jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
I was recently told that IBM have made a sudden leap in CPU technology and plan to start marketting CPUs that run at tens of gigerhertz by the end of the year. These CPUs will apparently be available at competetive prices and be available to home users.

I went to thier website recently I found an article that says IBM have successfully made a processor that runs at a whoping 110Ghz (the article can be found at http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/news/2002/0225_fast.html). But the article tells us little else.

I was wondering if anyone else knows anything and if what I have heard is true. I doubt that it is but I would be interested in finding out. Would this kind of CPU only be usefull for servers? How fast would RAM have to be with such a CPU?

Windows XP - Its windows Jim but not as we know it.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Last I heard, it wasn't a full processor, just a transistor. Also, any processor based on this technology would only be powerful enough to run in switches/routers/etc for a good while.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

dhlucke

Polypheme
Fatburger is right. There was an article in popular science and you're not the first person who's come to me and said that computers will be at 10+Ghz by the end of the year.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
You could put a jet engine in a VW Jetta but where would you be able to drive it?

I can't think of a good signature so I'll use this one.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Most likely into a cliff, at very high speeds.

(That story is also false, BTW)

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft