Sign in with
Your question

PC Doesn't start after removing 2nd hdd and changing boot order

Last response: in Windows 7
February 24, 2013 3:32:34 PM

I can really use some help right now.

This morning my pc didn't boot and for the past 7 hours i'm trying to fix it , but things got even worse.

To be able to use the repair disc method , i unplugged the 2nd hdd cable (disabling it from bios didn't work) , then i changed the boot order at the bios.

After doing this , the pc didn't start at all. I get power, the normal sounds, however the bios splash screen and nothing appeared.

I just did the 'jumper' thing in the motherboard , and i set the cmos to default according to the manual , however i still get nothing.

PC.
win 7 64 bit ultimate
asus p8p67 mobo
i5 2400
16 gb ram
gtx 670
a b $ Windows 7
February 24, 2013 3:51:01 PM

check that the hard drives and the cd-rom drives are connected to the Intel sata ports. if you plug the cd-rom into the 3party sata ports it can hang the asus mb. also in the bios make sure the sata ports are set to achi mode not raid or ide. on another pc make a hirem boot cd and try and boot off of the cd. if the system hangs and wont boot from the cd. bare bones the pc. use the onboard video and one dimm and the cd-rom drive. hopfully it one of the drives hanging the system and not a chipset failure on the mb.
a b $ Windows 7
February 24, 2013 3:51:04 PM

Ensure you unplug the power supply when doing the cmos clear thing. Even leave the clean cmos jumper on for a bit if needed.

If you can not boot Windows with the second drive removed. Chances are that the boot loader(normally found in a hidden "System Reserved" partition) was on that drive.

If you can get it to post again and add that hard drive back, You can use a program like EasyBCD to place a boot loader and BCD entry on the windows hard drive and its partition. This will allow you do boot normal.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Eas...

If you are having trouble posting still, Try to remove and reinsert the memory and video card as these can become loose when playing in the system(normally you should get an error beep, but yea, worth a shot).

Please keep us posted on how things are going.
Related resources
February 24, 2013 4:09:34 PM

If we forget the 'windows' not booting problem that happened 8 hours ago, right now when i turn on the pc , i get the usual sounds however nothing appears on the screen. No bios, no windows. The orange hdd light also turns off after 5 seconds.

While changing the place of the jumper , the pc was unplugged from the power cable
a b $ Windows 7
February 24, 2013 4:21:20 PM

may be with the clearing of the cmos the onboard gpu is now the main video output.
February 24, 2013 4:33:40 PM

smorizio said:
may be with the clearing of the cmos the onboard gpu is now the main video output.

After removing the cables of the 2nd hdd , got bios screen. Then i went in bios and changed boot priorty. After that the bios didn'T show up again.
a b $ Windows 7
February 24, 2013 5:08:13 PM

make sure you pull the gpu out of the system to make sure your running off the onboard gpu..then with video working..update your bios to the newest rev..for all the bug fixes.
February 24, 2013 5:12:59 PM

smorizio said:
make sure you pull the gpu out of the system to make sure your running off the onboard gpu..then with video working..update your bios to the newest rev..for all the bug fixes.

i dont think my motherboard has an onboard gpu. And the fact that the hdd lights turn off after 2-3 seconds makes me thing its not related to gpu
February 24, 2013 9:02:39 PM

I did everything that is written on the internet but no luck.
At first , the windows didn't boot with first hanging at windows icon, then giving blue screen.

While i was trying to fix it to recover disc , i unplugged the 2nd hdd and started the pc, the bios screen was there and i changed the boot priorty. (The disc was at first and i made the primary hdd first again)
But after that - pc powers on NO BIOS NO WINDOWS NOTHING:S

My primary hdd is a 1TB Seagate and its 1 year old , the 2nd hdd is a 6-7 year old samsung hdd and as someone here mentioned above, the 2nd hdd may contain a 100mb boot partition that i'm not aware of.
February 25, 2013 8:05:46 AM

I'm hearing 'click' sounds inside the case now, i think its from the one of the hdd's but i'm not sure which one.
I'll be really angry if the 1 year old 1tb seagate is dead but the 7 year old samsung is alive
!