Somethin' strange in the neighborhood...

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This is weird. I posted a problem that I was having with the CPU usage constantly being high, at like 80%+. I then concluded that it is probably just the programs not displaying it correctly, as it didn't always do it. Now, though, I'm not sure...

This is what is happening. While I was surfing the net, I noticed that the Dial-up Networkin Icon in the taskbar was flashing real fast, faster than normal. I tried opening it, but double clicking wouldn't work. In fact, double clicking wouldn't open anything. I then right clicked and checked status, and everything was indeed moving faster than normal, even the time!!! Every second would pass by in only a fraction of a second. I then checked the Windows clock in the lower right corner, and sure enough it too was counting up about 10 times faster than it should be (went up 20 minutes in about 2 minutes). That was really strange. Also, normally when I click on a menu, like the Start Menu, or file menu, it comes down quickly, but gradually, and you can actually see it popping down. But, all of a sudden they were appearing instantly. Right now, as I'm typing this, with nothing else running, CPU usage is at about 12-15%. But when everything was going super fast, CPU usage was showing as being at about 75%. Strange, yes? Also, when this was happening I decided to run 3DMark2001. It completed 8 tests in about a minute. Normally the car chase and dragothic scenes would take about 30 seconds each to complete, but each one was being completed in about 4 or 5 seconds, but the FPS was only being shown at 3-5 fps, and it came back scoring only 235 marks. Also, one time while Baldur's Gate was being played, it did the same thing, everyhting moving faster than it should. All the guys would run around about 10 times faster than normal. This is really confusing me... Any thoughts?

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
That is definently the most F*CKED UP thing ive ever heard of!

ur 100% sure that Ghosts dont live in ur house man ?

Anyways..lol......go into ur bios...and check to see if the seconds count SUPER fast like that again.....if it does....id have to say ur motherboard is cursed.....

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
You have some broken clock circuitry on your motherboard apparently. This is causing incorrect readings for CPU usage, the time, frames per second displays, and how fast just about any game and game-based benchmark runs by. I would recommend you get a new motherboard.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If I reboot the problem goes away, so I can't check in the BIOS. If the problem persists I'll RMA the board, as I haven't noticed it much...

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
It could possibly be broken ACPI implementation or the like. I would make sure you have the latest BIOS, then disable all power management features in the BIOS and in Windows, and see what happens.

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?

You can also try and set your bios to the default and see if it still happens. You could also try flashing your BIOS to the latest version. You can try that. Won't hurt any. Might even save you the RMA trip.

If that still fails then i believe rayston would be possibly right about the clock circuitry being fried. You might also want to check the cpu tempature. If rayston is right then it could be possible that the cpu is irregulating pulses (making it run faster or slower, but in your case it's faster, then what it says) and can cause damage to the cpu. Kind of like an irregular heart beat. Thats what it sounds like. If the cpu temp is irregularly high (like say a 1600+ and the temps are like 60C - 70C and you would normally get 35 to 45 range, i'd worry) then yes you may want to definitly RMA the board and the cpu.

Why would it complete a program in less time and at a lesser fps. Probably has to do with the irregular pulse rate. Shooting 5mhz and then 300mhz and then back to 10mhz and up to 1000mhz etc ...

just theory's so ...

It's definitly odd and odd is only bad. Usually when odd things occure it's the hardware causing it. Like loud grinding sounds and then a quick slam sound from the hard drive for example lol. Happened to me. Can anyone else claim that? ... I think your problem is definitly unique! You should be proud! You made your computer run 10 times faster without any effort lol. Geeze, back in the 486 days people would love a 330mhz speed. Even if the time is also moving 10 times faster heh.

goodluck.. keep us inform about it! I'm sure all of us would like to know what the problem was!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
BIOS is flashed to the latest version. In terms of CPU temperature (TBird 1333), general use is about 50-51°C, and under heavy load (running Prime95 for hours) it may get to 61°. That's not terribly hot. I'll also give disabling ACPI a try and see if the problem occurs again. It's hard for me to say what's causing it as it's only happened twice as far as I can tell. It may have happened more, but I just haven't noticed it, but I haven't noticed my clock being off by any other than the time I described. Yes, this is a very unique problem :).

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
When I bought this new motherboard (Asus A7N266-C), I did reformat and reinstall Windows 98 SE. But, I was getting poor video performance, so I reinstalled again. It's a fresh reinstall, so I don't think that's the problem. I'll just wait to see if it happens again.

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It happened again... What caused it (or atleast what I was doing when it happened) was I was in the Disply Properties going to set a background. I clicked the Browse... button and the explorer-like windows came up. When I clicked the little down arrow to display all the directories, the computer slowed down, basically stopping for a second or two, because it needed to access the CD drive to get track information. When it started up again all done reading the CD, it was in turbo mode. It only lasted maybe 30-45 seconds this time... I think an RMA is in order.