A word of thank from a lurker...

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
I've been lurking on THG forum for the last eight months, reading most threads on the CPU forum. I learned a great deal on computer hardware from reading all of you. I finally tested my newly acquired knowledge by upgrading my old Shuttle HOT-553 based system ( 48 Mb EDO & P55C MMX 200MHz CPU ) To a new A7V333, Duron Morgan 1GHz, 128 Mb 266 DDR. I migrated all the other parts, 40 Gb 5400 rpm Maxtor, NEC-NR7500 8x/4x/32x, 16Mb PCI Guillemot Maxi Gamer Voodoo Banshee & Diamond Supra 2260 56Kbps. I completed my upgrade project without asking for any outside help and I did it in a shorter amount of time then I tought was possible ( approximately 8 hours ). I don't know how much money I saved by building this system myself, but the learning experience was priceless !

For that, I wish to thank you all ! Keep posting !

Fok Speling Misstake<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by SidVicious on 04/06/02 04:03 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

eden

Champion
Hey great you got what you wanted for the money, but I'll have to admit, it's a pretty waste of money on that A7V333 for a Duron that would need a 50$ ECS mainboard instead, and also the DDR which only needs 200MHZ not 266. Maybe you should look into upgrading the CPU, else it's a big waste IMO of mobo and RAM. A nice AthlonXP 1800 would do the trick for low cost, and also will use the new thermal protection.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
The main reason I choose that particular board is it's upgrading potential. The Thoroughbred is not available yet and PC2700 CAS 2 is nearly imposible to get for a reasonable amount of money. The 128Mb DDR @ 266 memory is a gift from my father. I plan on upgrading gradually that system for the next few years, an ECS board would have been a limiting factor.

Fok Speling Misstake