Dimension HDD 8200 size

Greetings, does anyone know what the limiting size for a HDD is within a
Dimension 8200??

TIA

Regards,
John

The only limit is how much you're willing to spend.
--
Ted Zieglar

"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
>The only limit is how much you're willing to spend.

So you know for sure it supports 48-bit LBA?

Ted Zieglar wrote:
> The only limit is how much you're willing to spend.

Do you mean that they don't come for free? :)

Seriously, I thought that there was a BIOS limit that meant they
couldn't drives larger than X!! (& I thought X was about 160G).

Regards,
John

You're right. You deserve a more detailed answer:

At present there is no practical limit, either in Windows or the BIOS, to
the size of hard disk you can install in a Dell Home or Small Business
computer. Currently, the largest parallel ATA hard disk widely available is
250GB. You shouldn't expect there to be much of an increase here, since
serial ATA technology is fast eclipsing parallel ATA. None of the serial ATA
disks currently available will pose any problem for Windows or the BIOS -
presuming that your motherboard supports serial ATA directly or via an
adapter card - but who knows if this may change in the future.
--

> Ted Zieglar wrote:
> > The only limit is how much you're willing to spend.
>
> Do you mean that they don't come for free? :)
>
> Seriously, I thought that there was a BIOS limit that meant they
> couldn't drives larger than X!! (& I thought X was about 160G).
>
> Regards,
> John

I've had a 250gig in my Dimension 8200 for quite some time now. No problem
at all.