Sign in with
Your question

Dictation on Windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
February 24, 2013 11:24:34 PM

Hello,
I have a Dell Latitude D410 with Windows 7 on it, and I recently learned that Windows 7 has a dictation software on it. I tried two types of headphones, the kind that you talk hands-free on the phone, and while I could definitely hear that they were plugged in, the system wouldn't pick up any voices. My dad is a techie, so he took a look at my laptop, but didn't seem to have any ideas. Anyone have a clue?

More about : dictation windows

a b $ Windows 7
February 24, 2013 11:40:56 PM

How was the headset connected to the computer? Unless it's USB or IEEE 1394, you need to make sure it's connected to a microphone or line-in jack as well as the speaker jack. I think phones sometimes have those combined, so a headset like that wouldn't work for a computer.
m
l
February 25, 2013 2:06:53 AM

MauveCloud said:
How was the headset connected to the computer? Unless it's USB or IEEE 1394, you need to make sure it's connected to a microphone or line-in jack as well as the speaker jack. I think phones sometimes have those combined, so a headset like that wouldn't work for a computer.

MauveCloud,
My laptop has a headphone jack and a microphone jack right next to each other. Like I said, when I plugged them in I could hear white noise in the headphone jack and the computer was responding (sort of) when it was plugged into the microphone jack. Any suggestions as to headset microphones that won't break the bank?
m
l
Related resources
July 23, 2013 3:34:13 AM

Hi Fox1944b6

I am trying to use the Windows 7 dictation software and faced the same issue that you have described, i.e. using a headphone with inbuilt mic of my mobile. so, just curious if using a conventional headphone worked?

Thanks
Srihari

Fox1944b6 said:

Good idea. Thanks MauveCloud!

m
l
!