AMD CPU post troubles.

Recently built a new AMD system, and at POST i am getting a strange error....i am thinking it is because the processor that i am using is an AMD 2100 and my motherboard does not have the settings for it in its CMOS...yet.

specs:
ABIT KR7A-133 MB
AMD Athlon XP 2100
512MB Kingston 2100 DDR SDRAM
80 GB Maxtor 7200rpm Ultra ATA 133

i think this is enough system info. Anyhow the message that i get at post, is "CPU is unworkable or has been changed. Please check settings in Soft Menu" If i press the F1 key to continue, it loads up fine, and everything works great! I am just wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem, and fixed it? Thank you!
11 answers Last reply
More about post troubles
  1. Well, it's not always motherboard specific. Sometimes, you need to reflash your bios to have the motherboard correctly identify the CPU.

"When there's a will, there's a way."
  2. Thats what i was sort of thinking is that the BIOS was not quite updated enough yet for the 2100's. Especially since in the list of processors the last setting is a 2000.
  3. Prolly need to update the Bios. I bet there will be another upgrade in order with the release of the AXP 2200+ Palamino

4. I don't think Abit has updated it yet. It still is BIOS version <b><A HREF="http://www.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webjsp/english/download_content.jsp?pTITLE=KR7A+%2F+KR7A-RAID&#Bios" target="_new"><font color=red>6N</A></b></font color=red> as its first release.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
  5. I see =/ Well, I guess Abit has some work to do

6. Great, thanx for the info guys,i will keep watching ABIT!
  7. lol, ok :)

8. If possible, you can unlock your CPU (so you can lower its multiplier) and run it at 166MHz FSB (it will automatically adjust PCI divider from 1/4 to 1/5 according to <b><A HREF="http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kg7kr7/overclocking.htm" target="_new"><font color=blue>Paul's Unofficial ABIT KG7-RAID and KR7-RAID FAQ</A></b></font color=blue>) as I've been running my XP1600+ on KR7A-RAID, but you're going to need better RAM (PC2700).

<b><A HREF="http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=3191879" target="_new">My 3DMark2k1</A></b>

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
  9. Quote:
    Especially since in the list of processors the last setting is a 2000.

Does your SoftMenu has a setting <b><font color=red>'over 13'</b></font color=red> for multiplier, and if it does, have you tried it? Mine has, but it doesn't work on my XP1600+, and the setting <b><font color=red>'13'</b></font color=red> actually is 12.5 when I tried it.

10. You can manually set the PCI and AGP ratio dividers? So then...you could make a gradual change to low muliplier and high FSB...really high...cool :)

11. yup, thats what i did, and it got rid of the halt message...boots all the way through now!! Thanx again!!
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD