Is clockless the way?

johnnyx

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2002
I recently read an article in Technology review magazine about clockless processors. I will try to find a link to it , but to sum it up: (according to the article) The higher the clock speed of a cpu the more energy and space is spent on the clock mechanism that keep the 50 million transistors cooridinated at over 2 billion times a second. So even though the higher clock rates are acheived, less actual calculations are done in a sense. If the clock is eliminated, it said that 3 times as many calculations could be performed using half the power so kinda like 3 times the speed. How ever this would require many changes in our current supporting hardware to work. There also might not be a big enough market for it. I would love to hear what every one thinks about this.

If an orange was driving a racecar would it peel out?

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i don't remember if he started the thread, but Raystonn contributed to a thread about this some months ago i think...let me go dig...

<i>EDIT: Ok, found it <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=272067#272067" target="_new">HERE</A></i>

no vestige of a beginning, no prospect of an end, when we all disintegrate, it'll all happen again.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jollygrinch on 04/05/02 04:23 PM.</EM></FONT></P>