PIII-M or Athlon 4?

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
my sister wants to buy a laptop computer...can anyone recomend a good laptop maufacturer (i was thinkng IBM...but too expensive...but im leaning towards sony)?
another thing is what processor is better for laptops...the athlon 4 or mobile PIII?...my guess would be the athlon is better...but im not sure...any suggestions?
btw...no way in hell im getting a mobile P4(unless its absolutely neccessary)...just FYI...

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
they're just not worth the price right now (and they're too expensive)...and they're too slow...and they use pc2100 ram instead of rdram...they should at least use pc2700...then ill consider it....
im trying to keep the price below $1400 right now....
here's more info on what i want my sister to have:

1 ghz min. (on either cpu)
128mb ram if OS is win 2k.
256mb ram if OS is win xp.
20 gig HD.
dvd/cdrw combo.
floppy drive (internal or external...doesnt matter)
14 or 15 in. display.

software extras are not required because i can install what she needs myself...

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Yeah...the current P4-M are relative crap.

I would get a Sony Vaio FX series-one of the two following models (ordered by price)
Mobile Athlon 4 1.0Ghz or 1.2Ghz
256MB DDR PC-266/512MB PC-266
20BG/30Gig HD
DVD and CDRW combo
Removable floppy
14.1"/15.0" Monitor
8MB Ati Rage Mobility
Built in ethernet and firewire

FXA47-$1400
FXA49-$1700

The FXA49 has a 100 rebate, good deal at 1600

I have a friend going to college who bought the FXA47-good for everything except games. Otherwise...watch dvds...burn CDs...listen to music...type up crap...just about anything not seriously graphic intensive.

"When there's a will, there's a way."

Harisahmed

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2002
Do you know of any good AMD laptops, hoping to avoid Compaq/HP? I've been looking at maybe getting a desktop replacement laptop instead of a new desktop. I'm not heavy into gaming, but that might change soon. I was looking for a laptop configured like this:
1.0Ghz or 1.2Ghz Intel/AMD
512MB Memory
30Gig HD
8x or 16x DVD/CDRW combo
15.0" UXGA/XGA+ Monitor
32MB ATI/nVidia
WinXP Prof.

Any suggestions welcome.

Kemche

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2001
We all know that AMD does good Desktop processors but I don't think they are that good in Laptop. Most of the Laptop user don't care about the preformance like desktop users. What matters is the Battery life, Stability, and heat. I recommend Intel is because their P4a desktop runs very cold and some vendors are using that processor in labtop instead of P4M. So if you are trying to get a P3 you will notice the same difference. And P3 Mobile chips are mostly on Taulatin core so they run even cooler then P4's chip. You will also find that most of the Athlon 4 labtops are not made to be laptops they are more like a desktop replacement.

What else also matter is the Warranty on the machine. Most of the laptops are very stable, but what you will notice is that for some reason something may break. Sometimes you will put in on the table little harder, sometimes you will knock it against door. Not on purpose, but accidently when you are going out. And this little kicks and knocks will add to failures. You must make sure that you get a good waranty on it. I think Dell has a 3 year waranty which is perfect because by the time the waranty is over it will be time for you to get a new laptop any ways.

KG

<b>"Hey! It compiles! Ship it!"</b>

Kemche

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2001
About the WinXP Prof you want on your laptop. I don't think there are any Mfgr offering this OS on the AMD machines. They have the WinXP home edition not the Prof edition. Don't know why?

KG

<b>"Hey! It compiles! Ship it!"</b>

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
You can easily call them up and ask for Pro on a machine. They just won't let you configure it normaly because they figure most people don't need it (And most people don't.)

As for a good Desktop replacement system, Dell makes a good one. The Inspirons are quite nice. STAY AWAY FROM THE LATITUDES. IBM makes great laptops, and they cover everything with a good waranty.

Make sure you get a UXGA display. Dell also has some special Dell Ultrasharp monitor, not sure what that is though, and I can't find any info on it on Dell's site.

Trollin' trollin' trollin', keep them doggies postin', my fingers are swollen, Rawhide!

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Unfortunately, AMD currently doesn't have any really good laptops that have an Athlon 4 and a decent graphics card. I know Dell has the top of the line Gf2 Go and Radeon 7.5k mobility. Most i've seen for AMD are Ati rage mobility or the integegrated S3 savage mobility.

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
"We all know that AMD does good Desktop processors but I don't think they are that good in Laptop. Most of the Laptop user don't care about the preformance like desktop users"

I completely disagree. Have you even seen a mobile Athlon 4 actually running? They are very powerful, easily faster than some of the P3 Tualatins. As for power, they have plenty of battery life in them (easily 3 hours under full load).

"I recommend Intel is because their P4a desktop runs very cold and some vendors are using that processor in labtop instead of P4M. So if you are trying to get a P3 you will notice the same difference. And P3 Mobile chips are mostly on Tualatin core so they run even cooler then P4's chip. You will also find that most of the Athlon 4 labtops are not made to be laptops they are more like a desktop replacement."

Actually you are wrong. It's the other way around. The P4m is realative crap right now due to several problems. It only gets by on DDR PC-266 which starves the P4 of bandwidth. It needs RDR or dual channel DDR...both are highly unlikely ever to be "mobile". Also, the Athlon 4 and P3 tualatin handily have beaten the Piv-m in overall performance and battery life.

"What else also matter is the Warranty on the machine. "
That's sort of a duh.

The way you put it, you don't sound like you know a whole lot about laptops =/ Intel needs to work on the Piv-m before it gains any real use. Expensive and weak, it is no match for a decent P3m or Athlon 4.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Clock for clock, the PIII-M and Mobile Athlon produce similar performance. Dell and Toshiba have nice laptops, the ATI mobile Radeon (whatever the number is) far outperforms nVidia's mobile solution.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?