 for the kt333. (rdram + pc2700 are approx on price parity over here currently)

when u get down to the mid to budget PC's the differences pretty much dissapear in the 'noise'
of varying prices for other components.

Anything i think of as 'Decent' is unlikely to ever become 'OEM'

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
But I don't think you can have your cake and eat it. AMDs sold amost exclusively in the TBird days for their overclocking abilities. AXP is overclockable, but it gets harder and there is a little less headroom currently.

The point Fats is making is that in terms of value for money, he has a stock hardware installation (all retail) overclocked and stable that will beat out any equivalent price AXP setup. This is a big shift in the base from a year ago.

Sure no-one mentioned overclocking previously, but it is still a valid arguement if you are on a budget and can 'safely' get more for less.... AMD supporters (me included) hammered this point home endlessley previously when the shoe was on the other foot.....

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu

xazos79

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Put it this way.....for me price completely dictates what i buy. Therefore i have an Athlon XP. If the situation was completely reversed then i'd buy a Pentium 4.

Now in the unlikey situation that prices were on par, it would fall back on the cheaper 'total' hardware solution. (This is assuming performance is the same. If its not, i'd obviously go for the better performing system for the same price.)

jy88888888

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
Looked in a catalogue and found the P4 2.2 for £515.83 and the XP2000+ for £235.00. Pretty much says it all doesn't it? Buy AMD and if you want faster, overclock it! Simple as that? Oh, forgot, save a lot too!

AMD VS INTEL - AMD anyday

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
First of all, you're getting majorly ripped off on that 2.2. That price equals almost $750US, which is like $1200CAN (I live in Canada). I can get a 2.2 for about $800 and then after that price cut, it'll be around... $350 Canadian dollar that is!! I don't know about you guys but that doesn't sound bad to me. I know that the AXP processor is superior in many ways, but I think you guys are overinflating the prices a bit.

It is all a matter of personal preference In MY OPINION...
Some like Ford, Some like Chevy. Some like Mercedes. Now they will all get you where you want to go. It just depends on what you are willing to pay for the ride.

Now I personally use Intel on Asus motherboards. This is my choice. I can afford it. And do not consider it a waste of money. Intel products hold there value better than AMD products. So when I sell my old used cpus I get more of my money back. Which means the new cpu cost less. I never buy the top of the line model. That is a waste of money.This goes for Amd as well as Intel.
Now the only thing I keep hearing is that AMD cost less. SO WHAT. A YUGO cost less too. Are you driving one??? probably not. Why???? Because you bought what you wanted to buy.

And yes it is as simple as that. Buy what you want to buy .

Asus tusl2-c
P3@1178
256mb ram
G3 Ti 200
6783 3dm2k1
<A HREF="http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=2629661" target="_new">http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=2629661</A>

I aint signing nothing!!!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I want to try FatBurger's challenge in the summer when I have the time, but not because I think AMD is better, but because I like a good, fun friendly challenge.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
Run that system at stock speeds, give me a cost, and I can no doubt beat its performance for less using an AMD CPU =)

I like both AMD and Intel, although I have opted for all AMD since the Athlon came out (and all Intel before that since pentium days).

The price performance ratio is an important factor. I dont understand however any claim that says "I got one specific chip and I am running it out of spec so AMD does not have a bettr price performance". This is rubbish. While I agree with you that for someone like you or I a P4 1.6A IS CERTAINLY a great value, most people dont overclock and on top of that you are talking about ONE CPU out of the many Intel makes.

Intel certainly does charge more for the equivalent product, that is the advantage of being the industry leader. I do not fault Intel for this in any way, it is a common proactice that industry leaders can, do, and even maybe should charge more.

So in answer to the original post, yes Intel gets a little extra just cuz it says Intel on it, just like Kleenex gets a few pennies extra for tissues or Heinze gets a few extra cents for ketchup....

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

eden

Champion
The AthlonXP's low price isn't the only thing that makes it so unique, it's the fact it holds performance above that and quality, compared to what low prices would usually indicate on a product. The outstanding performance these processors give, as well as the relatively low price they have, in mobo prices and RAM equals value for all those who are low on money, LIKE ME. If you may, come see Canadian pricing, and see how much we save on AXPs to know the fact that P4 systems are still far more expensive and lower performing for the price in CDN. I could save up to 100$ CDN, put it towards more RAM and have a system that still performs better.

BTW if AMD was out, and Intel was alone, and they would start charging what they want, such as double the pricing, how in the world would they expect revenues? People say if one company is alone it charges, but when those prices that were high already, go astronomical from 600$ US to 1200$, WHO other than Dell zealots would buy such? That is what also continues the price drops, and not just AMD.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Bullshit. You can't possibly get a 2.2Ghz PIVa in Canada for 350. That's just not possible or even likely. The AXP is much better per dollar. Hell, you can get an AXP 1800+ for like $120 which practically can beat all the PIV 1.4-2.0 Ghz and competative to the 1.8PIVa. Don't forget to, the average user, i'd have to say ? won't have the confidence to overclock a 1.6PIVa up to 2.2Ghz. They'd be better off getting an AXP for the cost.

"When there's a will, there's a way."

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
The 1.6A is basically the new 300A. (For those too young to know what a 300A is I suggest a Yahoo or Google search. The Celeron 300A overclocked to 450MHz 99.999% of the time with complete stability. Some got it to over 500MHz.) There is nothing to fear but fear itself.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
Well it was 99.999% of 300A made in a certain factory (malaysia??) that were great. I had one myself as the P2 450 was over $400 at the time and the celeron was about $100 =) Easy and stable OC no matter the board cuz it WAS a P2 100mhz FSB that they burnt the second cache unit out of cuz the older celerys didnt have cache as I am certain you remember....

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

eden

Champion
Yes but the 300A's performance was downright crappy, and even at 450MHZ (I don't find so much impressive of that but anyway back then it probably was) it was probably not better than a P2 450MHZ or 400MHZ.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Just about all of them could hit 450MHz, regardless of the factory. The few special ones could hit over 500MHz. Those were good days.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =