Dimension HDD 8200 size

Greetings, does anyone know what the limiting size for a HDD is within a
Dimension 8200??

TIA

Regards,
John
5 answers Last reply
More about dimension 8200 size

    The only limit is how much you're willing to spend.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
    >The only limit is how much you're willing to spend.

    So you know for sure it supports 48-bit LBA?

    Ted Zieglar wrote:
    > The only limit is how much you're willing to spend.

    Do you mean that they don't come for free? :-)

    Seriously, I thought that there was a BIOS limit that meant they
    couldn't drives larger than X!! (& I thought X was about 160G).

    Regards,
    John

    You're right. You deserve a more detailed answer:

    At present there is no practical limit, either in Windows or the BIOS, to
    the size of hard disk you can install in a Dell Home or Small Business
    computer. Currently, the largest parallel ATA hard disk widely available is
    250GB. You shouldn't expect there to be much of an increase here, since
    serial ATA technology is fast eclipsing parallel ATA. None of the serial ATA
    disks currently available will pose any problem for Windows or the BIOS -
    presuming that your motherboard supports serial ATA directly or via an
    adapter card - but who knows if this may change in the future.
    --

    > Ted Zieglar wrote:
    > > The only limit is how much you're willing to spend.
    >
    > Do you mean that they don't come for free? :-)
    >
    > Seriously, I thought that there was a BIOS limit that meant they
    > couldn't drives larger than X!! (& I thought X was about 160G).
    >
    > Regards,
    > John

    I've had a 250gig in my Dimension 8200 for quite some time now. No problem
    at all.

    <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
    > "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
    >>The only limit is how much you're willing to spend.
    >
    > So you know for sure it supports 48-bit LBA?

Dell Dimension Hard Drives Computers