Precocious Apprentice for a Bard

I just noticed that Precocious Apprentice (Complete Arcane) can
theoretically be chosen by a first-level Bard. Which is funny, since
a first-level Bard can't cast *first* level spells yet...

What spell would you choose, were you to take this feat? I'm
thinking Sound Burst or Invisibility, though one of the buff spells
(Bull's Strength?) or Heroism might be amazing for a first-level
party.

Whirling Blades (Complete Arcane) and Insidious Rhythm (Complete
Adventurer) might make interesting choices for the right build,
though it'd be funny watching the longsword (or whatever) just
*plonk* onto the ground on a failed cast of the former.

Anyone want to provide a good 28-point build on this base idea?
I'm especially curious as to which other feat you'd choose for a
human build.

--
Donald

In article <d8gedl$688$1@agate.berkeley.edu>,
tsang@soda.csua.berkeley.edu says...

> I just noticed that Precocious Apprentice (Complete Arcane) can
> theoretically be chosen by a first-level Bard. Which is funny, since
> a first-level Bard can't cast *first* level spells yet...
>
> What spell would you choose, were you to take this feat? I'm
> thinking Sound Burst or Invisibility, though one of the buff spells
> (Bull's Strength?) or Heroism might be amazing for a first-level
> party.
>
> Whirling Blades (Complete Arcane) and Insidious Rhythm (Complete
> Adventurer) might make interesting choices for the right build,
> though it'd be funny watching the longsword (or whatever) just
> *plonk* onto the ground on a failed cast of the former.

Bladeweave (CAdv) is a very cool Brd2 spell, and it's a swift action to
cast, so if you fail, you don't miss your turn, you just don't have the
spell.

> Anyone want to provide a good 28-point build on this base idea?
> I'm especially curious as to which other feat you'd choose for a
> human build.

I've been creating some melee bards lately, and the first two feats are
always a problem: everything I really want has prerequisites (Snowflake
Wardance, Arcane Strike, Song of the Heart...).

For a melee bard, Combat Expertise is good, since if you really care to,
you can boost your attack pretty high, and you'll likely have the Int
for it anyway.

For a spellcaster/support bard, Improved Inititative might be useful.
The sooner your turn comes up, the sooner your side starts getting
inspire courage bonuses.

Spell Focus (enchantment) or (illusion) are obvious choices, but that
doesn't make them any less useful.

Heighten Spell is good for bards, I think. Enchantments tend to be type
of spells that benefit the most from Heighten, and you can take Heighten
a 1st even if you can't use it, allowing you to take feats with
prerequisites later.

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

Donald Tsang wrote:
> I just noticed that Precocious Apprentice (Complete Arcane) can
> theoretically be chosen by a first-level Bard. Which is funny, since
> a first-level Bard can't cast *first* level spells yet...

Is this a feat? Is it called something else? I can't find it in
Complete Arcane. What page number?

In article <jmjre.5342$yU.206262@news20.bellglobal.com>,
Shawn Roske <shawn_roske@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>Donald Tsang wrote:
>> I just noticed that Precocious Apprentice (Complete Arcane) can
>> theoretically be chosen by a first-level Bard. Which is funny, since
>> a first-level Bard can't cast *first* level spells yet...
>>

>Is this a feat? Is it called something else? I can't find it in
>Complete Arcane. What page number?

Look in the "Arcane Campaigns" section (sorry, IDHTBIFOM). It's right next
to "Collegiate Wizard", which has been discussed recently on rgfd.

On the other hand, it was also posted "In the Works":

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041114a

--
Donald